NHTSA Update on CR HPFP failure investigation

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
This is the reason why TDI club should have a RD center.VW will do something about this HPFP problem is my guess.When lawyers get involve it just takes time.:rolleyes:

madmako

TDI
2011 JSW 6M MetWhite SR
HPFP Replacement Schedule

roflmao.....you kill me. Read my thread on my jsw's second flatbed ride. I must have bought the lightning rod package. You vw apologist's kill me. Is the sand that warm around your head?

I want to keep my car, but there are no answers on how to make it safe to drive. I guess i could run a analysis on every fuel station before i buy fuel. I guess that would be the next step up from my "buy every gallon form a major station with high turnover"

i could inspect my filter every day and flush the system and r+r the hpfp for inspection weekly.

Or i could wait for the second fuel system to be installed and trade in this nightmare.

Paul
This post has been deleted as demanded by the moderator. Evidently, adding additional humor to the interminable hand wringing on this topic has been viewed as "trolling". Banishment won't be necessary. I'm leaving.

Last edited:

DasTeknoViking

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 TDi, A4 R32
was at one of the larger Chicago dealers today to get my wifes GTi a set of new piston rings as it burns a bit more oil than it should... the tech is my cousin. I asked him how many HPFP failures this dealership has seen and he had to think hard about it, said 2 and both where because they where filled with gas.

Seriously this problem is blown out of proportion way too much. If you really need a wagon, there is only once choice out there; B4V. Reliable as a brick outhouse. Drive more worry less.

The_Mike

TDI
2011 Golf TDI Manual
was at one of the larger Chicago dealers today to get my wifes GTi a set of new piston rings as it burns a bit more oil than it should... the tech is my cousin. I asked him how many HPFP failures this dealership has seen and he had to think hard about it, said 2 and both where because they where filled with gas.

Seriously this problem is blown out of proportion way too much. If you really need a wagon, there is only once choice out there; B4V. Reliable as a brick outhouse. Drive more worry less.
Until yours is the one that blows up. I logged my NHTSA complaint yesterday. :(

tdipoet

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'11 Jetta TDI
and that right there is the problem. if it's such a low rate of failures, vw should take care of their drivers. which they seem to be quietly doing, but for how long?

The_Mike

TDI
2011 Golf TDI Manual
and that right there is the problem. if it's such a low rate of failures, vw should take care of their drivers. which they seem to be quietly doing, but for how long?
Exactly. When BMW got hit with a very similar problem, they eventually guaranteed a 10-year/120,000 mile warranty on the pump, and recalled certain years. VW has a history of sweeping things under the rug until warranty periods are done.

I would be satisfied if VW instituted a similar warranty. If it's such a small percentage, it won't cost them much. If it it's more widespread, then the negative press they eventually get will damage their credibility, so they really need to come up with a fix.

In at least the US market, the N54 engine has been characterized by a very large number of High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) failures, leading to many BMW NA vehicle Lemon Law "buy backs" and reduced customer goodwill. On some engines the HPFP was replaced four times within the first few years of service.[citation needed] BMW has instituted a 10-year, 120,000-mile (190,000 km) warranty on the part, but only for 2007, 2008 and 2009 model year vehicles with the N54 engine. Other model years, to include 2009 models, continue to report HPFP failures.[15] As of late 2009, the low pressure fuel sensor has become suspected of causing some premature failures of the HPFP by engine tuners such as AMS and CP-E. BMW tried to engineer a newer HPFP solution to eliminate HPFP issues users were having. The first 335/135s came out with 1351 7 537 320 HPFP followed shortly by 1351 7 585 655 HPFP and 2009 model had 1351 7 592 881 HPFP followed by 1351 7 596 123 HPFP. These pumps were updated and replaced again due to the high rate of failure with 1351 7 594 943 HPFP. But these also started to fail and got updated and replaced in May 2010 with a brand-new re-manufactured pump 1351 7 613 933 HPFP.[22] On the 26th of October, 2010, immediately following an ABC News story about HPFP failures,[23] BMW announced a recall of vehicles with the pump in question from manufacturing years 2007-2010.[24] In 12/2010 this part was replaced by #13517616170 which seems to have resolved this long-standing issue. A class action suit has been filed against BMW regarding these problems. [16]

Niner

duplicate account, banned
Exactly. When BMW got hit with a very similar problem, they eventually guaranteed a 10-year/120,000 mile warranty on the pump, and recalled certain years. VW has a history of sweeping things under the rug until warranty periods are done.

