Goodyear Eagle Exhilarate

Gilty_one

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Execline 3.0 V6 TDI; 2012 Jetta Highline TDI
Anyone have a chance to install and review these? The TireRack.com reviews look pretty good and wear seems hardier than the Eagle LS-2.

I've got them on order and waiting for install in August....

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
I have to say that I have never worn out a set of Goodyears. They have all separated long before wearing out for me.
Your mileage may vary.
I would hope that they make better tires now, but I still remember the service and disappointment.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
I go to Michelin Lattitudes when my OEM GY LS are done. I started changing to Michelins with my Toyota Sequoia and have used them ever since. 40,000 mi is all you can get with these heavy beasts. Make sure they get balanced properly at the start. My 2016 TREG got a flat very early and had to be replaced and they found the alignment was off on the car and caused some wear strange wear on the outside of the front tires. Must have come with that condition from the factory. Glad they caught it before ruining the set of tires.

joyjoy22

TDI
2015 Volkswagen Beetle
The only problem that I have noticed on Goodyear tire is that they produce too much road noise. I've decided to sell it after a month, and replace it with a new set of Continental ExtremeContact tires that I got from 4wheelonline.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
How are the pricing on the GY exhilarate tires ? I found the GY LS 2 were about the same as the Michelin Lattitides. My OEM GY s didn't separate but did make a lot of noise at about 25K miles.

Gilty_one

Veteran Member
TDI
How are the pricing on the GY exhilarate tires ? I found the GY LS 2 were about the same as the Michelin Lattitides. My OEM GY s didn't separate but did make a lot of noise at about 25K miles.
They were priced less the the GY LS2. And the tread wear is rated better... Got a bit of a vibration above 100kmh but I'll have them rebalance them first

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
Oddly enough the Touareg I bought from a used car dealer had Vercelli Strada XL IV 275/45R20 110 V tires on it and I have been quite satisfied with them. At $107 each from Amazon they are cheap (if that is a question).
How long will they last? I have about 30 K miles on them and they still have very good tread left.
I towed my Scamp trailer all over the Southwest from Florida in the heat with no issues at all.
They may not be sporty etc. and they may blow out tomorrow, but so far I couldn't ask for more as they are quiet and have good traction in the wet and are stable.
However there has been a slight pull to the right going down the highway , but when on the other side of the crown of the road it pulls a little to the left as well and I don't Think I can attribute that to the tires, but maybe...
As an aside I have not rotated these tires and they show no inclination towards cupping or uneven wear.
Of course I don't speed or act crazy anymore so that might affect tire wear. I typically get good life out of my tires.

joyjoy22

TDI
2015 Volkswagen Beetle
Oddly enough the Touareg I bought from a used car dealer had Vercelli Strada XL IV 275/45R20 110 V tires on it and I have been quite satisfied with them. At $107 each from Amazon they are cheap (if that is a question).
How long will they last? I have about 30 K miles on them and they still have very good tread left.
I towed my Scamp trailer all over the Southwest from Florida in the heat with no issues at all.
They may not be sporty etc. and they may blow out tomorrow, but so far I couldn't ask for more as they are quiet and have good traction in the wet and are stable.
However there has been a slight pull to the right going down the highway , but when on the other side of the crown of the road it pulls a little to the left as well and I don't Think I can attribute that to the tires, but maybe...
As an aside I have not rotated these tires and they show no inclination towards cupping or uneven wear.
Of course I don't speed or act crazy anymore so that might affect tire wear. I typically get good life out of my tires.
It can last up to 45,000 miles, but it still depends on how you use it.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Over the years in the auto service business, I can without a doubt say of all the name brand tires I have had experience with, Goodyear has provided more defects and quality control problems than any of the rest. Even their "lesser" brands (Dunlop, Kelly-Springfield, Douglas) seem to be less riddled with issues (and yes, Wal-Mart is the big Douglas tire sellers... LOL). I always feel like if you'd settle for a Goodyear tire, you may as well save a few pennies and get one of the second tier brands like a Cooper or a Nexen. Heck, even some of the Chinapops are at least out of the box a better deal it seems.

