Audi A4 B5 quattro 1.9TDI project, target 400hp

Jukums

TDI
1.9 TDI 1Z TDR.lv
Hello,
So I wanted to make topic about my next project car which target is 400hp on diesel only.
Car had 2.5TDI V6 engine, but that engine will be changed to 1.9TDI engine.

Modifications what is planed to do, to reach this target:
Ported Head
Lighter valves
10mm lift camshaft
Hard valve lifters
Head studs
PD intake manifold
Stock PD130 bottom end
Deeper valve pockets in pistons
New piston rings
Turbo BW S356V
Tubular manifold
11mm Fuel pump
0.330-0.370mm nozzles, depending on which size will be to short
FMIC
63mm IC Piping
76mm Exhaust

And some pictures(If someone has problem to see them, tell me)

Got 1.9SDI engine, for good head without cracks and other parts what will be needed.

Then luckily found turbo to reach 400hp

Then got 1.9TDI PD130 engine

Ported head

Lighter valves

Assambled engine bottom

Hard valve lifters

For now so far with engine, now need to be get done many water pipes by hand, set wcu and wiring, find place for turbo and start to make tubular manifold.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
You can get 400 hp out of that? Stock bottom end?
I was thinking girdle plate, better intake than pd150, 100mm stroker crank,rods, ceramic coating and dual turbo and so on.
Love to see stuff like this. I

Markus L

Veteran Member
TDI
Caddy (14D) 1.9TDI 2-stage 400+bhp, Passat 3BG 4motion AVF
Put at least 3.5" exhaust. That compressor will take lot of shaft power to produce 400 bhp so you do need that extra breathing to reduce EMP.

Jukums

TDI
1.9 TDI 1Z TDR.lv
You can get 400 hp out of that? Stock bottom end?
I was thinking girdle plate, better intake than pd150, 100mm stroker crank,rods, ceramic coating and dual turbo and so on.
Love to see stuff like this. I

If Stock Bottom end handle 350hp, dont see any reasons why it could do 400hp.

On other project I have only maxspeeding rods, all other things in bottom end is Stock and no problems with 380hp.
So will see what it can handle, because I want to Build it in cheap way to fix it, if something happens.

Jukums

TDI
1.9 TDI 1Z TDR.lv
Put at least 3.5" exhaust. That compressor will take lot of shaft power to produce 400 bhp so you do need that extra breathing to reduce EMP.

Intresting information, because I thought 3” is more then enough. Because I have 3” and two big Simons muffler on other car, but WG turbo and that car runs 380hp

Markus L

Veteran Member
TDI
Caddy (14D) 1.9TDI 2-stage 400+bhp, Passat 3BG 4motion AVF
At ~420 bhp I had 110 mbar back pressure with 3.5", 4x 90degree bents, no mufflers. With 3" it propably would have been around 200 mbar. With same turbine power that means 4,4 bar EMP instead of 4 bar.

skaude

TDI
7x 1.9tdi passat variant
you were totally so close with the earlier AFN engine build, hope to see this on road soon! you are great sir.

E: btw ive done the same 130pd block + alh head on b5.

i did my own wiring harness using passat pd harness + VE pump harness. i was NOT aware that A6 comes with EDC15VM+ from the factory with the right plugs to fit B5!! Just make sure the car youre working it on is +97 with not the round plugs, but the normal looking plugs in the cabin side.

Last edited:

Jukums

TDI
1.9 TDI 1Z TDR.lv
At ~420 bhp I had 110 mbar back pressure with 3.5", 4x 90degree bents, no mufflers. With 3" it propably would have been around 200 mbar. With same turbine power that means 4,4 bar EMP instead of 4 bar.
Thats one intresting info, what should needed to check, if for real there is backpressure in exhaust system.

you were totally so close with the earlier AFN engine build, hope to see this on road soon! you are great sir.
E: btw ive done the same 130pd block + alh head on b5.
i did my own wiring harness using passat pd harness + VE pump harness. i was NOT aware that A6 comes with EDC15VM+ from the factory with the right plugs to fit B5!! Just make sure the car youre working it on is +97 with not the round plugs, but the normal looking plugs in the cabin side.
I still hoping to achieve also with that car 400hp, because there is needed to get stable boost, need to work with ecu.
Wiring isn't problem, wiring harness is from Audi A4 2000 year AFN and 012, so there almost all was just plug and play.

BustedBolts

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 and 2002 Golf's
Engine parts list is basically identical to mine that I'm doing for nearly identical power goal. Very interested to see how it works for you!

Macradiators.com

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0 CR 360hp
Nice! Goold luck with the project. But as Bobby asked, what about pistons ?
bmw are making 600hp with 76mm exhaust no problem, should work also fine for 400hp imo.
Measuring emp and back pressure is sure a good thing.

