Audi Allroad TDI Conversion - 2004 Passat BHW

morgancanfield

TDI
2010 Jetta Wagon, 2005 Audi Allroad
just a little feedback from me as well...

did 2 longitudinal swaps so far - B5.5 W8 Passat and a B7 A4

for the B7 I used a BEW engine so no BSM delete necessary - used stock mounts for the engine and transmission and used the 228mm Valeo SMFW kit so I can retain the BHW starter - car is very well behaved and there are no odd noises or rattles of any sorts...holding the shifter I can't feel a single vibration come through it - it's solid...now the whole car does vibrate with a normal diesel vibration but nothing I can accredit to the FW...speaking of which - that package dynoed at 310ftlbs and had no slippage...I'm at 10k+ since I installed it in the car with very heavy driving and it still feels like new

For the B5.5 I used a BHW engine and deleted the BSM - I can't tell any difference between the two cars...I also used the same clutch kit for the passat as well with the same end goal in mind - retain stock NA parts for cost and serviceability...both cars run great and I have no issues with vibrations on either...

just food for thought - imported clutches from Europe sound Gucci but I don't think they're necessary...what hp/tq levels are you going after with this build?
Hi - i think 300-350 tq would be a good goal. My wife got me a gucci dmf cluch for xmas from darkside.

morgancanfield

TDI
Last edited:

morgancanfield

TDI
Update....

Got the Steering Rack rebuilt since it was easy to get to at this point
Ordered Euro Trans and Diff - 01E GLX Trans Code with 3.88 Ratio - will rebuild them before install
Ordered New Arnott Bags/Shocks for front & rear - will install with all new suspension parts
Bought and installed a dark gray alcantara headliner...looks really nice

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
Just in case anyone is wondering what the actual difference between a BEW and BHW Crank is....here are pics...and yes...I decided to go for the euro crank. Not necessary, but for some darn reason I wanted to do it
Did you mean BGW crank and not BEW? BGW was the manual version of the BHW. BEW is the 1.9 PD motor and IIRC has smaller wrist pins for the rods. Not sure about the crank journal sizes

morgancanfield

TDI
Did you mean BGW crank and not BEW? BGW was the manual version of the BHW. BEW is the 1.9 PD motor and IIRC has smaller wrist pins for the rods. Not sure about the crank journal sizes
You're correct...that was a typo. I have a BGW Crankshaft - thanks for checking....could have saved me a big headache

biturbo

TDI
2004 Audi allroad TDI BHW

FrankenAudi

TDI
01 Audi Quattro Allroad 6Mt.
TDI swap 00-05 Audi Allroad N.A. 6Mt Tranny -with TDI 2.0??

I just want to confirm if the North America 01-05 Audi Allroad - 6 speed Manual, with 4.375:1 Final Ratio , though not ideal is still doable , although freeway mileage won't be as good as UK Diesel 6 MT ,, I suspect the diesel gearset would be tougher also ?? ..This would mate to 04-05 2.0L TDI,, Stage 1 or 1.5 . I don't do a lot of freeway anyway.. Thks

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
Yes it will mechanically work

SteelyS6

TDI
None yet
Sachs SRE 240mm with OE DMF: http://www.darksidedevelopments.co....ssat-audi-a4-audi-a6-1-9-2-0-tdi-6-speed.html

Went with the organic disc and have never had any slippage issues.

Note that going with 240mm required an EU only diesel starter, and a 5.5mm spacer between the engine and trans.

There are SMF flywheel/clutch solutions out there that allow the OE starter, but can accelerate synchro wear / issues.
Hello, I am gearing up for a similar conversion on my allroad. Going with the LUK dual mass and sachs setup, and a FTH TDI trans, 5.5 spacer and EU starter.

I am just looking for your feedback on the crankshaft engagement, sounds like so far so good? How many miles since your swap?

FrankenAudi

TDI
01 Audi Quattro Allroad 6Mt.
HI! SteelyS6 ,, I was supposed to buy a Swapped buy a 01 Audi Allroad 6MT ,, but the guy backout ,,? He's still trying to sell it ,, it was on Ebay , and then he pulled off , So i was going to do my own , but because the Gear ratio and weight ,, i mostly won't choose the Allroad , likely a different Audi maybe an A4 Avant ,, i 'm looking at Audi Sedan A4 Build ,, really want a wagon,, Hope it works out for your build ,, keep us updated.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Hello, I am gearing up for a similar conversion on my allroad. Going with the LUK dual mass and sachs setup, and a FTH TDI trans, 5.5 spacer and EU starter.
I am just looking for your feedback on the crankshaft engagement, sounds like so far so good? How many miles since your swap?
Ahh,,, the crank engagement.

Ended up being not alot - about 3.5mm of input shaft to pilot bearing by my very careful measurements.

I pressed the pilot bearing into the crank and left the end flush with the face of the snout - not recessed to the taper. Mine has been that way for about 150,000km and no issues - I'm leaving it that way.

SteelyS6

TDI
None yet
I have a set of 18X8.5 9 Spoke wheels that I am thinking about using. They are marked ET30. Anyone know if these are suitable? I was thinking about powder coating them in a dark graphite color.

https://1drv.ms/i/s!ArZ_ISFPd6Vjgpdqm-v3CmNjpvl-RQ
Factory allroad offset is ET25, but those wheels will work fine on an allroad. They should clear your TTRS brake setup.

If not, run a spacer.

I'm also in the process of hunting down a passat donor and doing the conversion, love all the other upgrades you have done.

Last edited: