BMM top engine oil leak when motor runs

kaneelschep

TDI
ex-66kw passat, ex-132kw a6. Audi a4 b5.5 tdi 85kw
Hi all.

I have a 2007 golf 5 with 2liter BMM engine.
When the engine is on, it leaks quite a lot of oil.

I laid under it and cleaned it all. it stood there for 3 days and leaked nothing.
When I turned it on, it immediately started dripping down quite quick from the little heat shield behind the timing belt cover. I didnt see or feel oil under the cam wheel. the belt is also clean.

Since it only leaks when engine is on, and quite heavy, it seems to be under pressure. So I though of a gasket at an oil sensor maybe?
Is anything there what can cause this?

Never saw a rockercover gasket or egr do this kind of leaking. and cam seal would have sprayed the belt an wheel, I thought.

I read about oil sensors, but I cant find it on this engine on the top end.

Anyone have an idea?

Thanks!

kaneelschep

TDI
Nobody?
Its so crowded from the top there in the golf, I just cant see anything it can come from.

sptsailing

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta Manual, stock with Panzer Plate & Franko6 modified EGR cooler & CAM
Cylinder head gaskets are prone to leak on a BRM due to gradual loosening of its bolts, so perhaps that is the same thing with the engine you have. O understand that
simply tightening the bolts down to spec can solve the issue.

kaneelschep

TDI
So i checked the valve cover bolts. The back 4 were unbelievably tight. So something was suspicious there.
I took the cover of and oil was all on the edge of the head on the left back. On the wrong side of the gasket so to say.
Gasket was also broken around the left of the 2 boltholes in the middle of the cover.
But that didnt seem to be any issue.

Cover looks good. No cracks or rips.

So i ordered a new elring gasket and some dirko ht liquid gasket.
I read 4 little stripes are needed next to the arches for the vacuumpump and cam.
Anyone knows where to put it exacltly?

Thanks!

kaneelschep

TDI
I found a german webpage with a picture where to put the liquid gasket. It was indeed 4 little stripes in the arch where the bulbs for cam and vaccumpump begin.
Put it all back together and tigethened it lightly all around. And waited a day for the stuff to dry.
Next day I had it running for 5 minutes and saw no more oil leaks.
So that seemed to have helped.
Thanks!

imperia

TDI
Golf MkV Variant 2008 2.0 TDI BMM
I found a german webpage with a picture where to put the liquid gasket. It was indeed 4 little stripes in the arch where the bulbs for cam and vaccumpump begin.
Put it all back together and tigethened it lightly all around. And waited a day for the stuff to dry.
Next day I had it running for 5 minutes and saw no more oil leaks.
So that seemed to have helped.
Thanks!
Hello,
Can you post link to that German webpage or link to just the photo?

Thanks

dtrvler

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5 spd
Lots of the older cars need vc gaskets now. I spend the money and keep soft rubber in there cause I hate oil leaks. Also, there is a small oil passage plug on the back of the head on the drivers side. Sometimes the machine shop takes it out and loses it or puts it back and doesnt tighten it. Usually it just needs to be checked and tightened prior to head installation or after install with a modified, shortened std. allen key. It's tight but you can get in there and tighten it without removing too much stuff. I have had to tighten those a time or two. If that plug is gone it will really pour out of there. I realize that this was probably not your problem but just to try to help others who Google may have led here looking for a leak.

Last edited:

dtrvler

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5 spd
Also, when the cam caps are installed, there needs to be sealant UNDER the two outside cam caps to prevent seepage leaks. It goes between the cam seal and the edge of the cam cap at the surface of the head....and in the same locations by the tandem pump. It's a little patch of sealant....not alot....just a film on solvent cleaned and dried surfaces. Some mechanics/enthusiasts do not know this. The little dabs of silicone being spoken about above are also good to aid sealing in the "corner" between the number one and five cam cap edges and the top on the head....and a new soft rubber gasket is good too....but you still need the dabs UNDER the #1 and #5 cam caps to have a perfectly dry motor around the Valve Cover gasket area