Any clues what's to change in Golf 2011?

frizB

TDI
na
As per topic, has anyone read/heard of what the 2011 Golf will offer in terms of refresh/additions/subtractions from the current 2010 model?

I'm not talking about rumours regarding a MK7, knowing fully well that such a model is at least 2-3 years down the line, but I would be interested in seeing what VW will be changing in the 2011 model.

Perhaps VW will finally offer Xenon lights as an option for Canadians? Perhaps tweaks to the engine or suspension (Canadian models get the base model suspension on all Golfs - sport suspension come only on the Sportline and GTI)...

Historically speaking, has there been many (any) changes within a production model run or not quite?

ibid

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2002, Red
There probably won't be much changes..
Sometimes they offer a different color option or 2 (exterior color) is about all I've seen.

Heck, between 2004 and 2005 MKIV, there was ZERO changes at all... It was 2003 that had special editions like the 20thAnniv, the 337 and then the only special 2004 was the R32 (which I owned)... but otherwise the 2003-2005 was the same (no changes in options)

I wouldn't expect much except maybe some 'fixes' from issues that this 1st model presents. But no I have not read anything about 2011 model changes.

frizB

TDI
na
Hmmm... I suppose one shouldn't expect any wholesale changes, but there are a few niggles that keep re-surfacing here and there which (at least I hope) VW will take into account and make some "improvements" or changes.

Additional colors would be nice. One thing which prompted my initial question really dealt with the climate control system. The current one seems ... well, lacking. One sees all the Euro TDIs and most Golfs apportioned with dual climate control system, yet we only get the three knobs with difficult to read gauge display for the climate control.

Then there's the radio (RCD) which is becoming a bit of a topic of discussion in itself (reception, user input response lag, color schemes, etc).

Either way, I'd love to see a GTD for purchase up here, but I'll just go back to dreaming about that. ... :D

ddschwaner

TDI
2010 Golf TDI loaded 6spd on order ; 2002 Jetta GLS loaded 5spd
I believe 2011 or 2012 they will revise the motor like the 2.0T and make it time chain and not belt ect... i really hope they dont do much or i will get jealous and trade my 2010 golf for a new one lol

kzod

TDI
None (yet)
I'm hoping they replace the radio, and give us proper bluetooth (9w3) for canadian cars. The GTD will remain a dream in north america. I wouldn't complain about the climate control. I've been driving VW & Audi's for years, and the fancier the gadgets the more likely they are to screw up the electronics. Which could explain the crappy radios and BT issues. Also, don't forget that Euro spec cars cost up to double what they sell for here. Which explains why you shouldn't hold your breath waiting for rear view cameras.

frizB

TDI
na
I'd consider the rear-camera thing more of a gimmick than a necessity, especially with all the spacious parking delimitation we have on our streets in North America - I mean it's not difficult to turn your head to look where you're headed when you parallel park. Also it's not like the Golf is somekind of truck either.

For the Canadian TDIs, I'd like to see better suspension, option of xenon, dual climate control, better radio reception among other things. I really doubt sticking in dual climate control would raise the price of the car by a significant amount.

In all honesty, the Canadian TDI Comfortline and Highline are nicely packaged vehicles, but there's room for improvement, particularly in terms of the above-mentioned feature-set.

A timing chain would be very sweet though, I'll give you that. But VW would find it in their means to raise the price of the vehicle significantly, I'm sure.

Either way, when does word of any changes percolate down to general knowledge? March, April, May?

Last edited:

ibid

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2002, Red
The good thing about the radio is if you did NOT get NAV, aftermarket options ARE available (YAY!).. and I might just have to go that route down the line myself...

In 2012 if the GTD made it here, I would probably have to sell my beloved 2010 TDI Golf and 'upgrade'... a GTD would be fantastic but I have this wierd feeling it just won't happen here :(

frizB

TDI
na
But would an aftermarket radio affect the MFD or vice-versa? Also what sort of aftermarket radios are available that would fit into that huge space?

Wonder if VW will come up with some sort firmware upgrade for the RCD unit... A friend of mine's really frustrated with his radio (reception and the blinding silver buttons), but thing is he's not quite willing to spend thousands to replace a radio.

C'mon VW, throw us a bone here. :rolleyes:

ibid

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2002, Red
I have never spent THOUSANDS to replace a radio... I typically get one from Crutchfield and you can go online to check out options that fit the double din.. I think they have options for $1500 and less (not thousands) and you can go shop elsewhere for better deals too (crutchfield isn't always the cheapest as most know but a GREAT reference starting point)

bfloyd4445

TDI
2011 Golf 2dr all options
there a good write up on the current engine in the feb 2010 issue of Diesel Power magazine.
as for the belt chain issue: The belt is quieter with a good service life very similiar to the chain. The chain system uses a nylon insert in the gears to allow flexing and to quiet noisy chain. I've built engines using steel gears and chain which resulted in a nosiy engine with an extremely long chain service life. The all steel helped with souped up engines that slammed hundreds of HP through the drivetrain when the throttle was hit. For the 2.0 tdi, well, that aint never gonna happen so the belt should preform very well. I opt for a quiet engine in a small car like this myself. Just change the thing at the recomended service interval or before if you do a lot of off highway driving.

simoco

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI S
The 2011 TDIs are getting a downgrade in radios RCD510 will be downgraded the to the RCD310 (loses touch and color screen also smaller screen) http://vwmico.com/2010/07/28/rcd-310-first-look/
While the RNS510 (navigation) will be downgraded to the RNS310 (smaller screen. no dvd, no harddrive). http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a6/rns315-GPS-FAQ-VW.htm

One positive about 2011 Golf TDI, you are getting the latest bluetooth module, 9w7.

In 2012 if the GTD made it here, I would probably have to sell my beloved 2010 TDI Golf and 'upgrade'... a GTD would be fantastic but I have this wierd feeling it just won't happen here :(
I have the same exact feelings. Would trade my 10 Golf TDI for a GTD in a heart beat, also do the same for an all wheel drive golf TDI :D Though like you and many people out there, I believe we won't even get those options.

InquiringMind

TDI
2011 Golf 4dr
The 2011 TDIs are getting a downgrade in radios RCD510 will be downgraded the to the RCD310 (loses touch and color screen also smaller screen) http://vwmico.com/2010/07/28/rcd-310-first-look/
While the RNS510 (navigation) will be downgraded to the RNS310 (smaller screen. no dvd, no harddrive). http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a6/rns315-GPS-FAQ-VW.htm

One positive about 2011 Golf TDI, you are getting the latest bluetooth module, 9w7.

I have the same exact feelings. Would trade my 10 Golf TDI for a GTD in a heart beat, also do the same for an all wheel drive golf TDI :D Though like you and many people out there, I believe we won't even get those options.
Per post #86 on this thread the radio (w/o nav) on the 2011 TDI Golfs is still the RCD510.