bobbiemartin

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Tiguan TDI 4Motion, Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD
Over the years in the auto service business, I can without a doubt say of all the name brand tires I have had experience with, Goodyear

IMO, Goodyear use to make the best quality tires period. At some point many years ago, that changed. After having a problem on two different vehicles, I gave up on Goodyears. Both purchased at authorized Goodyear dealers and both had problems which they refused replace under warranty. They must have balanced the tires a dozen times, switched tires from rim to rim and everything else. They blamed everything except the tires. I'm sure they spent more in time than a new tire would cost. It was never smooth until we replaced the tires with another brand. After that I swore off Goodyears.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I have a coworker here who was a fan boy of them, and he eventually gave in after admitting it sucked to have to order in six at a time to find a decent set of four that would run true and balance out correctly. This was on his 2001 Durango which came with Wranglers as OEM.

One little known fact about tires: the tire companies that have agreements to supply manufacturers for new vehicles will sideline the "better" tires for that purpose. Meaning, when they do final QC checks, the ones that are "the best" get sent to whomever (Ford, Toyota, Volkswagen, etc.) to be placed on new vehicles as per their contract. That's why there are different paint marks on new cars' tires than ones for replacements, as well as in some cases the dealers get sent different grades of tires for replacements than do the aftermarket. Apparently, Goodyear is one of the worst for this, and they have lower standards for "not good enough for OEMs, but good enough for aftermarket". Which coincides with why I have seen so many replacements be sub-par even when the ones that may have come on the vehicle when new were at least acceptable even if not great.

So over the years, we've had to inform people of this, and the phrase "I told you so" gets called into use more times than I can remember. Because some people insist on replacing tires with the same ones the car came with, which in this case rarely results in the same level of satisfaction. And over the years, a LOT of new cars and trucks have left the factory floor rolling on Goodyear tires. Even a lot of Volkswagens.

The other end of the spectrum is Michelin, which to this day I have yet to see a bad new one (and I have put on a LOT of tires), and never, ever seen one that could be badged as defective. They also don't play the high/low grade game. If your car came with a Michelin tire from the factory, you can buy that exact same tire in the aftermarket and rest assured it will be of the exact same quality. But, they cost more. They should.

This is all coming from someone who has no brand name linked to my work, we have nobody's tire name on our shop, and no contracts with anyone. In fact, we make less money on Michelins because they never, ever seem to give retailers any special deals to move their product. Once in a while one of their lesser brands (BF Goodrich or Uniroyal) but even that is pretty rare.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
Great info Oilhammer, Your experience is exactly mine with Michelins. On a heavy beast like a Touareg you need a high quality tire to survive 5000lbs of steel going around curves and some off roading. I've had Michelins on both my past Seguoias and TREGS.
I'm just waitung till I run out of the OEMs Goodyear LS to shift tires. I have 14,000 on a 2016 and the GYs are showing wear already.

BTW if you are experiencing abnormal wear have your Alignment check ,I found my new TREG came with miss alignment.

USMCFieldMP

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI
I always feel like if you'd settle for a Goodyear tire, you may as well save a few pennies and get one of the second tier brands like a Cooper...
As an FYI to all, Cooper Tires is the second largest American owned and operated tire manufacturer, behind Goodyear.

The majority of their tires are handmade in Findlay, OH; Texarkana, AR; or Tupelo, MS. I used to work at the Texarkana plant and have a lot of friends and family that works there and the Findlay plant.

Just something to keep in mind for those that like supporting American jobs (as we drive our German cars).

Gilty_one

Veteran Member
TDI
It's funny how many other tires were talked about but no one came forth to say any specific about the GY Exhilarate on the Touareg...

So far - I'm liking them better than the OEM LS2... a bit of road noise but from online reviews - I'm waiting for a good downpour to see really how the wet performance is.

I would have liked to consider the Michelin Pilots but those tend to be priced twice as much as these (with a higher wear rating) Exactly what you expect from a high performing tire.

I use Nokian tires in the winter on a 18" set of rims....so obviously I don't care about the GY having any expected winter use.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
Is it possible that this is a relatively new tire for GY and not many people have had experience with them? I would like to hear a first hand report, I will be in the mkt within a year.