Barn find... what to do?

rangeroad

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 GLS Jetta Wagon (5-speed) Malone 1.5 w/ EGR delete
Found and purchased a wagon that had been sitting for over a year in barn....she started right up! Any recommendations on changing the oil? I was thinking a can of seafoam might help with any possible sludge issues. Will be returning to baseline on all fluids, but really wanted to clean the crankcase out.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
If you must, just get it hot and change it. Then change it again after getting it hot a second time. If it is an ALH, just do the first one with 15W-40 to save yourself some $$ otherwise spent on the 5W-40 you'll put in the second time. Hot, fresh motor oil is a good solvent( its additive package of detergents is un-diluted by combustion byproducts that are acid).
cheers,
Douglas

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Sitting a year doesn't really qualify as a barn find, in my opinion. However, I'd change all the fluids including a brake fluid flush, as odds are it hasn't been done in a while. Replace all filters, look for evidence of rodents in the air and cabin filters. And if you don't have evidence of a timing belt replacement in the last 5 years or so I'd do that, too.

Jetta Wagons are the best. I'm jealous of anyone who finds a clean one.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
An unused engine doesn't get "sludge" in it. Warm it up and change it. Done deal.
Oil "additives" unnecessary.
Exactly what he said ^^^^^

I believe it was the fall of 2017 that I purchased my brother's 2003 Jetta with a 2001 engine at 350k miles. Due to a leaky Injection Pump, it sit until January of 2019 (about 15 months).

I did a re-seal on the IP and fired it up .., no issues!

I've never seen any sludge in a TDI engine! And, I agree, if you use the correct oil for the engine, no additives! Waste of cash!

rangeroad

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 GLS Jetta Wagon (5-speed) Malone 1.5 w/ EGR delete
Sitting a year doesn't really qualify as a barn find, in my opinion. However, I'd change all the fluids including a brake fluid flush, as odds are it hasn't been done in a while. Replace all filters, look for evidence of rodents in the air and cabin filters. And if you don't have evidence of a timing belt replacement in the last 5 years or so I'd do that, too.

Jetta Wagons are the best. I'm jealous of anyone who finds a clean one.

Well, I did pick it up from a BARN... what more do you want...;) lol Timing belt was done 10k prior to being parked. That sealed the deal for me.

I’ve owned many vehicles in my 30 years of driving, some were pure dolls, some were total pigs... but hands down the BEW wagon has been the best overall vehicle I’ve ever owned.... and now I have 2!