where is the throttle body?!

petertf

TDI
Passat Sport 1.9
I need to clean out my throttle body as I am experiencing rough idling times on occasion. However, I cannot find it in my engine (AVB - 2001 1.9TDI passat saloon).

I know it is situated near the air cleaner, but i am finding it difficult to locate! I would be grateful if anyone could point me in the right direction and if it is possible, post a picture to show me where it is and then I know exactly what I am looking for.

Thanks

wgargan

Veteran Member
TDI
4 door golf, 2000, black
I thought diesels did not have a throttle since fuel enters at the cylinder.??

petertf

TDI
Passat Sport 1.9
apparently they do...my mate who is ex head mechanic for a VW garage says there is and so does the Haynes Manual...but the haynes doesn't say and my mate has tried to explain it over the phone but maybe i am missing something :S....do you need to take the cover off the air filter aswel? And is it low down in the engine compartment or relatively near the top?!

petertf

TDI
Passat Sport 1.9
ok....maybe i was wrong about the haynes...it only seems to mention it once for petrol injection engines :S so unless my mate thinks I have a petrol instead of a diesel....i haven't got a clue

wgargan

Veteran Member
TDI
4 door golf, 2000, black
maybe this is in reference to the anti shudder valve, located near the egr.

petertf

TDI
Passat Sport 1.9
and where abouts on that pic is the throttle body? and is that a diesel engine? I am guessing it is so sorry if i sound dumb!

wgargan

Veteran Member
TDI
4 door golf, 2000, black
that is your engine (But ALH i think) No throttle body. its a diesel.

petertf

TDI
Passat Sport 1.9
meh fair enough...I will give my mate a call and maake sure he knows it is a diesel!

Thanks for your help guys

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Clarification:

There is a device that "looks" like a throttle body, and it is called the anti-shudder valve (mentioned above). However, this "throttle" is wide open all the time the engine is running ... even at idle.

Whatever's causing your rough idle, isn't this.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
Could it possibly be slow-down shudder? :confused:

DPM

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2019 Rav4 AWD Hybrid, Citroen C4 BlueHDI
Many Euro engines use this "anti-shudder" valve to throttle the intake flow and allow more EGR; so yes, it is a throttle...

Spartan1320

TDI
2000 golf Bought in germany
diesel= no throttle rpm is controled by amount of fuel inceted ... so is idle check that your injectors are fine and that the fuel filter isnt clogged up

TDikook

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'06 Golf Anthracite Blue
and to Clarify it a bit more. #18 is your EGR valve, where that is inside the pipe is where you will want to look for clogging, take off the rubber hose and look inside with a light. you will know for sure if it needs cleaning or not.

Eric B

chimaera

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Skoda Superb Combi CR170
Ok folks, time for some clarity here! In Europe, the 2001 model year Passat had a PD engine, not a VE type. The AVB engine is a 100bhp PD. The picture above will bear little resemblance to the Passat engine bay due to this.

Peterf, have you checked the fuel and air filters? If they're clogged up, the flow restriction will be most noticeable at idle. After that, check what the others said. Also if you can, get it checked with VAG-COM or similar to see if there are any fault codes that might point to the problem.

Last edited:

petertf

TDI
Passat Sport 1.9
i haven't checked them yet but I will. Also, VERY ocassionaly, when i change gear the revs will stay when i take my foot off the accelerator....but this is only VERY ocassionaly. I will also check the EGR valve and if possible the anti-shudder valve whereever that may be!

There have been no faults on my display either but I shall try and borrow a vag-com system to see if there are any fault codes.