2002 s-10 2.0 tdi conversion

s-10tdi

TDI
2012 2.0 tdi
Hello, I am new to all this, am in the process of doing a 2.0 tdi conversion in my s-10. Looking for help on wire harnesses, etc. I bought a 2012 golf 2.0 tdi, so I have the whole car. SOOOOOOOOOO where to start. thanks

ManicMechanic

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf, 00 Golf, 02 Beetle
If the car is assembled and running currently the best thing to do would be to remove as much of the emissions stuff and tune it and the immobilizer out now before you get the engine out. Then if there is a problem it will make it easier to find rather than having to figure out if it's a swap problem or an engine problem. That's where I would start anyway.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
Ditto /\ as I did it the opposite way (could not start the donor car as it was badly wrecked) for my Tiguan conversion.

I installed the complete drive train from the Golf in stock form and started it before any mods happened. With the S10, you will not have that luxury.

Exenos

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf
I'll third that. Definitely sort out as much stuff while its in the donor then make sure you start it out of the vehicle before you start to thin out the harness. I did neither and regret it... And label label label. So much easier than guessing and tracing wires to find out what a certain plug is.

What transmission are you using? I used a nv3500 from an s10 in my swap so I can probably help you with measurements regarding that. I lost my drawing for the plate but I still have the drawing for the crank adapter if it would help you.

s-10tdi

TDI
2012 2.0 tdi
okay, what's an immobilzer, like I said, very new to all of this, I have have done a lot of conversion stuff but not this type, and how much emissions? Is there a diagram I could look at? thanks for the help

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
Hmm, if you are not familiar with the CR and VW stuff in general, I suggest you read up on them before tearing things down. For my Tiguan TDI conversion I spent 3 weeks studying the wiring diagrams and mapping out all the wires from the donor car and Tiguan before I touched anything. In the end it saved me a lot of time and heartache. I also talked with my tuner (Mike at TDTuning) and had a game plan with him as well.

Immobilizer is the theft deterant system which keeps the car from running when key, ecu and IC do not match. You will need a good tuner to work with to get this coded out. There is a lot of things which can be done with the emissions, which you will definitely have to do since you are turning the engine and the exhaust will have to be fabricated.

I suggest you reach out to Hasenwerk as he has developed a lot of harnesses and black boxes which will allow the ECU and S-10 components communicate.

s-10tdi

TDI
2012 2.0 tdi
thank you, yes I have been doing a lot of research, a lot of good stuff out there. I will look up hesenwerk. thanks