winter/snow tires

sinfony78

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 sportwagen
i live in Houston, but we will be taking the sportwagen out to some mountain to go skiing this winter. not familiar at all with the kind of shoes I'll need for her.
any recommendations? all season vs. snow?

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
What tires do you have now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JesseTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI, Premium package
I love my Toyo Celsius tires they are "All Weather" tires (supposed to be better than allseasons in the snow but won't wear out fast like dedicated snow tires if you leave them on through the summer). Ive put about 25k miles on them through all types of Midwest weather and they are indeed better than the Contental all seasons that came on the car in the wet, the snow and ice. They do carry the "mountain and snowflake" symbol on the sidewall. The sidewalls aren't as stiff but not by much and they are wearing very well. They aren't terribly expensive and you can buy them before your trip and just leave them on when you get back.

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
My guess for your situation is a quality "All Weather" tyre. I prefer Nokian.

For the record I run winters here, but appreciate the built in margin afforded by the all-weather compound during the shoulder seasons. As the old adage goes, all season = no season.

Gilty_one

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Execline 3.0 V6 TDI; 2012 Jetta Highline TDI
You really have to look at your effective temperatures and the climate you drive in... Where I live it gets as cold as -40c (about -40F) and as hot as 38c (100F). We can get icey frozen sheets of snow during the winter and torrential rains in the warm seasons...

You should realize that your rubber is only so good at certain temperature ranges... Effectively, I DO use a winter compound tire when it freezes and summer/all-weather when it gets warm.... pain in the butt to change tires twice a year (both for buying and storing two sets of tires and rims)...on the other hand - I will typically get a few more seasons out of the two sets of tires.

sinfony78

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 sportwagen
You really have to look at your effective temperatures and the climate you drive in... Where I live it gets as cold as -40c (about -40F) and as hot as 38c (100F). We can get icey frozen sheets of snow during the winter and torrential rains in the warm seasons...

You should realize that your rubber is only so good at certain temperature ranges... Effectively, I DO use a winter compound tire when it freezes and summer/all-weather when it gets warm.... pain in the butt to change tires twice a year (both for buying and storing two sets of tires and rims)...on the other hand - I will typically get a few more seasons out of the two sets of tires.
I'm going to keep it as a second set, no need at all for use in Houston. plus we're thinking of driving to WA state, so I'll probably bring the tires along and change them at a discount tire when we're up north

vincej

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf Wagon
We've had Gislaved snow tires on the Volvo XC90 for twelve winter seasons. I am quite satisfied with the life we have gotten out of them. This last spring I left them on and they will be good and worn out before replacing them with a new set of the same this fall.

I bought Pirelli snows for the Sportwagon from VW and just don't like them because of the excessive noise.

Last edited: