Tire Rotation in 2003 VW Jetta Wagon

billybgame

TDI
2005 Passat Wagon
I've looked for this info here, and may have asked about this once, but I'm still a little unsure. Do the TDI's need the same sort of rotation schedule as normal cars?

I read on some internet answer site that VW's don't need tire rotation, so therein lies the confusion.

I'm planning to do it, if I don't hear otherwise. Sure hope I can get those tires off. No clue when it was done last.

Last edited:

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
billybgame said:
I've looked for this info here, and may have asked about this once, but I'm still a little unsure. Do the TDI's need the same sort of rotation schedule as normal cars?

I read on some internet answer site that VW's don't need tire rotation, so therein lies the confusion.
VWs need tire rotations, just like most others. The right front tire will wear fastest, the left rear tire the slowest. If your tires are not directional, you can rotate side to side -- the tires will say on the sidewall if they are directional.

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
merkerguitars said:
Every 10k Is what is what I do.
__. That's about right. Due to lack of shop space, tools, etc., I rotate side to side on my wagon (and my previous Jetta sedan) and MzLauraLee's waggin. That's not prefect but it makes a lot of difference. (I got over 87K out of my original Michelins on my sedan - and they could have had a few more miles squeezed out of them even then.)

__. When I say "side to side" above, I mean right rear to right front, etc. I'd love to have a lift so I could "X" over but you live with what you have.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Doesn't the manual/bently say do to front-to-rear anyways?

merkerguitars

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta
At the dealership and independent shop I work at we always do front to rear due to if the tires are directional the x method rotate doesn't really work out.

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
10,000 miles and fronts to rears and rears to fronts are the oem recommendations.

Since the right front wears faster as Tornado Red indicates, I use a 5 tire (spare) X rotation, so that EVERY TIRE (at some 10,000 mile interval) gets on the right front. (As you can surmise the oem recommendation puts 2/5 tires on the right front-the side that wears more) Also the 5th tire (in effect) compensates for the extra wear on the right front. In addition, you don't have one tire (spare) with full tread, that you might/ not match on the next set. I am due a 10,000 mile rotation on oem tires at 110,000 miles. It looks good to go to at least the rotation after, @ 120,000 miles.

If you decide to do the X rotation 1. Cross the rears to the fronts 2. fronts straight back

5th tire rotation 1. cross the left rear to the right fronts 2. cross the right rear to left front 3. left front to left rear 3. right front to spare 4. spare to right rear

In the case of "directional" tires, the min (best) are three right side directional tires.

Last edited:

2004STARWARSTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2004 Platinum Gray GLS Jetta / 2006 Silver Jetta with DSG
tire rotation

Ruking on the 5 tire rotation, did you purchase a rim that matches your other 4 tires or does it look like your driving a redneck car?:p :confused:

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
5 rims and tires came standard with the car. But I do have 4 more rims, for a total of 9 rims.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
The Owner's Manual for my 05 Golf has a diagram showing front to rear and vise versa for each side. It states to do this if the front tires show considerably more wear than the rear tires.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
To repeat what I posted above, if the tires are not directional, then you may rotate side-to-side as well as front-to-back. I have heard that if tires have been driven one way for 30k miles or so, they may not track as well if you rotate them to the other side. But I think I've done that and didn't notice any problems.