I would be satisfied if VW instituted a similar warranty. If it's such a small percentage, it won't cost them much. If it it's more widespread, then the negative press they eventually get will damage their credibility, so they really need to come up with a fix.
It's not about redesigning the warranty, it's about redesigning the pump, so it almost never does $8000 in collateral damage. 120k miles isn't enough, not for a diesel. Not when it does that much damage once out of warranty, or once Vw decides they are not going to cover it. Just the pump, if it wears out, should need replacing, not the whole fuel system, that is the design flaw.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
With the potential of a $8000 repair, I would not be content with anything less than a 250K mile warranty on the current setup.

MPBsr

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 TDI....Traded in
With the potential of a $8000 repair, I would not be content with anything less than a 250K mile warranty on the current setup.

If I kept my TDI, I would only consider a "lifetime" warranty.

No single failure should be cause for that kind of cost to repair.

Second Turbo

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 ALH Wagon, 373K, 2nd 01M
What makes this situation unique

MPBsr: > If I kept my TDI, I would only consider a "lifetime" warranty.

You need to wish with greater specificity.
Based on the current timing belt,
VW thinks "lifetime" is a mere 150,000 miles.

> No single failure should be cause for that kind of cost to repair.

Make that: no single unpreventable failure ...

A timing belt failure could result in a repair bill in the same range. We don't worry about TB failure. The difference is that TB failure can effectively be prevented by keeping covers in good order, periodic inspection and scheduled replacement.

There seems to be nothing an owner can do to avoid an HPFP failure, other than not be an owner.

georgi

TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan
There seems to be nothing an owner can do to avoid an HPFP failure, other than not be an owner.
I'm a recent 2010 TDI owner and am concerned about this sort of rhetoric. Statements like this make HPFP failure sound inevitable whereas, to date, that emphatically seems not to be the case. The open/ongoing NHTSA investigation (which this thread is purportedly about... and yes, I've read through the whole shooting match here) unequivocally indicates "failure rates of 0.53% for MY 2009 vehicles and 0.11% for MY 2010 vehicles" and that "fuel contamination was the major cause of HPFP and related fuel system failures." (current reportage of NHTSA Action # EA11003 ==> http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/p...omponent_id=158&summary=true&PrintVersion=YES). Admittedly it is certainly possible that as mileage increases across the affected model years the reported failure rate will increase, but as best I can tell things haven't played out like that yet. I as well understand and am entirely sympathetic to the frustration of those who've suffered the issue (though it seems that in the majority of cases VW has indeed stepped up and taken care of things) and no doubt I'd be equally upset were the issue to land in my lap, but knee-jerk rhetoric around the issue isn't helping anyone and (please forgive my saying so) seems somewhat silly. I'm a gambling man, am loving driving my TDI (and this after my previous two autos having been GTI-VR6s!), and feel quite comfortable with the less than 1% chance that things will go awry with the HPFP. B5 or less only, PS additive just to be safe, and a big green sticker reminding me "diesel only" all are, for me, just an added bit of chrome on what really seems to be (in aggregate, certainly not for the individuals affected!) a trivial concern.
just my 2 pfennige, ymmv... :)
cheers,
-g

Last edited:

Second Turbo

Veteran Member
TDI
It's not rhetoric

georgi> I'm a recent 2010 TDI owner and am concerned about this sort of rhetoric.

I'd like to be a 2012 TDI owner, and I'm concerned about the reality. Seriously. My ALH needs major work or replacement, and a CR would be the obvious choice were it not for the HPFP risk.

> Statements like this make HPFP failure sound inevitable ...

No, but you could (and did) read it that way. The odds are low, but the jackpot is painful (out of warranty, in easily possible future scenarios).

The odds are low enough that VW could easily make the problem go away by offering specific (and inexpensive) insurance. They may yet do just that, but instead have allowed the situation to fester for nearly 3 years.

> ...and that "fuel contamination was the major cause of HPFP and related fuel system failures."

I don't misfuel my ALH. But I have no control over water in the retail tank, gasoline contamination in the tanker, and sleepy terminal employees who neglect to add the specified lubricity agents.

> ... PS additive just to be safe, ...

The reports I've seen here don't suggest that additives (or bio) really offer that much protection. Bio might even increase the risk of water.

