Replacing BEW intake with PD150

shoebear

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon, 2005 New Beetle, 2013 Sportwagen
While doing other work on my 05 NB, I noticed that my EGR valve is heavily fouled along with the intake manifold. I have on hand a clean PD150 manifold and EGR valve, and I'm wondering if I can just swap it in, or if it's more complicated than that. I see extra gizmos on the BEW manifold that the PD150 doesn't have, like a vacuum-operated push-rod thingie on the side.

[On edit: Apparently this operates intake runner butterfly valves which are used to speed up intake air velocity at low engine speeds -- for NOx control:
]
If this is gone and I plug the vacuum line that controls it, will the ECM complain?

I don't want to delete EGR, and I'm looking for the easiest solution. What's easier, removing and cleaning the BEW stock intake and valve, or swapping it for an already-clean PD150 & valve? The PD150 EGR valve and the one for the BEW are the same part number.

Thanks!

Last edited:

shoebear

Veteran Member
TDI
OK, I think I have an answer.

Background: I'm giving the car to my daughter. She and her husband are starting grad school and are likely to live in several places before they're done. I don't want there to be any issues with emissions, even if they live in a place with strict inspections. This is why I want to keep the EGR.

But I can't keep the EGR with a PD150 intake. The BEW intake uses an electronically controlled EGR valve and the cooled EGR gasses enter the intake through a port that is part of the intake itself. The PD150 manifold is set up for a vacuum controlled EGR valve, with cooled gasses entering the EGR valve itself. So to use the PD150 intake, I would have to delete the EGR. See photos for clarification:

BEW intake featuring its integrated EGR port

PD150 intake with no EGR port

Last edited:

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
If you want to keep the EGR, there isn't a whole lot you can do. I do know that the ECU will not know if you get rid of the little flappers as long as the vacuum solenoid is plugged in. It only cares that MAF flow drops when EGR is called for. But - that won't buy you much. Even switching to the BRM intake deletes the EGR.

When my BEW's EGR gave me problems (broken flex lines) - I deleted it. Otherwise I would have left it and something like a dynamic tune. I pass NYS plug in emissions with a PD150 intake (plus the mods in my sig).

shoebear

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks, gforce. I guess I'll clean the stock intake and stick with that. I'll do a little more checking about emissions requirements before making a final decision, though. As part of my current work, I'm changing the turbo to a VNT17, so the setup would benefit from a an EGR-less PD150 intake and a tune.

shoebear

Veteran Member
TDI
Just looking around, it appears that a BRM intake and EGR valve could work on a BEW with EGR, but you'd have to fabricate a pipe to go from the cooler to the valve, since the BRM EGR intake is located in a different place. But at least the BRM has an electronically controlled EGR like my BEW.

But I don't have one of those, and I wouldn't want to hassle with fabricating a custom pipe, so that won't work for me.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
Just looking around, it appears that a BRM intake and EGR valve could work on a BEW with EGR, but you'd have to fabricate a pipe to go from the cooler to the valve, since the BRM EGR intake is located in a different place. But at least the BRM has an electronically controlled EGR like my BEW.

But I don't have one of those, and I wouldn't want to hassle with fabricating a custom pipe, so that won't work for me.
You would have to make sure that the EGR valve and "throttle" ASV use the same controls as well or the computer wouldn't be happy. There are conversions to make the ASV work, but not the EGR: https://malonetuning.com/products/i...-intake-manifold-in-a-bew-and-similar-vehicle

shoebear

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks, gforce! That's good to know, but I'm looking for the "Easy button" here, so I think I'll just clean the stock intake and put it back on.