2014 vw passat b7 2l tdi 177k miles

Deanm1521

TDI
2014 2l vw passat, 2007 1.9tdi vw golf
Hi everyone, I am currently having some problems with my 2014 tdi. Its coming up to nearly 3 years since i have owned this car. Its my work horse and i love it.

Recently i noticed my car was overheating.

for over 2 and a half years of me driving this car in all types of weather, my oil temp would never budge above 90° c. Maybe on a hot day we could reach 93° c. But never seen it rise above that.

Up until lately temperature has been soaring through these levels, and now reaching at one stage 119° c, before i slowed down to let it cool. Today i hit 106° c.

I brought the car to a garage and they insured me that it was the waterpump as it was old and starting to leak, so i got that replaced and the issue was still the same. I then went back after spending €800 to fix the problem and i was told it was a stuck thermostat and i might aswell change the sensor while doing it, so i did that last week.

Today the car is overheating quicker since i got the thermostat done. I brought the car back to the same garage and he insured me that the problem is common for oil temperatures to soar like that. Which is fine as i have read about thaton multiple forums. But what caught me off guard is for over 2 years of driving this car oil temp wouldn't budge above 90° c, even with heating off.

Has anybody experienced this issue at all? Its really annoying as i do 3 hour trips once a week for work. Im not entirely satisfied with driving while the temperature is rising as dont want to do further damage.

Also i am not losing any fluid (antifreeze), heating seems to be ok and AC. Water pump done less than a month ago with timing belt. Thermostat and fluid flush and temperature sensor all done last week.

Not sure what else it could be to be honest as any garage i go to will say this is common for the oil to reach that temperature, but why did it not go above 90 for 2 and a half years then?

Thanks in advance.

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
Has anything changed in the last 6 months? Did ireland have a software update for emissions like the us and canada? I noticed my passat after the modification runs the fans every time i turn the car off when it’s over 75* F. No oil temperature gauge on the us version of the passat. Are both cooling fans running?

Deanm1521

TDI
2014 2l vw passat, 2007 1.9tdi vw golf
I have noticed that my fans use to run after me leaving the car. (After a long drive) now they only seem to operate when i have the heating/AC on.as for a software update i am unsure about this and was not told when i went to vw main dealership. There is a coolant guage under the rev clock, but on my car (14 passat 2ltdi) we have a digital guage on the cluster screen. I have never seen the car rise above 90°c except for the hottest of days, and even then 93° c would be the limit. I checked the fuses myself and one was blown, but was for a trailer so changed that and nothing happened. Ran a live reading test when driving on my obd scanner and coolant temp disnt budge above 91,, but oil temp is the issue here. When i explained to the mechanic about the overheating issue, he assured me it was the coolant system, now im not sure as i do not know why the oil wouldnt be cooling while driving. Is the radiator fan suppose to kick on around 90°c? To cool the engine?

Thanks for the quick reply @06bluebeetletdi