Sound Off on Current Diesel Price

eyetdiman

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Passat TDI Sedan
Sorry I sold my '04 Jetta TDI, getting 50 plus MPG with Diesel at $4.49 in the Chicago area; but the '04 Passat TDI I traded it in for is doing pretty good at 42 MPG...even so, I still miss her, that black beauty with those 32 mods.

TDI2Fan

Veteran Member
TDI
2000/2001/2002/2004/2009 Jetta GLS Auto/Auto/5M/5M/DSG 2010 A3/DSG
My favorite fuel stop was holding a $3.999 as of today. Most others in the area are over $4.159 and I have seen $4.459 for D2.

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
$ 4.39 Shell in DE . what the heck happened , isn't the winter over ...
I am still waiting for IRS to raise the mileage rate :mad:

Brian.Burress

Veteran Member
Copperas Cove, TX most of the Time, Lebanon, IN us
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, TipTronic GONE...
I only go to 2 places here in town, depending on which one is open nad which is cheaper at the time. Also depends on if there are many gassers at the double pump. If I have to wait on a gasser to fuel up at the only 2 pumps that sell Diesel, I usually just go to the other station. Also has 2 pumps for Diesel.

Chevron - 4.139. Valero - 4.099.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
In California, Arco and Thrifty are both owned by BP -- they sell the same fuels, and generally have low prices.

Diesel at the closest Thrifty to my house has been stuck at $4.339 for nearly a week. Today the price fell to $4.319. Too small to be a big deal. But after watching diesel climb 90-95 cents/gallon since February 1st, it's good to see prices stabilizing and maybe starting to drop a bit.

zx12mike

TDI
1998 New Beetle 1.9TDI
I think its terrible that we diesel drivers have to make up the slack of proffits that the gas drivers are not paying. Owner of VA oil told me that they only make pennys on the dollar for gas, but make up the differance on diesel with a dollar plus proffit on a gallon.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
zx12mike said:
I think its terrible that we diesel drivers have to make up the slack of proffits that the gas drivers are not paying. Owner of VA oil told me that they only make pennys on the dollar for gas, but make up the differance on diesel with a dollar plus proffit on a gallon.
Overall, refiners made 5-6 cents per gallon in the 1st quarter. Considering the price differential between gasoline and distillates, the refiners probably lost money on every gallon of gasoline... and not just a few cents either.

KA1CQR

TDI
99 New Beetle TDI
Steady at $4.399

Eastern CT been holding steady at $4.399 for the last couple weeks at the Shell and 7-11 across the street. Gee, I sure can't wait for Governor Rell to raise the diesel tax another quarter on the first of July :mad: .

lovemybug

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Red Beetle
Was up in MN this past weekend and filled up there for $4.09. Last I saw, down here it was still about $4.22-4.29 per gallon.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
Just filled up tonight at $4.19 at the Raceway in Woodbridge,NJ. The station still had a LSD sticker on the pump. When I mentioned to the attendant that he is more than likely pumping USLD, he just kept nodding and saying "Yes, yes, yes".

vdub6273

TDI
2001 Jetta
Passed by a station selling diesel for $4.54 / Gallon just north of Spokane, WA. The lowest I've seen around here is $4.32.

MrPolak

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 New Beetle TDI
zx12mike said:
Considering that most of our goods get moved via semi truck, that is a BIG OLE poke in the eye of the US economy.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Just noticed that the Flying J truckstops up north in Barstow (I-15) and Frazier (I-5) Park bumped their diesel prices by 6 more cents/gallon, to $4.399 and $4.389. Still a handful of stations around San Diego charging $4.29-4.35, but these prices won't last long. I topped up with only 8+ gallons yesterday, but by next Monday or Tuesday I will probably have to pay $4.45 or $4.50.

Cheapest RUG is about $3.79-3.85. Weak demand for gasoline is continuing to reduce refining margins, cutting refinery production and utilization. Until there is a big drop in crude oil prices, and at least some rebound in the demand for gasoline, I don't see any change in the current pattern. Nobody wants gasoline, nobody wants to sit on a big inventory of gasoline, but they can't produce diesel without producing gasoline.

Edit: forgot to mention that ethanol production also reduces the demand for gasoline, gallon for gallon, and thus also contributes to reduced refinery runs and lower diesel production. And that high crop prices mean farmers will still try to plant every acre, if it every stops raining in the Midwest -- but tractors burn lots of diesel, more I think to plant and harvest corn than to grow soybeans.