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
An '05 MBZ E-320 CDI (W-211) replaced the '10 TDI JSW
So Well Put

:)

That is exactly why I sold mine in December with only 43K miles in less than two years
and am driving what I bought for the money my 2010 JSW TDI brought.

Much more car for the same money with no 'down-the-road' worries!

Drive one and see if you do not agree? :p

:D

Derrel

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
As far as VW stepping up tp the plate and repairing them, IIRC they didn't early on. You got the styro test and denial. I wonder if the dates would coincide of when they started covering them all with when they got wind of trouble brewing.

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
As far as VW stepping up tp the plate and repairing them, IIRC they didn't early on. You got the styro test and denial. I wonder if the dates would coincide of when they started covering them all with when they got wind of trouble brewing.
When the NHSTA Investigation first started VW even covered a couple of known admitted misfuels. Go figure.

Maine12

TDI
09 Jetta TDI 6M-sold
Originally Posted by Second Turbo

Unfortunately that was the same conclusion I came to and sold my 09 Jetta, I will miss the Jetta but won't miss having the HPFP failure + intercooler cloud hanging over my head.

Niner

duplicate account, banned
I'm a recent 2010 TDI owner and am concerned about this sort of rhetoric. Statements like this make HPFP failure sound inevitable whereas, to date, that emphatically seems not to be the case. The open/ongoing NHTSA investigation (which this thread is purportedly about... and yes, I've read through the whole shooting match here) unequivocally indicates "failure rates of 0.53% for MY 2009 vehicles and 0.11% for MY 2010 vehicles" and that "fuel contamination was the major cause of HPFP and related fuel system failures." (current reportage of NHTSA Action # EA11003 ==> http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/p...omponent_id=158&summary=true&PrintVersion=YES). Admittedly it is certainly possible that as mileage increases across the affected model years the reported failure rate will increase, but as best I can tell things haven't played out like that yet. I as well understand and am entirely sympathetic to the frustration of those who've suffered the issue (though it seems that in the majority of cases VW has indeed stepped up and taken care of things) and no doubt I'd be equally upset were the issue to land in my lap, but knee-jerk rhetoric around the issue isn't helping anyone and (please forgive my saying so) seems somewhat silly. I'm a gambling man, am loving driving my TDI (and this after my previous two autos having been GTI-VR6s!), and feel quite comfortable with the less than 1% chance that things will go awry with the HPFP. B5 or less only, PS additive just to be safe, and a big green sticker reminding me "diesel only" all are, for me, just an added bit of chrome on what really seems to be (in aggregate, certainly not for the individuals affected!) a trivial concern.
just my 2 pfennige, ymmv... :)
cheers,
-g
The numbers that you quote were for one moment in time, that segment through November of 2010 from about June of 2010 that NHSTA monitored. Go read the 321 pages of all the incidents, then keep in mind, the failures just keep on coming after November 2010 also, and all through 2011, and now into 2012. There are no more 2009's being produced, they made what 45,000 of them, yet they keep failing, driving the percentage of failure rate up for that year, same for 2010... the percentage rate can only keep on going up, so the statistics and numbers are misleading, completely, in the study. All the cars are another 1.5 years older now, there have been more failures in the field.

The total number of failures, at $8000 a pop, is a moving target... and it can happen at any mileage, from under 600, to 1800, to 6000, to lots of them at 25 to 35k miles, to 86k miles to one individual who lost his at 105k miles last October of 2012. There is no rhyme nor reason to when the pump may or may not fail, but as others have said, when it takes out your whole fuel system, and your car is down for 2 or 3 weeks, while Vw has parts on backorder... your car isn't doing you much good, and the loaner, if you get one at all, is a gas hog and expensive to operate, especially with todays fuel prices, and car rental fees.

The statistics, the number of failures, and the percentage of failures to total cars produced that year can change daily, and they are like your age, they can only go up, up, up. Statistics are not static, they are dynamic, due to time and age... don't be fooled by statistics. The numbers NHTSA has summarized so far is for a very short time period window.

