First TDI - MKIV

mbatzel

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta
Last Friday I had off from work for the holiday and I used the time to get an alignment on the car after all the new parts up front

Then Saturday while pulling into the Target parking lot in Moorestown, NJ I stumbled on this gem...

I prayed to the car gods that the owner would come and out and wouldn't ya know it; wish granted :eek:

Him handing me the keys to start her up...

One happy guy enjoying the MP4-12C...

Talk about making a car guys DAY!!!! :cool: True acts of kindness like this rarely happen anymore and it is awesome to meet people like way

mbatzel

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta
Is that the best the alignment tech could have done on the front right camber ?
I was told that to adjust the camber, the whole subframe needed to be loosened and moved. It was a labor intensive job that i didn't have time or the cash for. Caster is something we supposedly can't adjust on these cars. I am still learning and if someone could tell me otherwise, i would love the corrected knowledge.

Remo

TDI
03' Jetta TDi
A cradle adjustment is a bit indirect approach since it can improve one side but it will make the other side worse.

There is aprox. 1/2 degree camber adjustment at the lower balljoint, basically you raise the car and loosen the 3 13mm bolts and push the bottom of the wheel in underneath the car in order to gain a little bit positive camber.

I have mine set to -1.0 up front (lowered also) and it doesn't eat up tires but I do chew the outer edges off due to living in the canyons and getting aggressive through turns, I have my toe set to 0. Rear on mine is a little out of whack on one side and I believe there are shims availible to bolt in between the hub but I'm not entirely concerned about it.

mbatzel

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta
A cradle adjustment is a bit indirect approach since it can improve one side but it will make the other side worse.

There is aprox. 1/2 degree camber adjustment at the lower balljoint, basically you raise the car and loosen the 3 13mm bolts and push the bottom of the wheel in underneath the car in order to gain a little bit positive camber.

I have mine set to -1.0 up front (lowered also) and it doesn't eat up tires but I do chew the outer edges off due to living in the canyons and getting aggressive through turns, I have my toe set to 0. Rear on mine is a little out of whack on one side and I believe there are shims availible to bolt in between the hub but I'm not entirely concerned about it.
I tried to score the control arm and put the ball joint back in the position it was. I guess the one before was off too. If I push the joint out slightly, would it affect anything else? The rest of the alignment would stay in check correct?

mbatzel

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta
Took on a second job back in Manayunk, PA with my old boss. Finally allowing me to address more of the issues an old car develops...

Placed an order with ECS last week for some parts...

Febi dogbone mount. Talked to a few people and they tell me a new one will really make a difference. I didn't want the poly upgraded ones as I have read that it translates to more vibration from the TDI -

Picked up this little gem after using a buddies. Makes life a lot easier when re-mounting the tires -

Always amazes me how dirty these get in 10k miles -

MANN -

Also picked up a new MANN fuel filter, MANN oil filter, case of Amsoil motor oil, new by-pass filter, and the small white bushing for the shift lever.

mbatzel

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta
Not TDI related but she drove me to all these places :cool:

Did the Jenkintown 5k on Tues night. WOW, hardest race I have run to date and I have done many 5k, 10k and even a few 10mi runs. The intense humidity didn't help either -

Not bad considering the hills and weather -

Nice way to wind down from the weekend with the lady. Sometimes Philly and the DE river have their moments of beauty -

mbatzel

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta
Had some time over the weekend to get the mount installed and change the oil out. Also pickup up myself a little gift for the TDI to clear the CEL and monitor her a little better...

Old Mount -

New Shinny Mount -

Changed out the By-Pass Filter for the first time. Really hoping to get the full benefits out of the system now that I have ran the first filter to clean the engine -

Little gift I bought her. Really happy that I went online and found it for 20% with free in-store pick up from Advanced Auto Parts. I haven't played with it too much other than clearing the CEL and changing the background color to match the blue of the other gauges -

mbatzel

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta
More stuff came in the mail last night. This has been on my list since day one and I FINALLY went for it.

