Do you guys run a fuel additive in your TDI's?

loanman

TDI
2005 Passat TDI
I am new to the VW TDI's but not new to diesels in general. All I have ever owned is diesel trucks.

in my diesel trucks everyone recommends a diesel fuel additive due to the Ultra Low Sulfer diesel fuels, do you guys recommend them in the TDI's?

if so which do you run?

in my trucks I use POWER SERVICE Cetane

DonL

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta TDI wagon (BEW)
additive

I add B99 to any diesel that does not already have biodiesel in it. I figure between 2 and 5 percent is the right amount. I do not exceed 5 %.

blaz

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat
Up here we get Power Service "White Bottle" for the winter, helps reduce fuel gelling, adds cetane, etc.. They've also got a "Grey Bottle" that some people use in the summer but, so far, my passat's run fine with regular diesel in the summer.

But in the winter I'll use the white bottle, especially when making the long run up from Florida in mid-winter when I may be burning a summer mix diesel from Florida when I hit the West Virginny mountains.

Smokerr

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat Wagon GL,2005,Silver
Up here in Alaska we do not need gell protection, fuel is winterized (100% sure same is true for Canada.

That said, the lubricity standard for fuel was not as robust as the engine./injection mfgs wanted. Compromise. How much of an issue unknown, but it does not hurt.

Ditto a bit better cetane used to be good. ULSD process increases cetane, no one is saying how much. Hmmmm. Possibly no longer an issue.

The other reason I use it was that it stopped the smoking (ergo Smokerr). We had nasty 500 ppm when I got Passat, saw another one smoking as well. Suspect the DOC got messed up (and good luck with convinginc VW).

It was a lucky find, added it for lubricity, smoke went away over a couple of tanks. Now I can run for a while and ok (4-5 tanks) and then comes back. So off and on. No soot blowouts with it either. I am not into making a mess, I keep my cars clean and believe its ugly to do that to people.

I use Racor Conditioner +, 1 oz treats 16 gallons (handy for Passat sized tank). Cost $12 a bottle, so its economical.

LoneLIPumpeDuse

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat,04,BLUE GRAPHITE PRL
ulsd

When it gets colder I'll run amsoil cetane boost. Right now 16oz of B100 per tank.

It was my understanding that ULSD had less cetane and less lubricity.:confused:
http://www.dieselpowermag.com/tech/ford/0911dp_fuel_additive_test/index.html
During the refinement of ULSD, fuel is flooded with hydrogen to remove sulfur, but in the process also removes much of the fuel's lubrication properties, as well as cetane content. This leads to many things, but we're focusing on the fact that cetane numbers aren't consistent. This means each time you fill up at your local station, the quality of fuel is different.

Smokerr

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat Wagon GL,2005,Silver
It was my understanding that ULSD had less cetane and less lubricity.:confused:
http://www.dieselpowermag.com/tech/ford/0911dp_fuel_additive_test/index.html
During the refinement of ULSD, fuel is flooded with hydrogen to remove sulfur, but in the process also removes much of the fuel's lubrication properties, as well as cetane content. This leads to many things, but we're focusing on the fact that cetane numbers aren't consistent. This means each time you fill up at your local station, the quality of fuel is different.
Sounds like an add for an additive (pun)

Its like politician, a smidgen of the truth mixed with lies and you can make out of it what you want.

I don't know the specifics, but the process actually adds cetane.

I do know RAW ULSD is lower in lubricity. However, that was recognized and lubricity is added back in the form of additives. There is disagreement if it was enough, so a bit more is not a bad thing.

ULSD only has to be minimum 42 cetane, no mfg I know says what it actually is, unless its a high octane diesel, then they will say. If it actually is better than 42, they will not say as it does not let them charge a premium for adding a bit (or none). Very deep secret as to what the average of normal ULSD actually is. Lot of research and no one is talking. A bit more does not hurt, but if its 48 already, no real help (not much if any improvmetn over 50 or so from what I read)

Keep in mind that btu content and cetane are two different things, and ULSD does have a bit less BTUs.

dhuddleson

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Highline TDI sedan
where is the best place to buy these fuel additives in bulk?
What do you mean by "bulk"? The PowerService white and grey bottles come in 32oz and 80oz sizes, so you could consider the 80oz as a bulk size (2 1/2 times the 32oz)... The large bottle should be around $20 or so.

You should be able to find these additives at common retailers such as Pep Boys, AutoZone etc. Up north of the border, we can readily find it at Canadian Tire stores.

tcp_ip_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Sedan
I am new to the VW TDI's but not new to diesels in general. All I have ever owned is diesel trucks.

in my diesel trucks everyone recommends a diesel fuel additive due to the Ultra Low Sulfer diesel fuels, do you guys recommend them in the TDI's?

if so which do you run?

in my trucks I use POWER SERVICE Cetane

Use the search tool here on this site (lubricity, HPFP, etc), there are numerous lengthy discussions already taking place on this subject; no need to start another thread. ;)

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
While there is nothing wrong with PS Diesel Kleen , 400 to 1 (I use it in the 09 TDI) I would (and do) use Primrose 405C, 3000 to 1: far cheaper per mile.

DickSilver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 B5.5V, 1996 B4V
I used Power Service grey bottle for years, then stopped earlier this year after the ULSD market had time to stabilize. Can't tell any difference, except I am spending a bit less money....

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
I used Power Service grey bottle for years, then stopped earlier this year after the ULSD market had time to stabilize. Can't tell any difference, except I am spending a bit less money....

I would agree, even as I use it for different reasons: 1. fuel pump lubricity 2. H20 emulsification 3. cetane boost 4. etc. I have used it for 7 years/148,000 miles (Primrose 405 C) and could not tell a difference between tank fulls of not using it. I stopped using it for app 3 months (stash ran out) and could not tell a difference for 3 months of NO additive use. I started back up and can STILL tell no difference.

mechanist

Veteran Member
TDI
97 Passat silver like the rest, 2005 B5.5 in dirty black, 2015 Passat Highline auto white.
I premix a blend of stanadyne lubricity with low ash synthetic 2 cycle oil at 1:1. and use an ounce per fill. Been using that for years, no noticeable improvement in my B5, B4, but the Duramax that's chipped and dipped likes it (3oz per fill). However, NO fuel related problems whatsoever in years and years.