Oil Change service price? (Canada)

Karjar

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Touareg V6 TDI
So I had an oil change at 80,000 Klms. I have it done every 8000 klms (5000 miles) since I have been told that our prairie winters would be defined as extreme driving conditions so I shouldn't follow the 15,000 Klm VW normal recommendation. This is a 2010 Touareg TDI.

The cost of this service was $227!! Is this what others are experiencing from dealers? I have the VW extended warranty so have been going there for the service. Is there any issues with going to 3rd party Lube places?

They also "set" my tires to 33 psi front and 39 psi back. The door card says 39 front and 49 back? I know all dealerships can have issues, but I am really starting to wonder about this one. They even charged me (tried to) $49 to plug a tire from a screw stuck in it. KalTire does for free!

What are others experiences?
:mad:

Korey

TDI
2010 Touareg V6 TDI
I pay $120.00 US at Wolfs Auto Service here in Vegas, Great place.
Vegas heat is considered extreme conditions too, so every 6000 miles they suggest. I'd be trying to find a good independent shop that doesn't bend you over.. ;)

scrubber

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
my door card says 33/38. 49 seems high.
I think my dealer quoted me around $140 for just an oil change (and they plugged a tire @ no charge).
Sounds like you paid for the full 50k service, DEF fill, tire rotation, etc.

Last edited:

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
So I had an oil change at 80,000 Klms. I have it done every 8000 klms (5000 miles) since I have been told that our prairie winters would be defined as extreme driving conditions so I shouldn't follow the 15,000 Klm VW normal recommendation. This is a 2010 Touareg TDI.

The cost of this service was $227!! Is this what others are experiencing from dealers? I have the VW extended warranty so have been going there for the service. Is there any issues with going to 3rd party Lube places?

They also "set" my tires to 33 psi front and 39 psi back. The door card says 39 front and 49 back? I know all dealerships can have issues, but I am really starting to wonder about this one. They even charged me (tried to) $49 to plug a tire from a screw stuck in it. KalTire does for free!

What are others experiences?
:mad:
If your paying for service then you can go anywhere and your warranty CAN NOT be voided. If its offered free, you have to get it done there. Simple as that.

handweanie

TDI
2012 touareg tdi
I pay $120.00 US at Wolfs Auto Service here in Vegas, Great place.
Vegas heat is considered extreme conditions too, so every 6000 miles they suggest. I'd be trying to find a good independent shop that doesn't bend you over.. ;)
castrol professional with 507 rating is around $10 a liter. so at 8L you're talking almost $100 with filter and before service fee. so for $120 they're losing money unless they got a great price on oil.

door well should read 33f/38r but 38f/41r is what is recommended and what i've been getting from dealer unrequested

Last edited:

scrubber

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
castrol professional with 507 rating is around $10 a liter. so at 8L you're talking almost $100 with filter and before service fee. so for $120 they're losing money unless they got a great price on oil.
ya, I think I spent around $100-$105 to do it myself last time. crazy, huh?

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
No matter where a VW dealership is located, the local conditions will be considered severe.

Think about that for a moment.

After that has soaked in, take your car to someone who understands VWs and TDIs.

Bill

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon, 2004 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wagon
If your paying for service then you can go anywhere and your warranty CAN NOT be voided. If its offered free, you have to get it done there. Simple as that.
You can't void you warranty by not taking advantage of free service.

As long as you have it done and have a paper trail you should be OK.

Dirtracr95

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Sedan DSG
Im sure you signed your name at the bottom of the estimate authorizing the work. Did you not ask you service advisor about cost?

autdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 NB, 2003 NB, 2006 Touareg, 2015 Jetta, 2013 Beetle, 2013 Touareg
What exactly was in the 80k service? Oil and filter parts alone is $120. Add an air and fuel filter, cabin filter, you're pushing $200 easy just in consumables.

autdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 NB, 2003 NB, 2006 Touareg, 2015 Jetta, 2013 Beetle, 2013 Touareg

martiniwg

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta 6M - 2015 Golf 6M
Yup I pay 150 $ for the 15K km service, in Quebec. Found a guru in my area with the help of tdiclub, he charges me around 70-80$ -_- STEALERSHIP...
The 30K km service was 250$. The guru charges around 120-140$....

Try on finding a guru and if you keep your receipts and its clearly written the parts and oil they've used (guru garage) then it won't void your warranty. The parts and oil must be approved by VWCA (mann filter etc...)

Good luck buddy!

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
8L of oil isn't going to be cheap there's no way around that, (unless you hunt down sales and hoard oil by the case) and once you bill for an hours worth of work at a minimum, $200 isn't that crazy, plus they are disposing of the oil for free.

Of course you can do it cheaper but you willing to get dirty? and how valuable is your time?

You gotta pay to play with these larger displacement engines.

Summit

TDI
2009 Touareg TDI
Our local dealer offers buy 3 oil changes for 189$. That's a good deal. But. You need to have all three services completed in 18 months. We pull a camper all summer but don't drive too much in the winter. I just purchased this a month ago. Will change it in May and again in October next year. This is at Larry Miller VW lakewood co

d2305

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Ram EcoDiesel
The transmission fluid change is a little complicated, but the oil change is easy for the home gamer. One knows the right oil is used, and the plug isn't over touque.