New Lower Center Console -

What I have been dealing with. Really devalues the car in my eyes -

FordGuy100

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
Had that same thing happen to our previous TDI (04 Jetta auto), but on the other side. I ended up glueing it, but I agree with you, its an eyesore.

mbatzel

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta
Some things to update you guys on. Took Smokey on a trip with the girl down to Stone Harbor, NJ last week. Was amazing and much needed time away

Poser Shot -

Doesn't get much better -

On to some tech. Ever since I bought the car I wanted to get her tinted. After some research and over a year and a half later it finally happened yesterday. I have to say, if anyone in NJ is looking to get tint, there is only ONE place to go in my eyes; LEEBERBS in Hillsborough. On with the pics...

I knew I was in good hands with cars like this in the bays -

I was able to get a spin in this. Totally changed my view on electric cars and the future. A test drive is a must if you ever get the chance -

Wincos tint range. I went with 45% all around because of the laws in NJ -

Being fitted -

The master at work -

I really have to thank the lady for being patient with me while Lee worked on my car. I was there longer than intended but I think it was well worth it. His attention to detail is unmatched in my eye. I haven't been able to take a pic outside yet of the tint in day light but will in the next few days.

mbatzel

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta
Had some down time this weekend and I was able to tackle the lower center console. WOW does it change the look at feel of the car! No more broken interior parts and nearly everything is how I would like it to be. I have said it before and will say it again, its all about the details to me and having to look at the console broken was killing me.

It is a pretty easy to do. I found a write up on the TEX to help guide me. The hardest part was getting it back in without scratching anything or damaging the plastic clips...

Removed -

Nearly Installed -

All Done -

mbatzel

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta
Well this was unexpected and happened over the weekend coming home after my second job in Philly...

Exhaust Busted -

The whole system has seen better days -

Temp Fix. This is an all stainless clamp used for piping in NYC. The black smoke is from the past 2 days of driving on a busted system. This will hold me till I get in my new DP from BuzzKen

This is the DP I plan on getting in 2.5" I was going to get the 3" and put a reducer on it to mate to the 2.5" system already on the back half of the car but I am going to redo everything the right way

The Aero resonator the PO installed. I have no idea if it really is made by AERO but it is 6" round and has a 2.5" inlet and 3" outlet

I thought about ditching this and installing a Magnaflow exhaust but have no idea how they sound with the TDI. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

mbatzel

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta
You ever thought about aristos for your car? I think they would compliment it very well
I thought about it and love the look of them but really have my heart set on BBC RC's. The 18" Aristos look right at home on the Golf/GTI platform. I will swap these out someday but right now i have bigger fish to fry with the exhaust and wanting a skid plate...

mbatzel

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta
Well things have taken a wild turn today and I couldn't be happier.

Can't wait to get my hands on this bad boy -

WHITBREAD downpipe. Unused, never installed and extra long. I wasn't planning on spending the amount I did but sometimes it is worth it. The fact that only 8 were made this year and there is no telling when Matt will make them again I had to do it. Felt like a sin to say no and I am all about putting the best parts possible on my car. I really can't wait to get this in my hands and then on my car.

Serious updates coming within the next week. In lesser news, its time to do the rear brakes this weekend.

mbatzel

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta
Some things to update on. Rear brakes are done. Shortly there after I developed a vibe in the front shafts. I have been battling a torn boot all summer and it has finally caught up with me. I just can't tell which inner CV I need. They show two on boraparts.com. Left and right side. Both are different looking styles.

Old rear brakes -

Old vs New Pads -

Threw some 500* paint on the calipers to spruce them up a bit and match the fronts -

Completed -

Another issue that developed this weekend was the fans for the radiator decided to stop working. I noticed the SG II shot up to 190 in traffic causing me to run with the heat on full blast as I limped her home.

So begins the hunt for blown fuses, bad fans and thermostats :rolleyes:

KZL_05TDI

TDI
2005 Golf GLS TDI Manual
so, just read through all of your posts here, very awesome!!!

