Uneven/fast tire wear

erykkuld

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf mk4 1.9L 4motion 115hp AJM
I have a Volkswagen golf 4 2000 1.9 tdi, which i bought with a broken spring and some bad bearings on the control arm, so i had these replaced and ever since that replacement my old set of front tires have worn out, most on the side where the rim is, and now it is happening again with new set of tires, new struts and alignment. What could the issue be? The alignment was done professionally and the rest have been changed out by myself. Has this happend to anyone else?

BuckeyeMan71

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta wagon
Is it just the front ones? Have you tried putting the front on the back? I would take it back where the alignment was done and have them show you where it was at the start and then how the change was

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

erykkuld

Veteran Member
TDI
Is it just the front ones? Have you tried putting the front on the back? I would take it back where the alignment was done and have them show you where it was at the start and then how the change was

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah well they gave me a diagram of what has been changed, as in how much toe heel, caster and camber and so on has been adjusted, i did call them, and asked what i should do, and they said that they can service it, but they want to get paid for it.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
I wouldn't pay them twice, where did you get it done, and how long ago?
I've had issues with the bushings being worn and the alignment shop not recognizing it. Another issue was then not proping the steering wheel and it turning side to side.
Ended up they had a guy sit in the seat while they did the alignment and hold the steering wheel.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

erykkuld

Veteran Member
TDI
I wouldn't pay them twice, where did you get it done, and how long ago?
I've had issues with the bushings being worn and the alignment shop not recognizing it. Another issue was then not proping the steering wheel and it turning side to side.
Ended up they had a guy sit in the seat while they did the alignment and hold the steering wheel.

2 weeks ago, and unlikely that bushings are worn since i have changed them out myself. Everything that i have changed on the car is control arm bushings, strut and strut assembly, so everything that takes to complete the strut, springs front, auxiliary belt tensioner and pads/discs in the back.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
I was meaning the steering rack bushings more than the control arm bushings.
I've had to have someone sure in the drivers seat and hold the steering wheel while they did the alignment.
Also have them align it straight and not compensate for the road. It always messes mine up when they try to.
The tie rods are possibly at fault also.

erykkuld

Veteran Member
TDI
I was meaning the steering rack bushings more than the control arm bushings.
I've had to have someone sure in the drivers seat and hold the steering wheel while they did the alignment.
Also have them align it straight and not compensate for the road. It always messes mine up when they try to.
The tie rods are possibly at fault also.

Alright, i have been talking to a mechanic i trust alot more, since he is a dads friend, he is supposed to give me a headsup in a few days, and i have told him everything. Another thing i might tell you, is that when i bought the car the car came with an MOT fail, which they meant was the rack and pinion/steering rack, but when we changed out the control arm bushings the wheels werent as wobbly when we tried after we put inn the bushings, do you think the the steering rack can be at fault here? with uneven tire wear? But as said before, the car didn't have eneven tire wear before we (me and my uncle) changed the control arm bushings, spring and control arm ball joints on both sides, atleast the winter tires don't have uneven wear. The owner before me bought new summer tires before sale.

GEFP

Veteran Member
TDI
2- 2001 Jettas, 2 - 2002 Jettas (1 for parts) 2003 1.8t Jetta (parts) 2014 Jetta
I had a local garage align both of our cars. 2014 and 2001 Jetta's. This was a costly mistake. The next alignment on the 2014 was done at the dealer. The dealer did a better job and for less money. On my 2001 the tires were still wearing off on the inside edge after the alignment. All I did was lengthen each tie rod half a turn and the tires started to wear evenly. So I'm done with local shops doing alignments on my VW's

erykkuld

Veteran Member
TDI
I am having the same issues with my 2000 Jetta. Did you ever find a solution for your problem? Thanks
Hey Ralphpowell, no sadly i haven't been able to fix the problem, car is still eating tires. The friends dad shop is pretty packed because they just had vacation and all that, so every old client is prioritized and this is a favor for me from his dad. He said he could look at it himself for free and see if he can see anything wrong. Tell me if you find out a sulotion to your problem, i saw your thread too

erykkuld

Veteran Member
TDI
I had a local garage align both of our cars. 2014 and 2001 Jetta's. This was a costly mistake. The next alignment on the 2014 was done at the dealer. The dealer did a better job and for less money. On my 2001 the tires were still wearing off on the inside edge after the alignment. All I did was lengthen each tie rod half a turn and the tires started to wear evenly. So I'm done with local shops doing alignments on my VW's
Hm so you fixed your uneven tire wear yourself by turning the screw on the tie rod?