Last edited:

georgi

TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan
The numbers that you quote were for one moment in time, that segment through November of 2010 from about June of 2010 that NHSTA monitored.
By my reading, that is not what the NHTSA report(s) (http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/p...omponent_id=158&summary=true&PrintVersion=YES) seem(s) to indicate. While it's true that "Volkswagen also provided information about 121 mis-fueling incidents reportedly acknowledged by consumers or dealers and test results for about 50 diesel fuel samples taken from complaint vehicles in late-August through early-October 2010", PE10034 (8-26-2010 to 2-8-2011) and EA11003 (2-7-2011 to [ongoing]) with a current report date appear to give those percentages of failures as total aggregate to date ("ODI analysis of HPFP failures identified from all sources [emphasis mine] shows failure rates of 0.53% for MY 2009 vehicles and 0.11% for MY 2010 vehicles"). Can you please show me where in the report the reported failures are indicated as being solely from 6-2010 to 11-2010 as you claim?

Go read the 321 pages of all the incidents,
What "321 pages of all the incidents" are you referring to? Without facetiousness or sarcasm, I'd really like to be educated on the issue! I've read the 210 "pages" worth of this thread, as well as the several other threads on this board and others, but the best "official" statement from the NHTSA I can find (and perhaps my google search technique is lacking?) is the one cited above. There's certainly been a lot of "noise" online (admittedly from justifiably pissed-off users), but the "official" data (for whatever its worth) as far as I can tell doesn't seem to lend itself to the level and degree of the hype/rhetoric.

then keep in mind, the failures just keep on coming after November 2010 also, and all through 2011, and now into 2012. There are no more 2009's being produced, they made what 45,000 of them, yet they keep failing, driving the percentage of failure rate up for that year, same for 2010... the percentage rate can only keep on going up, so the statistics and numbers are misleading, completely, in the study. All the cars are another 1.5 years older now, there have been more failures in the field.
Can you cite numbers and sources please? Where is data on "failures in the field" to be found?? Are these continuing failures not being reported to the NHSTA??? If one uses the NHTSA site's search function (http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/complaints/index.cfm) for, by way of example, 2010-VW-JETTA-FUEL SYSTEM, DIESEL, the search (currently) returns 47 reported complaints, but perhaps folks just aren't registering complaints with the NHTSA...???? (and, if so, why not?)

The statistics, the number of failures, and the percentage of failures to total cars produced that year can change daily, and they are like your age, they can only go up, up, up. Statistics are not static, they are dynamic, due to time and age... don't be fooled by statistics. The numbers NHTSA has summarized so far is for a very short time period window.
Look, I'm no VW apologist, nor am I some slavish fool to the numbers game (especially government numbers!) that statistics can represent, but I fail to see either where the NHTSA numbers are (bogusly) given for such a limited time slice as you claim or where there's a reliable and up-to-date source for what the total number of HPFP failures under the NHTSA investigation (again, the purported topic of this thread) actually is if not that reported by the NHTSA itself...

I for one would really like some clarity around this issue, but quantified clarity based on hard evidence and substantiated numbers, not heated rhetoric...

cheers,
-g

Last edited:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
The 321 pages of incidents being reffered to is the item by item listing on the NHTSA complaint page. It is all of the background details for each reported failure.

This is the link you should be looking at: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/defects/results.cfm

Look at the second entry for EA11033

There are 192 failure entries but the last one was entered in Feb of 2011.

Last edited:

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
replace with "new" OEM pump? brass frit filter?

I see that you can buy a new HPFP pump for about $1100. (eompartsvw, for example). Actually, now I see it just under $1000 elsewhere. but...

I have been thinking of just replacing the fuel pump at some point when I approach end of warantee- with the idea that new materials, and maybe a redesign might make its way into the OEM parts line. But that still does not protect the fuel system if the new one fails. Maybe some aftermarket company will jump in with a HPFP claiming "non-catastrophic failure".

Better...It would be nice to have some protection for things downstream of the HPFP like a big brass frit filter. It might need replacing periodically, but would be much less expensive than the HPFP. AND more importantly, you could relax and just replace the HPFP and filter when it fails. If VW does not want to make one, maybe aftermarket will step in. Seems like an opportunity. Anyone selling an effective form of protection for the fuel system from these pumps would be a real hero!