A) how do you like the exhaust?

B) I have a ScanGaugeII as well, what are your setting to make it work accurately with your car? (or is there a guide somewhere I'm missing?)

mbatzel

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta
so, just read through all of your posts here, very awesome!!!

A) how do you like the exhaust?

B) I have a ScanGaugeII as well, what are your setting to make it work accurately with your car? (or is there a guide somewhere I'm missing?)
Thanks! Means a lot. The exhaust was delivered yesterday and I have not had the chance to install it yet. I spent most of my time yesterday after work tearing apart the front end to do the CV's. Opun first inspection, it is a work of art and well worth the hefty price I paid. Couldn't be happier. REALLY sad that it has to be under the car and out of sight.

The SGII lets you set everything up in the beginning. I adjusted the speed via a GPS and all has been good. My buddy has a MKVI and it allows him to see more vitals than a MKIV. I am glad I had it as this is how I knew I had an overheating issue and discovered the fans not working. The temp gauge on the dash never moved.

Just a little of the detail of the exhaust. I will get more when I install it. I was focused elsewhere -

mbatzel

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta
Why does the weld on the flange have a break in it? Wouldn't it leak there?

Just like he mentioned. Fully welded on the inside for a smooth transition. I would get you a pic but it's on the car already

Updates coming shortly with pics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mbatzel

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta
Took off tues from work to spend a whole day working on the car. I have worked 28 day straight and needed the day to focus on all that needed to be done to her.

Old vs New DP -

I'm so happy I splurged on this -

I ordered mandrel bent 2.5" tubing from summitracing.com and fabbed my own exhaust from the DP back. This took a better part of the day to cut, weld, plan and match the factory routing. I ordered the pieces with slips on them for connection points so the system can come apart like factory as well -

All new mounts -

I will be finishing up the exhaust tonight after ordering more bends to go over the rear beam. I am not putting back on the muffler that is on there as it has holes in it. I'll be running a straight pipe for a while till I decided what to do. I am hoping it won't be as loud as it was when it was dumping under the car.

mbatzel

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta
I think the old flex pipe has seen better days -

I had bad CV vibrations and clicking when turning at sharp angles so I ordered up some RAXLES from Marty. Have to say, rather impressed. Haven't driven the car yet and I'll get into that in a minute but overall they look impressive. By the time you figure in shipping from boraparts.com on OEM grade inner and outer CV's and the time/mess of repairing the axles, it makes sense to pay Marty and wait 3days to get new axles. I had the triple squares needed to take the axle off but in case you don't, he provides them for you and all he asks is that you return them with your bad shaft -

RAXLES comparison shot of the 2004 vs 2002 axle -

Another issue that came up after last weekends brake job was this. The passenger rear caliper was hanging up and caused this to happen -

Ordered replacement parts for rockauto.com and they came in a few days. I am hoping that this does not happen again. I think my issue was from rushing the install of these brakes and the paint on the caliper / bracket. The pads basically dried in place :( and that is what you get when you rush things. I should have known better and will the the first to admit to my mistakes.

So I got the call all buttoned back up and went on to the last issue - the fans not working. Using the AC test, I hit the AC button and the fans came on! GREAT! Fans aren't the issue and I moved down the list. In the meantime, with the car still up on the jack-stands I thought it be best to check for exhaust leaks or issues with my custom exhaust install. Start her up, let her run, crawl under and everything is GREAT! Turn the car off to go back to checking for the overheating dilemma. Go inside for 10min and come back out to a puddle of rad fluid under the car :mad:.

Low and behold, the lower mounts are not securing the radiator (it was just flopping back and forth), the connection had pink scale on it and it was dripping at a rather fast pace. I took a vid but the snapbucket app doesn't let you upload vids off your iphone. Needless to say, I called up ECStuning.com and ordered up a new radiator, all new mounts, seals, couplings, fluids and the thermo-sensor. All this gets installed tomorrow morning once Fed-Ex drops it off. I will let you know how it goes...

