How many DPFs have you had replaced since emissions fix?

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
Wondering if anyone is on 2+ DPFs since their emissions fix on the CJAA?

My car just generated another DPF code yesterday, exhaust outlets are black again. I am scheduled to bring the car in this Friday but with the national DPF backlog I will be in a loaner for 30 days.

My original DPF lasted till approximately 60k, fix was performed at 44k.

Now at 100k miles on the car, and about 40k on the replacement DPF, it too has cracked.

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
Nice thing about a loaner is you can abuse it a bit and not mile up your own car.

I have had nothing but issues with DPF/EGR and O2 sensors since the "fix" and after a fighting with the stealership about "outside influence" and other non-covered issues I gave up on the emissions system. In the process of buying a full delete kit right now. Good riddance.

iamatt

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta 6 Speed manual
Then enjoy your trips.back and forth to dealers. That's a joke to me how people are ok and put up with that. I value my time. Good luck.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
I had enough BS with the dealers tacking on extra charges for things they would refuse to cover it wasn't worth it.

I put up with the MIL and am deleting everything. Warranty is only as good as the service department.

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
I have worked with the same dealer since I started driving TDIs 10 years ago. They are fantastic to me and have gone above and beyond time and time again. I certainly can not fault them for a parts backlog.

In addition, I am emissions tested in NJ every two years, its a plug in and visual inspection.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
Nice thing about a loaner is you can abuse it a bit and not mile up your own car.
Agreed, its about the only time VW treats the customers right... Eeee haw!

I am still covered under warranty for some time and do not want to delete it.
I took the non delete tune/tune/loss coverage gamble and am glad (so far) I did. If I lived where I could delete that would be a no brainer too.

Ill add to the survey, mine got the whole DPF 9 yards @ fix @69k. I want to PRESERVE this damn DPF as long as Im forced to use it. The tune seems to have lowered soot production. Ive noticed a cracked DPF seems to be the biggest killer if Im not mistaken??? Cold climates exaggerate this. West coast seem eazier on DPF's?

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
It's not illegal in my region. So nope.

Not to mention the sheer number of large scale emitters (commercial and industrial) that get a free pass, literally exempt from our joke of a carbon tax up here, that I feel no guilt whatsoever.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
Not to mention the sheer number of large scale emitters (commercial and industrial) that get a free pass, literally exempt from our joke of a carbon tax up here, that I feel no guilt whatsoever.
What he said

These little grocery getters are so over enginered and efficient. Even minus the DPF they produce such a minuscule green issue a Prius probably has a dirtier total carbon foot print.

Some cant fart without feeeling morally challenged.

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
Speaking with the service manager, they have seen many fixed vehicles returning for two or more DPF replacements, hence the national shortage on them.

I would say I drive my vehicle in ideal conditions as well, 100 miles of mostly highway use per day. I never interrupt a regen and shut the engine down as well as letting the turbo and DPF temp stabilize before shutdown.

Quite unfortunate, when this particular vehicle is out of warranty it will more then likely be time to sell or delete. Replacing a DPF every 40k will get expensive.

No wonder as to why VW cheated.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
The resulting DPF replacement fiasco is a perfect example of either, the green agenda "shooting itself in the foot" or a drive to eliminate diesel altogether... for whatever reason(s). Most likely both were at play in dieselgate/DPF killer?. Its a shame. You just can't do this to people with such an inve$tment and expect no meddling.

VW did such a good job putting together such a "nitch" market sporty wagon, I hope they don't give up on non SUVs

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
The resulting DPF replacement fiasco is a perfect example of either, the green agenda "shooting itself in the foot" or a drive to eliminate diesel altogether... for whatever reason(s). Most likely both
Here's a qualifying example of EPA wasting resources going after such a trifle thing like a few DPF deletes. Easier to justify their salary I guess. How many ultra green type indulge themself on a cruise?

https://www.thedrive.com/news/28469...t-10-times-more-than-all-cars-in-europe-study

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
Just to update, dropped the car off yesterday. Last DPF made it 26,000 miles before failure.

2-4 week wait for new DPF.

wilcal

TDI
2012 JSW TDI

Isn't against federal law in Canada, just not something that Alberta is currently enforcing against passenger vehicles?

What he said
These little grocery getters are so over enginered and efficient. Even minus the DPF they produce such a minuscule green issue a Prius probably has a dirtier total carbon foot print.
Some cant fart without feeeling morally challenged.
That would be doubtful. Without a DPF, CO2 and NO emissions increase by 10X.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
Isn't against federal law in Canada, just not something that Alberta is currently enforcing against passenger vehicles?
This is where, at least the obvious, is often overlooked by the average Joe. The point is the big $ GROSS polluters more often than not pay their little fines or "carbon tax" like PRY4SNO pointed out. (relative to you and me).
see example link
https://www.thedrive.com/news/28469/...n-europe-study

That would be doubtful. Without a DPF, CO2 and NO emissions increase by 10X.
10x x (minimal) = (?)
And that is NOx. Do you know what NOx produces? If you are old enough you can go back to the smoggy skies of the 70's with all the high compression engines the difference is obvious. Truth is we have Radically cleaned up OUR vehicle emission's. This is not a rollin' coal thing.

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
Quick update.

Picked up vehicle today, in total only 1 week down. They had originally thought 30-60 days to receive the DPF in stock. DPF came in this morning.

DPF contamination/damage was caused by leaking EGR connecting pipe. So not an outright internal DPF failure as I thought.

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
I am at 94,000 miles, dpf was replaced at 40,000 miles (sensor messed up threads on dpf and had soot in the engine bay and a black air filter). I’ve had black tail pipes since 82,000, still no check engine light for the dpf. I just had the intake air temperature sensor replaced from a check engine light, but no codes stored for anything else. My commute is 65 miles a day about 60 miles at 70 mph.