Timing belt replacement bew, time or mileage?

xadzer

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 Jetta 1.9 TDI
Hey guys ive had a 1.9 tdi mk4 jetta for about 2 years now, its a 2007 model year mexican mk4 (last year of production) with an axr bew engine. The car is over 10 years old on its original timing belt however it only has 70000 miles on the clock meaning its been sitting around. Would you guys replace the belt even due to how old it is? I dont see any visual issues with it such as cracking I cant see the whole thing though.

Last edited:

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
Yes - replace it. The standard is 100K miles or 5 years , whichever comes first. Be sure to replace ALL the parts in the timing belt path and especially the TTY single use bolts. The better venders even sell TDI timing belt kits that have everything you need (except some specialty tools, VCDS and locking pins being the notable exceptions) DO NOT do "Mark and Pray" for replacing the timing belt.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
Yes - replace it. The standard is 100K miles or 5 years , whichever comes first. Be sure to replace ALL the parts in the timing belt path and especially the TTY single use bolts. The better venders even sell TDI timing belt kits that have everything you need (except some specialty tools, VCDS and locking pins being the notable exceptions) DO NOT do "Mark and Pray" for replacing the timing belt.
VW actually lowered the PD motors to 80k about 8 years ago or so? I didn't even realize it until I was due for my second at 190+k. I still have no issues running it to 100k. 13 years is pushing it, especially since it's almost due mileage anyway.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I don't know about mileage on the PD motors - I own an ALH. But in any event, the OP is over on time if nothing else.

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
BEW and BRM is 80k or 5 years.
ALH 100k or 6 years, but if car was drive 70% streets , stop and go action, it is recommended to do it at 80k, because of to much stress on belt.

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
Anecdote:
I changed the belt that my car (ALH though) was born with at 82,000 miles. It was 11 years old.
Before I knew better, of course...

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Lol I went 120,xxx miles on original 2001 that had the old style belt for the automatics.....I believe intervals were at 60,xxx miles before I found this site......

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Actually, it was 40,000 miles. I discovered with a shock on my 200o Beetle that was bought at 65,000 miles when I had the Timing Belt changed at 80,000 miles for the first time.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
Funny, was just looking up when to change the belt on customer's car. Last year CR is 130k and 1.4T is 150K. Also that is not hard replace deadline, but start inspecting. IF it passes inspect at set mileage, then start checking every 20k after.

I think VW is trying too hard to make maintenance costs look lower compared to competitors.

Jason

h.ubk

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDI with 1Z Engine
I would replace it. It sure is cheaper than having head damage.

h.ubk

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
What scooperhsd said. Replace it.

I say replace it and do it ASAP. I speak from firsthand experience... :eek:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=2616550&postcount=40