'13 JSW AC Issue and Brakes(?)

1646LsrTech

TDI
2013 Jetta SportWagen
This is my first time asking for help directly as I can normally find what I am looking for through the search function. Thank you for all the help so far!

I have replaced my AC condenser as it blew a massive leak and then replaced my RCV in the compressor successfully. However, I now experience a lack of air flow in any fan speed setting. The AC is a lovely frigid temperature in 95+ degree temps and heavy humidity, but air does not see to make it n to the cabin. This, also, doesn't happen immediately. After driving on the highway for some time is when it stops. It seems as if it slowly loses air speed despite the fan running at full speed. Sometimes when I idle, while eating lunch in my car after traveling for awhile, the air speed returns to normal until I travel down the highway for a little longer. I am at quite a loss for this problem. The cabin temp is much more tolerable than before I replaced the RCV, but I would like to make a 3+ hour trip without feeling like my seat heaters are on constantly.

So, problem #2. There seems to be a pretty bad shimmy at 65+. Also, when braking, the vehicle shudders badly. It all seems like its coming from the front right wheel. Has anyone dealt with any problems like this before? Does this seem like a brake issue or some other linkage issue, maybe?

Last edited:

needsmoarturbo

TDI
2011 JSW
This is my first time asking for help directly as I can normally find what I am looking for through the search function. Thank you for all the help so far!

I have replaced my AC condenser as it blew a massive leak and then replaced my RCV in the compressor successfully. However, I now experience a lack of air flow in any fan speed setting. The AC is a lovely frigid temperature in 95+ degree temps and heavy humidity, but air does not see to make it n to the cabin. This, also, doesn't happen immediately. After driving on the highway for some time is when it stops. It seems as if it slowly loses air speed despite the fan running at full speed. Sometimes when I idle, while eating lunch in my car after traveling for awhile, the air speed returns to normal until I travel down the highway for a little longer. I am at quite a loss for this problem. The cabin temp is much more tolerable than before I replaced the RCV, but I would like to make a 3+ hour trip without feeling like my seat heaters are on constantly.

So, problem #2. There seems to be a pretty bad shimmy at 65+. Also, when braking, the vehicle shudders badly. It all seems like its coming from the front right wheel. Has anyone dealt with any problems like this before? Does this seem like a brake issue or some other linkage issue, maybe?
Can't help you on the AC issue. But in my experience shimmy or vibrations while braking is usually a rotor that is warped or has pad material deposited in only one area on the rotor. Vibrations while not braking at those speeds are usually tires out of balance or out or round, or a bent wheel. The easiest thing would be to get tires balanced and rotated and see if it goes away or changes. It's possible to have vibrations from bent or worn suspension components, but much more likely the wheels and or tires.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
When I first got my 11, the RCV was replaced eventually. The a/c will now freeze you out now. I experianced the same fan but weird flow issues.

The 1st dealer blew me off and said it was just low charge and "recharged the syste". It was 70* @ the time so I couldnt really confirm repair. It was still an issue on 1st time needed and ANOTHER dealer acually diagnosed and fixed it with an RCV. Air flow no issue now. In hindsight that must have been comfort ecu doing things acording to faulty reading input pre RCV replacement? Its a very common issue with these cars. I live in a high heeat low humidity area and get 34* air out of the center vent on a 100* day now.

You may want to have your tires balanced and rotated front to rear to confirm its either balance/bent rim or if its a warped rotor. If you use the e brake at higher speeds you can isolate if its front or rear.

Edit: sorry I blindly missed that you already replaced the RCV. Is the charge accurate?

Last edited:

1646LsrTech

TDI
2013 Jetta SportWagen
Thanks for the info! I think I may be developing ice that is restricting flow when the recirculate button is on. That may be why flow is restored while siting idle. I just ran for 4 1/2 hours at highway speeds with the recirculate button off and I had no problems. Also, I clicked the temp dial one off of Max AC and it appeared to work flawlessly. Maybe Max AC is freezing everything up.

The charge is accurate.

I will look in to the brake issue. I think it may be rotor issues or the calipers no opening completely which may warp the rotor as it does pull to the right despite having a good alignment and balance. I rotate the tires every 6 weeks or so. ad its always in the same place.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
I think I may be developing ice that is restricting flow when the recirculate button is on. . Maybe Max AC is freezing everything up.
The charge is accurate.
I would get an actual temp. reading with it on middle speed no max, under all the different conditions possible. Without VCDS that's an old fashion way to start to trouble shoot.

2TDIguy

Veteran Member
As a point of reference. I am a bit of an AC nerd. I ahve all the tools, etc. I tune all of my cars yearly and my 2 Home AC units. On cars I have always strived to get to 40 degrees temp output at center vents on recirculate. My Jetta Sportwagen will get down to 36.5 on the highway. I will tell you when charging and tuning them it is very hard to get another degree lower past/ below around 45. My Dodge diesel will oet down to about 44 and that is all I can get it to so the SW to be 3.5 degrees below the 40 acceptable cold output temp is amazing.