Replacement proceedure for Turbo Actuator on ALH

Dana Hanchett

Veteran Member
TDI
Have a bad Turbo actuator (leaks vac). What's the proceedure to replace it ? I need a detailed "how to" as this is the first one I have have found bad. I'm struggling with the actuator end removal. Bently paper and CD no help as VW wants to replace complete turbo asy. Thanks. Dana.:) :)

Harvieux

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
06 A5 Pkg.2 w/navi & ASEP
Hi Dana, All you need to do is R & R it and then adjust the actuator arm to where it just starts to move the vane arm with 3 to 5 inches of vacuum with the Mity-Vac. The actuator arm is connected to the vane arm via a special circlip. Surround the area with rags and carefully work the clip off. Be careful because if you lose it, it may be nearly impossible to acquire one. Later!

Last edited:

Dana Hanchett

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the reply Harv. but before I read the your reply I just loosened the jam nut and unscrewed the actuator rod. Because of corrosion the lock nut on the actuator did not move. I then put fingernail polish on the actuator rod threads to hold the jam nut from turning when I screwed the actuator rod into the adjuster. When the jam nut stops the turning of the actuator rod I stopped. Installed holding nuts and locked up the actuator lock nut (1/4 turn). I really didn't want to deal with that blasted circlip.:) :)

Harvieux

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
06 A5 Pkg.2 w/navi & ASEP
Dana Hanchett said:
Thanks for the reply Harv. but before I read the your reply I just loosened the jam nut and unscrewed the actuator rod. Because of corrosion the lock nut on the actuator did not move. I then put fingernail polish on the actuator rod threads to hold the jam nut from turning when I screwed the actuator rod into the adjuster. When the jam nut stops the turning of the actuator rod I stopped. Installed holding nuts and locked up the actuator lock nut (1/4 turn). I really didn't want to deal with that blasted circlip.:) :)
Yup, those rustbelt specimens requires that extra special creativity from the technicians. Luckily, I was originally from Detroit so, I have a bit of that knowledge but, because of my attempts to acquire mostly non-inclement weather specimens, I'm getting a bit rusty, with pun intended. ;) Later!

cadman1940

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
cadman1940

Hi fellas may I offer a really cheap but really good solution for rust problems. Use alcohol of any type I used it to release the cast iron turbo cover on my vnt15 turbo and internals as my turbo was messy from being babied by previous owner. For what it is worth alchol is cheaper than penetrating oil and works faster I only soaked my turbo about 15 minutes and a few light taps with a hamer & punch and opened up. Thanks Eric
Dana Hanchett said:

lvtx_tdi

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
Stuck

Hi Dana, All you need to do is R & R it and then adjust the actuator arm to where it just starts to move the vane arm with 3 to 5 inches of vacuum with the Mity-Vac. The actuator arm is connected to the vane arm via a special circlip. Surround the area with rags and carefully work the clip off. Be careful because if you lose it, it may be nearly impossible to acquire one. Later!
Okay -- so I never go the circlip off I end up unscrewing the old actuator and now I am puzzled on how to replace the damn thing. Can see anything from the bottom, no room on top. There has to be a way to do this. Please help!

My car 2009 Jetta TDI. The repair kit came in two days ago and now I am stuck. All help appreciated.!