www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > Non VW Group Diesels

Non VW Group Diesels This section is for discusion of Non VWGroup Diesels.

Old July 23rd, 2020, 17:54   #1081
Tin Man
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 51/40/30 TDI PD, 42/37/32 535d, 52/46/42 XE 2.0d

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon View Post
Maybe I've been driving modified front drive VWs for too long, but when I got my e90 I was totally underwhelmed by the ride and handling. It feels like a boat to me: Too soft, not enough control of those heavy wheels with run flat tires, more body roll than I'd expect. Getting better tires helped a lot, and swapping in some Konis, which I will eventually, will probably help more. This is the first BMW I've owned but it doesn't strike me as an ultimate driving machine.
The sport package makes a big difference but the car itself has its limitations especially when comparing the suspension(s) and engines found in the 5-er. I find the N57 in the 535d much nicer than the "instant on power" of the M57 in the 335d, but both engines deserve a lot of praise. The E90 suspension was dated to be sure and the 6 speed automatic cannot compete with the ZF 8-speed, which BTW is also found in the newer Jaguars.
"The cynics are right nine times out of ten."-- H. L. Mencken
Tin Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2020, 18:07   #1082
mjez
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 00 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 47mpg

I think BMW focused to much on comfort with F chassis cars and after much criticism they decided to move back towards what they used to call Ultimate Driving Machine with Gxx cars. It is an improvement over previous generation.
I've driven both 535d's, with and without adaptive suspension, they are completely different cars. In 535 with adaptive suspension option when in sport, or sport+ it handles more like an older m3. Flat in corners, decent balance, one can not feel that it's a 2+ ton vehicle. In comfort+ on the other hand it smoothes out almost every bump and imperfection in road. It truly is an amazing system worth every penny in my opinion.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
Old July 23rd, 2020, 18:08   #1083
Blue_Hen_TDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Man View Post
I will agree. The Jetta is nice for its low price but the BMW 335d and 328d are in a different league above for comfort, construction, materials, and even reliability IMO. My 535d, in case you are looking, is what the 335d wanted to be when it grew up - better in almost every way except size and fuel pump (I've owned both and driven the rest).

And of course the 335D is faster.

2011 BMW 335d - JR 2.8, 600 lb-ft
Blue_Hen_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2020, 18:11   #1084
Blue_Hen_TDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon View Post
Maybe I've been driving modified front drive VWs for too long, but when I got my e90 I was totally underwhelmed by the ride and handling. It feels like a boat to me: Too soft, not enough control of those heavy wheels with run flat tires, more body roll than I'd expect. Getting better tires helped a lot, and swapping in some Konis, which I will eventually, will probably help more. This is the first BMW I've owned but it doesn't strike me as an ultimate driving machine.

Mine became a lot better feeling once I ditched the run-flats and put a Bilstein B12 Pro Kit on it.

Old July 23rd, 2020, 18:13   #1085
Blue_Hen_TDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
The sport package makes a big difference but the car itself has its limitations especially when comparing the suspension(s) and engines found in the 5-er. I find the N57 in the 535d much nicer than the "instant on power" of the M57 in the 335d, but both engines deserve a lot of praise. The E90 suspension was dated to be sure and the 6 speed automatic cannot compete with the ZF 8-speed, which BTW is also found in the newer Jaguars.

Wow, that's the first time I've ever heard someone complain about "instant on power." LMFAO. I do believe that is the precise reason BMW put the extra turbo on the 335D.

Old July 23rd, 2020, 18:13   #1086
mjez
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 00 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 47mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Hen_TDI View Post
And of course the 335D is faster.
Faster than TDI is an understatement. I went head to head with one in my e46 m3 and we were even passed 100 mph. It was slightly modified, I think stage II with downpipe and intercooler pushing about 330 hp to the wheels. But even stock is pretty wild.

Old July 23rd, 2020, 18:17   #1087
Blue_Hen_TDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjez View Post
Faster than TDI is an understatement. I went head to head with one in my e46 m3 and we were even passed 100 mph. It was slightly modified, I think stage II with downpipe and intercooler pushing about 330 hp to the wheels. But even stock is pretty wild.

I had a red e46 M3 run up all over my arse on I-95 in Philly a few weeks back when I was bottled up in traffic. He got a rude awakening once the left lane camper ahead of me moved over. He wasn't close to keeping up. I finally let off at about 120 and he finally got by me after I coasted a few seconds.

Old July 24th, 2020, 03:10   #1088
Tin Man
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 51/40/30 TDI PD, 42/37/32 535d, 52/46/42 XE 2.0d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Hen_TDI View Post
I had a red e46 M3 run up all over my arse on I-95 in Philly a few weeks back when I was bottled up in traffic. He got a rude awakening once the left lane camper ahead of me moved over. He wasn't close to keeping up. I finally let off at about 120 and he finally got by me after I coasted a few seconds.
From Top Gun: Jester: “That was some of the best flying that I’ve seen to date — right up to the part where you got killed.”
"The cynics are right nine times out of ten."-- H. L. Mencken
Tin Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2020, 08:11   #1089
capt_slow
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjez View Post
For those that are looking for a F30, F31 or F10 chassis and like sporty handling find one with adaptive suspension, it makes a night and day difference. I'm not sure if that option was even available on 3series diesels here in NA but you can definitely find it in a 535d.

The 2VF Adaptive Suspension is a standalone option on the F30/F31 328d. VSS was only officially available on the gassers, but you could special order it on the diesels. Agree both are rare options to find in the wild, that's why I ordered my F31 that way.

On another note, I've driven the G20 M340i and I would have picked one up had I not bought out the lease on the F31.
Old July 24th, 2020, 11:33   #1090
dogdots

TDI(s): None

Quote:
From Top Gun: Jester: “That was some of the best flying that I’ve seen to date — right up to the part where you got killed.”
Also from Top Gun “I said ‘Hollywood where’d he go?’ Hollywood said ‘where’d WHO go?!’”