Error code

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Yesterday I got a symbol in my instrument cluster, which according to the manual is emission related.
Hooked up my Vag-Com and got this message, what do I need to look at to fix this?

Thanks for any tips or help with this.

====================================

Address 01 -------------------------------------------------------
Controller: 038 906 012 FD
Component: 1,9l R4 EDC G500AG 4102
Coding: 00001
Shop #: WSC 00066
3VWSP29M62M126172 VWZ7Z0A4234931
1 Fault Found:
17057 - Cylinder 3 Glow Plug Circuit (Q12) Electrical Fault
P0673 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
Readiness: N/A

Link977

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Possible Symptoms

• No Pre-Glow Period
  • Poor Cold Starting
Possible Causes

• Glow Plug Wiring faulty
  • Glow Plug faulty
Possible Solutions

• Check Glow Plug Wiring
  • Check Glow Plug

TDIMAXIMA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2004 4motion Passat 5 speed 1.8t
Mine is acting up every tiem in rains. Somethign to do with berometric pressure. Mien has gone of twice in teh last 48 hours. Wait untill october to fix.

Link977

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
TDIMAXIMA said:
Mine is acting up every tiem in rains. Somethign to do with berometric pressure. Mien has gone of twice in teh last 48 hours. Wait untill october to fix.
You may kill your economy a little bit due to the bad glow plug.

TDIMAXIMA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2004 4motion Passat 5 speed 1.8t
how you figure link? I actually got teh best mileage in almost a year this week. Glow plug is only for startign teh car above 9 degrees.

Link977

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Ok, copy that.
here is what I read in the economy section.

why does AC affect fuel economy. same reason, your glowplugs draw extra current, which causes more resistance to be put on the altenator. Also, they run until the car is up to operating temps... one of the many reasons the car gets worse mileage cold. More fuel is being injected, I forget, but I think the timing is retarded during cold operation, the engine is actually more efficient when warm, glowplugs, colder oil means more friction... tons of things are affecting his mileage. The glowplugs would be the last of my worries though, the stutter at idle would scare the living crap out of me though. How far off does timing have to be for that to happen... how close are his valves and pistons getting to each other?

OmegaRenegade

Vendor
TDI
2004 Jetta
i dissagree one the engine is running glow plugs are off... thats the way i understand it... if its hot enough to cause combustion at the point the engine turns over it should be good after the plugs are off.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well now I know what I'll be trying to accomplish this Sunday. I'll print out Wingnuts info and see if I can follow it. That one bit about running to the front of the car where it allows you 15 - 20 seconds has me wondering a bit though.

As for starting, I see no difference. Turn the key and as soon as the light is off, almost instantly, start the engine. The cluster error light comes on after the engine runs for about 30 seconds.

Cold starting, again no problem. Just came back from Mexico at 87 degrees daily and here at home car is parked in the garage.

Driving I do not notice anything different whatsoever.

Thanks Link977, CmdrData and Bill (LNXGUY) for the assists.

craig01b

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
Hey Rudy, back from mexico huh??

Clean and reseat the harness....check the plugs if you have a meter handy...This is a common fault, and once the car is up to temp...will not afffect anything. This argument sounds like venting a fuel tank....ie ventectomy....

I changed my plugs after 5 winters....harness is original. Had one *spurious* message like yours, reseated everything, and no fault again. Annoying, not fatal.

Craig

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
craig01b said:
Hey Rudy, back from mexico huh??

Clean and reseat the harness....check the plugs if you have a meter handy...

Craig

Hi Craig
Yes back to this, for me still cold weather. If all goes well next season I'll be down there by the latter part of November.

OK, I did print out Wingnuts instructions, 'cause by the time I get outside I would have forgotten them. I guess I lucked out, just pulled the glow plug harness, read the values with my multi meter which was 1.6 - 1.7 for all plugs Then I sprayed electronic contact cleaner on the plugs and inside the connectors. Then I did something not in the instructions. Since I build, rebuild computers etc I have some special paste which goes between the CPU and a heat sink. It has great transfer abilities and also takes a lot of heat. I put a dab on each plug before re-attaching the harness.