Countryboy07

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta
Looks like you've been busy! If you don't mind, could you send me the list of parts you bought to complete the exhaust after the down pipe? The exhaust on my car is really starting to be not so great and was thinking of going the exact same route you are taking.

mbatzel

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta
Looks like you've been busy! If you don't mind, could you send me the list of parts you bought to complete the exhaust after the down pipe? The exhaust on my car is really starting to be not so great and was thinking of going the exact same route you are taking.
I used all the parts from summitracing.com.

90 degree bends - WLK-41441 (used 2)
45 degree bends - WLK-41437 (used 2)
Straight Pipe 4ft - SUM-640025 (I got this encase I would need extra)
Exhaust Clamps - autozone

I will take pics tonight for you as to how I used them and routed the exhaust

mbatzel

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta
This is how my weekend went. I wish this on no one. I have read the threads, done the research and installed radiators on other cars. VW came up the most messed up way of holding in the radiator possible. Yes it is "easy" but it is involved and you have to take your time. Nearly the whole front end has to come off and you have to remember where all the different torx and bolts go.

I love ECStuning.com and how fast I can get everything. I got everything new just in case. I wasn't messing around with parts that have 245K on them.

New radiator -

All new mounts, screws and sensor -

Fluids -

Completely apart -

You'll notice we are in the middle of building a 2 car garage and master bedroom above. The car couldn't be kind and wait till I had the slab poured and full garage back together. I hate working like this but it is what it is.

Car is all back together and fluids topped off. Rear caliper definitely is bad and not releasing so a new one is being installed today after work. I took the car for a short drive late last night down my back road to see if there were any issues and I could hear it dragging. I got the car up to temp finally and the fans didn't kick on. Tried the AC button like the thread says and last Tuesday they kicked on, this weekend nothing. Back to the drawing board and seeing what is the problem.

I have no idea how people run 2.5" exhaust with no resonator or anything. Man is it loud! I love the sound of a diesel but my lil 1.9 is no 7.3 on 37's. The turbo really sings with it however...

mbatzel

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta
Brakes

So the brake situation has been living hell. I have no other way to describe it. I replaced the passenger rear caliper and never ran the tank dry so I have no idea why I have mushy brakes still. I replaced both parking brake cables with new ones and adjusted them properly. I grabbed a VAGCOM cable off a buddy but I have a MAC and bootcamp is difficult to deal with.

I have been told that if you drive the car and slam on the brakes it activates the ABS and gets the air out.

My fans still don't run after the swap and I printed out DanG144's post on how to test the fans and will be preforming that tonight.

Have to say, not having my car for 2 weeks now is really getting to me and the money that I am spending on it, is well, getting old.

Are there any TDI'ers in the central NJ area that has been down this road and can lend advice or insight for me? I love my TDI but man it is not like working on a Jeep or American vehicle.

mbatzel

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta
Car is back up and running finally at 11:30pm EST. Lost a good 2 hours to setting up VAGCOM on a XP based computer. First the cable then the computer itself. Then uninstalling VCDS. Then reinstalling it and FINALLY it worked.

Was able to do the ABS purge and somehow had air in the front driver line. Nothing in the front passenger or rear driver. Few bubbles in the rear passenger but all is good now. Looks like good even wear on the new caliper and rotor. No dragging from the 10mi trip I took to add some fresh fuel to her.

Fans are still an issue. I tested them and they are operational when directly wired. This wasn't at the top of my list as it's mid 40's in the am here now and I don't mind running the heat to keep temps at bay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mbatzel

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta
Been awhile since I have stopped in to update here. Car was running great until the arctic cold of winter set in. I learned my lesson with buying brake cables from the auto parts store and not IDparts. Water got into the new lines and froze them shut. This caused me to have to leave the car at work, get a trailer and tow her home.

Loaded up and ready to go home -

I got the spring kit as well - just to be safe -

HD lines really are heavy duty -

I don't think this is supposed to be there -

Or this is supposed to be torn this bad -