Last edited:

sgoldste01

Veteran Member
TDI
None; Replaced 2010 Golf TDI with 2012 Subaru Impreza 5-door with manual tranny
Man, I wouldn't spend that kind of money proactively. I'd rather see if the HPFP fails, and if it does, get into an argument w/ VW over pattern failures and whether or not they want me to be a repeat customer in the future.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
Man, I wouldn't spend that kind of money proactively. I'd rather see if the HPFP fails, and if it does, get into an argument w/ VW over pattern failures and whether or not they want me to be a repeat customer in the future.
I know. But I am thinking more along the lines of a long term solution... after warantee is long gone. There must be a way to protect downstream components. Maybe some smart TDI guru will design an inline big metal frit filter kit. I don't mind replacing a fuel pump (and filters). It is the catastrophic fuel system replacement that I want to avoid.

If an inline filter can't be added, maybe a new pump that fails without filling the system with metal flakes can be designed. That might be worth buying and installing before failure.

btw-nice united grey Golf

Schaub

TDI
none yet
Man this is driving me nuts. I was dead set on buying an 09, and absolutly love the car but I'm having a serious problem justifying the purchase if i could get stuck with an $8000+ repair bill. Especially when I live in illinois where B11 is pretty standard. I dont know near as much as you guys about this but from what ive gathered b5 is max recomended blend. So even if I bought an extended warrenty couldnt I still be screwed?

Are my concerns legitamit, or am I worrying too much?

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
There is, in the Midwest regional forum, a thread cataloging "safe" stations to fuel an in-warranty vehicle at. However, AFAIK, they're rather few and far between.

DasTeknoViking

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 TDi, A4 R32
I know 3 of my buddies who fill up wherever it says diesel w/o ever checking what diesel it is... Never use any additives either. Tell ya the truth I would do what they do too, not my fault the car takes stuff that's hard to find. Keep every receipt from a fill up where it says diesel on it and get a mechanical break down insurance or an extended warranty. 09 vs 06 : 09 is faster and more fun to drive where the 06 has cam issues and needs chip tuning to make it as fun to drive. IMHO package 2 06 is the ticket

scdevon

Veteran Member
TDI
None
So even if I bought an extended warrenty couldnt I still be screwed?
Yes. Extended warranty companies are in the business of NOT paying out money. An extended warranty company would stonewall you on a HPFP claim. They would blame fuel contamination and put you in a 3 way struggle with VW, the fuel station where you last bought fuel and your insurance company.

Just say "no" to these extended warranty scammers. A genuine VW extended warranty would be the safest bet if such a thing is available. Something that doesn't involve a third party AT ALL.

Second Turbo

Veteran Member
TDI
Extended Wishing

Schaub: > ... I live in Illinois where B11 is pretty standard.
> I don't know near as much as you guys about this but from
> what I've gathered b5 is max recommended blend. So even if
> I bought an extended warranty couldn't I still be screwed?

You might be at risk regardless of what you pour into it.

I'm still pondering what to do about my failing ALH, and just for the heck of it, configured a 2012 JSW TDI on vw.com, which resulted in emails from two regional dealers (even though I'd designated only one of them to do so :mad:)

I put some questions to them, paraphrased below. One of them completely ignored the HPFP topic, except to claim that their shop hadn't seen any failures. The other typed like a lawyer was breathing down his neck:

Q. What is the warranty?
A. 3yr/36k* bumper-to-bumper, 5yr/60k drive train.

Q. Is the HPFP covered under drive train?
A. No, but you could beg.

Q. What extended warranty is available?
A. 2yr (neglected to specify miles, if any apply)

Q. Does the EW cover the HPFP?
A. See the booklet (no link provided - I take that as a "no")

It strikes me as entirely possible that VW's final solution to the HPFP problem will be to stop selling TDIs in the US, and offer only the upcoming Jetta Hybrid to people who want 40+ mpg (and price the hybrids to cover VW's liability on the CRs already sold).

______
* I drive 24k per year, so I'd get only 18 months of assured HPFP coverage.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Actually, the newest generation of 1.8TFSI (which is replacing the 2.5 at least in Passats, and possibly in Golfs and Jettas as well) will get very close to the TDIs on highway mileage with a manual, while having 30 more horsepower, and just as much torque (available at LOWER RPM).

GTIDan

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Candy White Jetta, DSG
Drive more/worry less.
Don't let those 1 percent (the sky is falling, the sky is falling) stop you from your purchase. I suspect most of them are afraid to go outside for fear of an asteroid hitting them. Most things in life carry risks. :)

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If you think about it as a standard replacement item, the cost, although high, doesn't seem that out of line. Just add $1000 to your timing belt job.