Jukums

TDI
1.9 TDI 1Z TDR.lv
What comp ratio you running for 400hp?
Nice! Goold luck with the project. But as Bobby asked, what about pistons ?
bmw are making 600hp with 76mm exhaust no problem, should work also fine for 400hp imo.
Measuring emp and back pressure is sure a good thing.
About CR, there isnt exact numbers, also didn't meassure it. But CR drop there is depending on valve design and deeper valve pockets in pistons. For other build till 380hp it worked good, also in this project i will not use bigger piston bowls - used before, but didn't like that there was more unburn fuel smoke, only benefit was, that engine was going stronger till 7-7.1k rpm

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
About CR, there isnt exact numbers, also didn't meassure it. But CR drop there is depending on valve design and deeper valve pockets in pistons. For other build till 380hp it worked good, also in this project i will not use bigger piston bowls - used before, but didn't like that there was more unburn fuel smoke, only benefit was, that engine was going stronger till 7-7.1k rpm
I think the only benefit to the decreased compression is that you can have less accurate injection timing maps
with higher compression ratio your cylinder pressures are only marginally higher until you run into where you're giving it too much advance, where they spike sharply

also, those ports in the head are huge, I only did maybe half that

Jukums

TDI
1.9 TDI 1Z TDR.lv
I think the only benefit to the decreased compression is that you can have less accurate injection timing maps
with higher compression ratio your cylinder pressures are only marginally higher until you run into where you're giving it too much advance, where they spike sharply
also, those ports in the head are huge, I only did maybe half that
About head, will see how it works, because each time I am trying to change something, to see what things there is better and what is worse.

Yes

DannyS

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Audi SQ5 TDI
Funny, I just stumbled upon that video on a day before I decided to have a look here. I love 'replacement for displacement' projects.

Just one question, you have a dyno chart up to 6000 rpm. I noticed that the torque curve makes an not so natural looking bent downwards at 4500 rpm, limiting the power increase beyond that. From 4500 rpm the powervurve is basically flat. Do you have an idea what causes this behaviour? Is the SOI still advancing at this point?

Last edited:

Jukums

TDI
1.9 TDI 1Z TDR.lv
Don't remember from head, but at 4.5k rpm SOI is flat till end. But there was problem, that I get boost drop all that way, so I think, that is problem why didn't get more HP, will try to fix that problem and try go to dyno again.

Hayden011

TDI
a3 bkd
Nice build, i had 1.9 tdi expload on me with x5 3.0d turbo on it. So i refited it with 2.0 parts and made it 2.0l now. Same turbo and now have around 180kw at the wheels, the map needs to be a bit better and my clutch started to slip. so attending to clutch next

DannyS

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Audi SQ5 TDI
Thank you! I hope you can sort this issue out soon. I guess 400+ HP is well within reach if you fix this torque drop at 4500 rpm.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
got to wonder if the fuel pump element is still filling well at that point, it's gotta move a lot of fuel through a little tiny hole with only case pressure, 2x per engine revolution

Jukums

TDI
1.9 TDI 1Z TDR.lv
After some time have some updates.
Made tubular manifold, manifold from 3mm thick AISI, argon purged.

Made 3D model for gauge holder and printed it. No, there will be 4 bar gauge, 2 bar only for test :D

VNT control also done.

Turbo in place, IC piping also.

Downpipe also done, now need to make exhaust and air filter for turbo.

Soon will be updates with done setup and then will start to make software for this setup.

Tero P

TDI
Golf MK4 Estate ASZ 379hp, Passat B5.5 Estate 4motion AVF 365hp
Interesting to see how it spools up with fairly big volume exhaust manifold.
I prefer small volume exhaust manifold with big vnt turbos.

First test with S356V.
https://youtu.be/5tTMllWznKU

Jukums

TDI
1.9 TDI 1Z TDR.lv
After some time of tuning, some small problems I went to Dyno to see, what power I am getting. But unfortunately it didn’t reached 400hp, but it looks like there isn’t enough fuel and also intercooler is to small.
But here is first results.

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
Interesting to see how it spools up with fairly big volume exhaust manifold.
I prefer small volume exhaust manifold with big vnt turbos.

First test with S356V.
https://youtu.be/5tTMllWznKU
I like your turbo support bracket ! I have made a similar cantilever turbo bracket 5 years ago to stop a Darkside tubular manifold crack after fitting a gtb2260vklr, it worked great !

Padto

TDI
Audi a4 b5 quattro tdi
How have you got on with this?
Which nozzles have you used for the last dyno?

Just purchase the same turbo and going the same route. But just going to hopefully buy a manifold as I can't make one unfortunately.

tdi_my live

Veteran Member
TDI
Skoda Fabia
@ Jukums:
Which boost pressure sensor do you use? For 400 PS you need 5 bar, 5000mbar absolute pressure to drive lambda 1.2 and over 140mg / h injection rate. Your 4 bar boost pressure display is not enough. And you need an air mass of 2500mg air for 400 PS.