Extended Warranty on your TDI that you just turned in or will be

newbeetleman

Veteran Member
TDI
none
SO, I call about the extended warranty I bought for my car, it had 70k miles on it when I turned it in. The finance manager told me I extended warranty was up because it was a 60k warranty. He said it started at the beginning of the purchase, so basically I was double covered. It is called an extended warranty for a reason, why in the hell would it start while the current factory warranty is running? That is a total scam! I am not letting this one go. I was specially told, AT THE TIME, it would pick up after the factory warranty ended.

Have any of you had this BS happen to you?

Borsig

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2015 GSW SEL (buyback), 2011 JSW (sold)
might want to read that contract.......

GearHd6

TDI
2014 Jetta Premium 6 Speed
I always thought the mileage limit listed on the extended warranty was the total miles on the car, it doesn't start from when the factory warranty runs out. I bought a 10 year 70k extended warranty for my truck and I knew it ended at either 10 years or actual 70k miles on the odometer.

newbeetleman

Veteran Member
TDI
none
hmm, I know for a fact they told me (wife was there) it started at the end of the current factory warranty.

Why would anyone want to be double covered.. well, except for whatever is left after the factory warranty. In my case, it was a 60k warranty, if it ran concurrent then most of that 60k was already covered by factory, so 55% was a waste of money.

Last edited:

GearHd6

TDI
2014 Jetta Premium 6 Speed
I think the price of the plan takes into account that it may actually be used for 24k miles (assuming you have a factory 36k).

newbeetleman

Veteran Member
TDI
none
If you buy and extended warranty on a used car it is 3 year 36k miles warranty (using as an example), why would buying one while new be any different. I am sure I won't win this, but it did piss me off.

newbeetleman

Veteran Member
TDI
none
https://www.edmunds.com/auto-warran...fore-you-say-yes-to-an-extended-warranty.html

An extended warranty is repair coverage that kicks in after the typical manufacturer bumper-to-bumper warranty has expired. This extended warranty will cover most major breakdowns and will — in theory — stabilize the cost of repairs, since the price of parts and labor tends to fluctuate over time. It is important to note that you have the option to purchase this warranty any time before the manufacturer warranty expires. You can even purchase an extended warranty after the manufacturer warranty expires, although the price will go up considerably.

scrubber

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
That's just how they are usually sold. I had an 85k extended warranty on my Touareg. I knew it expired at 85k miles, and I was refunded 100% of the purchase price at that point since I never had a claim. It wasn't 85K + the 36k factory warranty for a grand total of 121k miles of warranty coverage.

Last edited:

newbeetleman

Veteran Member
TDI
none
according to edmunds that is exactly what it should have been 85k plus 36k factory. At what mileage did you sell the car?

Can't find my contract at the moment...

sleek98

TDI
2013 Passat TDI
If you buy it on a new car its 60k total, ie you only got a 24k mile warranty. If you buy it on a used car its 60k from the mileage when purchased. On my truck the warranty ends at 124k miles, bought it with 76k miles on it and purchased a 48k mile warranty, which is stated in the contract that I purchased. On my wifes old edge, I puchased a 60k mile warranty but only got 13/60 of the price back since we sold it with 47k miles to get her TDI. I didnt realize it was only 60k total either until I pulled the actual contract out.

You will need the contract, which will have the ending mileage of the warranty on it to try to fight them.

scrubber

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
according to edmunds that is exactly what it should have been 85k plus 36k factory. At what mileage did you sell the car?

Can't find my contract at the moment...
I haven't sold it. It was on my Touareg, which it purchased new. It was a fully refundable warranty, and it was written that the extended warranty expired at 85k miles.
Depends on how you interpret it. I knew I wasn't buying an 85,000 mile warranty. I was buying a warranty that expired at 85,000 miles.

Last edited:

Borsig

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2015 GSW SEL (buyback), 2011 JSW (sold)
Edmunds means nothing.

Only the contract matters - what does it say?

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
extended warranty is a great way for the salesman and warranty company to make money.

where do you think that money comes from?

Last edited:

flyslow

TDI
2013 passat tdi
When everything was unfolding about the buyback, I made my decision very early in the discussions to sell back the car. In July I cancelled the extended warranty that I had purchased as VW had extended coverage for pretty much everything high dollar I was worried about. I received 1100 in a refund for the extended warranty. I was also told that it was in effect from the day I purchased the car and not really started until factory warranty was over. I felt like they were less than honest about the extended warranty at the time I purchased the car.

Bottom line is I ended up with my Passat costing me about 3000 dollars for 43 months not counting fuel, insurance and taxes/registration. Can't beat that at all.

TDI
2002 Golf
I sold my 2014 Golf TDI Wagon back to VW in August 2017. It cost me $17,000 for 3 years of driving. I received not a penny refund of my extended warranty even though the vehicle was still under the manufacturers warranty. I was ripped off!!