Camshaft Questions

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Pretty sure I'll be needing a new camshaft soon and I have a few questions.

Cascade German's website indicates that folks have used the BEW camshaft because of better longevity. Has anyone here used the BEW cam? How different is the profile? What are your thoughts?

There are three camshafts available, Febi and Kobelschmidt - both cast, and AMC - machined billet steel. Anyone here have experience with any of these?

Thanks!

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
This was discussed plenty of times over the years in detail. Use the search option, you'll get better results than asking people to retype what was already written.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
This was discussed plenty of times over the years in detail. Use the search option, you'll get better results than asking people to retype what was already written.
I'm not a newbie. I did that, and didn't find the answers to my specific questions. Thanks for nothing...

Last edited:

d0u8l3m

Veteran Member
TDI
B5.5 Passat
I'm not a newbie. I did that, and didn't find the answers to my specific questions. Thanks for nothing...
You definitely didn't search hard enough....

Go get yourself an OEM BHW cam from the dealer or anywhere you can get an original one. The BEW cam will give you less power unless you tune the engine to compensate, and if you want to tune the engine you need to first drop cash to do a bsm delete and manual transmission swap or bad things will probably happen when your right foot gets into it. Colt cams are overpriced in the states because of Kerma TDI, and give you minimal gains (not worth it because of the high price). Same for franks cam (which would be worse since its a bew profile, again unless you tune the engine).

Frans recommended that I stick with my stock OEM cam unless it needed to be replaced, and if it did replace it with the same one. (if you don't know hes the one who supplies most of us with our manual swap setups so imma trust his tribal knowledge over anything else)

Good luck

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
You definitely didn't search hard enough....
Go get yourself an OEM BHW cam from the dealer or anywhere you can get an original one. The BEW cam will give you less power unless you tune the engine to compensate, and if you want to tune the engine you need to first drop cash to do a bsm delete and manual transmission swap or bad things will probably happen when your right foot gets into it. Colt cams are overpriced in the states because of Kerma TDI, and give you minimal gains (not worth it because of the high price). Same for franks cam (which would be worse since its a bew profile, again unless you tune the engine).
Frans recommended that I stick with my stock OEM cam unless it needed to be replaced, and if it did replace it with the same one. (if you don't know hes the one who supplies most of us with our manual swap setups so imma trust his tribal knowledge over anything else)
Good luck
Thanks, I did search and read 3 or 4 threads. That's why I didn't ask about Colt or Franko6 cams. My wagon already has a geared BSM and an RC Stage 2 tune. I also flush the transmission every 60K miles so I'm good there too.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
And now, for a break from the angry reply session, and turning to a hopefully useful one. ;)

My daily driver (now my son’s) has 340k on it, with the engine that is currently in it having approx 190k. I thought I was going to California this past Spring, so I was looking over the car in case I took it on the trip. I did inspect the cam and it had some wear but that did not concern me as much as one of the lifters breaking and stranding me. (They had some hair line cracks in the top surface.)
I have replaced a BHW for a BEW in stock cars for other people and they reported back that is was not quite as quick off the line but no issues otherwise. In other applications I have also used the stock one or Frank’s in my past replacements with no change in performance.

My car is currently set up with a GGB 5 speed, BSM delete, TDTuning stage 2 tune and Whitbread clutch. Just to try a BEW in my own car, I ordered a BEW kit from Aaron at Cascade. Frankly, I cannot tell much of any difference. In fact, hitting MPG’s in the 40’s is easier with this cam on the interstate than with the stock cam (of course there was wear on it to factor in). YMMV. At highway speeds there is no difference in performance at all.

Hope this is a useful post.

wtribeflyer

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI sedan
I've got 60k on my Febi and it still looks good after recent inspection. Stock grind from idparts. Knocking on wood as I'm typing. Lol

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
Maybe read more than 3-4 threads before gicing up? I had no problem finding out all that I wanted to know when it was time to change the camshaft using the search option. All the information one needs is there if they are willing to put the effort in.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
And now back to our regularly scheduled angry reply session. ;)

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
I have had a franko6 reprofiled bew for past 100k.
I wouldn't trade it for an original.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
Thanks, most of you anyway, for your replies. Just had the Golf up to Oliver's (TDIRacing) for some work this morning and discussed it with him. Will be going with Febi.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
Maybe read more than 3-4 threads before gicing up? I had no problem finding out all that I wanted to know when it was time to change the camshaft using the search option. All the information one needs is there if they are willing to put the effort in.
Ignored.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
BEW or BHW profile?
Oliver didn't have an opinion, so I'm waiting to hear back from Jeff @ Rocket Chip about that and if a tweak to the tune will be required. He's on vacation until next week, but I'll post here when I find out.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Thanks - I have a malone tune, and when my (Knocks on wood) original cam finally poops out, I'm thinking BEW, if only for the slightly less agressive profile / longevity... as long as the slight reduction in power is livable.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
It is very livable

mgoff5000

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2004 Passat (RIP)
Honestly the job isn't difficult enough to worry all that much about longevity. My vote is for an inexpensive BHW profile camshaft. If you had to do this every TB change it just wouldn't be a big deal.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
And, the timing couldn't have been better; <10K miles away from a TB job and I won a complete TB kit at TDI Fest last year...