Last edited:

Brokk

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 GLS TDI JETTA
I travel around eastern washington with work and have seen approx $4.49 per gallon about everywhere.

KA1CQR

TDI
99 New Beetle TDI
Eastern CT

Just jumped up from $4.39 yesterday to $4.49 today in Plainfield CT at the Citgo and Shell stations. RUL is $3.89 at Shell, $3.84 at Citgo.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TornadoRed said:
Just noticed that the Flying J truckstops up north in Barstow (I-15) and Frazier (I-5) Park bumped their diesel prices by 6 more cents/gallon, to $4.399 and $4.389. Still a handful of stations around San Diego charging $4.29-4.35, but these prices won't last long. I topped up with only 8+ gallons yesterday, but by next Monday or Tuesday I will probably have to pay $4.45 or $4.50.
It didn't take long... I drove by a Thrifty (BP) station this morning, still $4.339. Four hours later it was $4.559... up 22 cents.

VWGMDIESELFAN

Veteran Member
TDI
(totaled 4/30/2014) 2002 JETTA GLS TDI
I just paid $4.39 for D2 and $4.99 for B99 in Aurora Oregon. D2 is high enough, I feal like pealing my Biodiesel sticker off my car and getting D2 only. I splash blend at the station but am now buying less and less Bio as it get more and more expensive.

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
TornadoRed said:

Cheapest RUG is about $3.79-3.85. Weak demand for gasoline is continuing to reduce refining margins, cutting refinery production and utilization. Until there is a big drop in crude oil prices, and at least some rebound in the demand for gasoline, I don't see any change in the current pattern. Nobody wants gasoline, nobody wants to sit on a big inventory of gasoline, but they can't produce diesel without producing gasoline.

Edit: forgot to mention that ethanol production also reduces the demand for gasoline, gallon for gallon, and thus also contributes to reduced refinery runs and lower diesel production. And that high crop prices mean farmers will still try to plant every acre, if it every stops raining in the Midwest -- but tractors burn lots of diesel, more I think to plant and harvest corn than to grow soybeans.
Gas prices keep going up, how is that happening if demand is weak ?
I love how you try to explain the prices. At winter it's heating oil,now we are blaming those gasser drivers that don't wanna drive .
What's next ?

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Dimitri16V said:
Gas prices keep going up, how is that happening if demand is weak ?
I love how you try to explain the prices. At winter it's heating oil,now we are blaming those gasser drivers that don't wanna drive .
What's next ?
Gasoline prices at the pump have risen only a few cents nationwide so far in May, and not at all here in SoCal. At the same time, crude oil has gone from $112 to $126, and you know what has happened with diesel.

When the raw material price keeps going up, the finished product can't get cheaper. But the refiners will continue to limit their purchases of crude, AND they will continue to limit their production of diesel.

I've been trying to think of similar economic examples. I know there are certain metal ores that are found together. If one of these metals is in great demand, it can push up production of both. The metal in great demand may still increase in price, while the other one falls under the weight of surpluses. One example is silver, which is a byproduct from the mining of copper, gold, lead, and zinc. I know silver, gold, and copper are relatively high-priced right now; but I don't know about lead or zinc.

BenRunner

TDI
Past: 97 Passat TDI Now: 02 Jetta & 06 Jetta
Flying J here was 3.77.9 in March. Now 4.23.9. Has this $126 a barrel oil already been refined and shipped or is that a futures price?

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
From the Wall Street Journal cash commodities page, Friday May 9th:
Fuel oil, No. 2 NY $3.6275
Diesel Fuel, 500 ppm S, NY harbor $3.6850
Diesel Fuel, 15 ppm S, NY harbor $3.8350
(That's a much wider spread than usual between LSD and ULSD, a couple weeks ago it was about 6 cents, now 15 cents.)

There is no delay between changes in crude prices and changes in product prices. There is no time lag built into the price structure: crude in the pipeline, diesel at the refinery, diesel at the terminal, and diesel at the local fuel station can all change in the same day.

Philcsag16

TDI
JETTA
I always fill up on Sunday mornings, 3rd week in a row it has held at $4.559

NYC eastern suburbs.

Thunderstruck

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GTI SE 6M
It's amazing how it only takes less than a half a day to pump the more expensive oil in a tanker, ship it to the US, refine it and get it to the corner station and raise the price. But it takes 2 weeks to do the same with a less expensive barrel of oil. Rise like a rocket, fall like a feather.