Hooked up the Vag-Com and cleared the error code. After the engine ran for 30 seconds the code did not come back, which it did before. Then did a bit more checking around and took the car for a spin on the 401.
No more error code, what a relief. Even if it is nothing critical I do not like to have a malfunction showing unless it is a new one.

Thanks for pointing me into the right direction guys. I pitty the poor beggars who take it to a stealer for something like that, which took all of 45 minutes.

Last edited:

blaz

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat
The silver stuff would be electrically as well as heat conductive I guess, but I've seen some other stuff that I'm sure is'nt much of an electrical conductor.

craig01b

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
Well, nice to have you back Rudy. Happy to hear it cleared itself up.....silly messages....I wonder how much moeny has been made by the dealerships changing a pile of parts with this one?????

Craig

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
Hey Rudy,

What is that paste you used? I have been trying to find some for stubborn glow plug harnesses. I use a product called DeoxitD5 to clean the oxidation out of the harness terminals. But as a followup measure, I would like to add some conductive paste to each terminal too. I found some silver paste a while ago, but it was expensive stuff. By adding a conductive paste (as opposed to a dielectric), I think it would make a big difference for peoplr who have really bad harnesses. I think it could eliminate the need to change harnesses at all.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Nigel, the stuff I use is actually something used for increasing conductivity in temperature sensor wells installed in piping. It was/is made or sold by Johnson Controls and the part number is F-1000-182 and the name for it is" Thermal Conductive".
Comparing it to the gunk used on computer CPU's it appears to be the same product. Will let you know what I find out.
BTW I Googled Johnson Controls and can not find them in Canada anymore.
I am going to email my former partner at work to see if he still has contacts for them.

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
Wingnut said:
I use a product called DeoxitD5 to clean the oxidation out of the harness terminals. But as a followup measure, I would like to add some conductive paste to each terminal too.
I use De-ox for cleanup and followup - it prevents oxidation in addition to removing it. I got the idea when I was installing the hydro service at my cottage - code requires all exterior connections (e.g. in the meter box) to be coated with De-ox before and after assembly.

TheTDIWagonGuy said:
Is this stuff silver? I have some that I bought from Tiger Direct.
CPU heatsink compound is thermally conductive, but not necessarily electrically conductive - the white stuff doesn't conduct electricity at all. Silver heatsink compound does conduct electricity and might work in this application, but I am wary because it isn't designed for the job.

Simon

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
My paste is white, maybe the fact that I removed and sprayed contact cleaner on the plugs and inside the connectors did the trick.
All I know is that the code is gone.

Doc_Oc

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf TDI
The CPU stuff, as stated is not conductive. Protective measure for using too much and dripping in the CPU socket or on the MB anywhere. So, no good.

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
Jetta_Pilot said:
Yesterday I got a symbol in my instrument cluster, which according to the manual is emission related.
Hooked up my Vag-Com and got this message, what do I need to look at to fix this?

Thanks for any tips or help with this.

====================================

Address 01 -------------------------------------------------------
Controller: 038 906 012 FD
Component: 1,9l R4 EDC G500AG 4102
Coding: 00001
Shop #: WSC 00066
3VWSP29M62M126172 VWZ7Z0A4234931
1 Fault Found:
17057 - Cylinder 3 Glow Plug Circuit (Q12) Electrical Fault
P0673 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
Readiness: N/A
1. one roll of electrical tape.
2. scissors or knife.
3. cut 1/4" square of tape.
4. place over offending MIL lamp.
5. drink beer.

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
Yeah, I saw that. But its substantially more expensive then the carbon conductive grease, so I didn't bother mentioning it. Butr it would be a good product to use.