2006 MK5 Kerma Tune Question

kd5zmg

TDI
06 Jetta TDI
So,

I have a crazy situation I am in right now. I recently (June 2018) put my Jetta in the shop here in IFID because the car went into limp mode and the dealer was not able to reset it. They claimed the EGR needed to be replaced, when in fact the cam was worn out. Also, the car went into limp mode because the Turbo was seized.

To shorten up this story, I went ahead and purchased the Colt Stage 2 Cam deluxe kit from Kerma TDi and the PD140 Darkside build/mod. Kyle the Eurotech mechanic called me today and said that because I do not have a tune for the new turbo, I will not be able to use this turbo because of something to do with the actuator. I called Kerma back and Mike the guy who sold it to me that it will in fact work, but I would not get the performance out of the Colt Stage 2 and the new PD140 turbo. I do plan on getting the Tune and the 3 Bar that is recommended, but I will not get the clutch until it is worn out. I will have to get the milder tune until I can afford the Stage 2 clutch.

My question is, has anyone run a Kerma tune with the clutch saver as the tune? Supposedly the clutch saver tune is less boost.

I am looking forward to get the most out of this setup though, just not today. I just want my car back...

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
I personally havent ran it. But i have ran a PD140 on a brm without a tune specifically for it. It will work. Have the mechanic install your parts and do whatever Kerma says. They have all the knowledge you need to be successful.

kd5zmg

TDI
06 Jetta TDI
Just got back from Eurotech and got my old Turbo back. The exhaust side of the turbo was spinning free, but the intake side... well it was totally seized. The Exhaust side also had a lot of play in it. The mechanic was saying it would be too much work and money to put into it for it to be worth the repair.

Is this true?

BTW, I should have it back tomorrow...:D

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Send it to Prothe. :D He'll give a bath, a paint job and "rebuild" it with a Chinese cartridge and it all good to go for destroying another TDI.

Hans Auto Parts (and aliases) has been proudly destroying TDI's since 2003.

Last edited:

kd5zmg

TDI
06 Jetta TDI
Send it to Prothe. :D He'll give a bath, a paint job and "rebuild" it with a Chinese cartridge and it all good to go for destroying another TDI.

Hans Auto Parts (and aliases) has been proudly destroying TDI's since 2003.

Oh dang, it's that good huh.

Well, got the car back today. CEL still on until tune is applied, but it feels like normal again. :) Even slipped some traction in second gear by accident :D.

Can't wait to get the clutch saver Kerma Tune and 3Bar in there, it has me curious :confused: as to how much improvement I will notice.

Will my 37MPG go back up to at least 45MPG again?:confused:

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
When i had my Pd140 and Malone Custom 2 tune i was averaging mid- low 50s in my BRM at 60-70mph. If i did 50-55mph i could get 58ish mpg.