www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Road Trips

Road Trips Discussions about road trips you have made with your TDI.

Old June 6th, 2020, 17:30   #451
Powder Hound
Veteran Member

Just did a quick down and back to Niceville, FL. My wife needs a professional license for Florida, needed fingerprints to complete the application, and we could find no one in between here and there that would do them. Ugh.

Her auto NB with 17" snow tires on Audi fat five wheels went down and back, a little noisy, but no problems at all and averaged right at 40 mpg for the trip. We were actually in Niceville for only a few hours. But we did manage to visit her son and his family and stick our pale bodies in the ocean for a short period of time. Very nice. We're ready to move.

It was 2700 miles total, I think, and less than $200 for fuel. We did OK.

Cheers,

PH
Powder Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2020, 18:57   #452
gkgk

Default Road trip with error code P0380

Hi everyone,

I have a VW Beetle 2001 TDI and my engine light turned on about couple weeks ago. Mechanic took a look at it and found error code p0380 which related to the glow plug failure. I checked the voltages on the 4 glow plugs and 3 of them read 0.0 and the last one was 1 (looked like an error reading cause the number was on the far left of the meter screen).

I am supposed to take a trip of 8 hours from California to Oregon next week. I don't wanna pay for the mechanic cause I think I can fix it if I have time.

It might be that I am not reading the glow plugs right, or that I need to replace the harness.

I was riding the car like normal around town and it didn't have a problem in the past 2 weeks although the engine light is still turned on.

Does anybody recommend/not recommend going on a road trip while the car is in this condition? I feel like since it's related to the heater and I'm not going to a cold place it should be fine. But I am scared that the faulty glow plugs or harness might cause a bigger problem after 8 hours of drive in one day.

Thoughts anyone? This is my first car and I have never needed to pull over on a road trip by myself. A little scared but still want to try.
gkgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2020, 19:44   #453
NewTdi
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 58/46/39

You should be OK and changing the flow plugs is super easy; where are you located?
NewTdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2020, 09:01   #454
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

This time of year, you won't need the glow plugs. If that is really the cause of the mil, I would not worry about it. Changing the plugs is very easy. Probably less than 15 minutes, start to finish. Changing the harness is a little more involved.
Old July 9th, 2020, 11:19   #455
gkgk

I thought the warm weather would not cause a problem as well. I found out yesterday that my harness is damaged - the tips are separating a little. Supposedly the harness is not supposed to have air coming through it. I will change the plugs just in case but the harness wonít arrive on time nor I have the tools to reach out to itís bottom where the 4 pin part is connected. I canít even locate it right now.

Iím based in San Francisco. The labor here is so expensive thatís why I chose to not go to the mechanic.
gkgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2020, 11:27   #456
romad
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkgk View Post
I thought the warm weather would not cause a problem as well. I found out yesterday that my harness is damaged - the tips are separating a little. Supposedly the harness is not supposed to have air coming through it. I will change the plugs just in case but the harness won’t arrive on time nor I have the tools to reach out to it’s bottom where the 4 pin part is connected. I can’t even locate it right now.
I’m based in San Francisco. The labor here is so expensive that’s why I chose to not go to the mechanic.
Just north of you in San Anselmo is guru Matt Phelan who works out of Auto Haus II
Address: 640 Sir Francis Drake Blvd, San Anselmo, CA 94960
Phone: (734) 717-7527
Email: mattgtr@gmail.com

He is on this site as Matt-98AHU

I drove from Oroville and did a RON in San Rafael so I could have him do a major service on my Jetta last Fall.

The fleet:
2005 Jetta Wagon "Cranberry" (bought July 2011)
2004 Toyota Prius (bought August 2004)
1990 Mazda Miata (bought July 1989)
romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2020, 00:02   #457
NewTdi
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 58/46/39

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkgk View Post
I thought the warm weather would not cause a problem as well. I found out yesterday that my harness is damaged - the tips are separating a little. Supposedly the harness is not supposed to have air coming through it. I will change the plugs just in case but the harness wonít arrive on time nor I have the tools to reach out to itís bottom where the 4 pin part is connected. I canít even locate it right now.
Iím based in San Francisco. The labor here is so expensive thatís why I chose to not go to the mechanic.
If you have not changed the harness I think I remember how I did mine years ago. Send me a pm
NewTdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2020, 13:04   #458
cApTgOoFy

I am currently traveling from NJ and have made it to RI. Now I am about to pack up and head over to OH for a few days. Afterwards we are headed to KY and TN. Then we are headed back to NJ. All this on a new to me as of 7/29/2020, 2014 Jetta TDI Sportswagen. So far it has been a blast to drive and I’m averaging about 40-42 mpg.
cApTgOoFy is offline   Reply With Quote