Found a couple of TDIs, Good buy?

RowingMunkeyCU

TDI
Hopefully in the future...
Hey all,

So my '91 Buick Century finally bit the dust last night (head gasket, overheating, etc on the COLDEST night of the year)... and I've been interested in finding a TDI of some flavor.

I tracked down a couple of different ones, and was wondering if they sound like a good buy. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find one in my area, but I found a couple about 200 miles away (different directions) and both at dealerships

The first is a 1999.5 (from what I can tell, and according to a VIN decoder online) Jetta GLS with 101,000 miles. Selling for about $7,000. Built in Mexico.

The second is a 1999 Golf GL, 2 doors, with just over 75,000 miles. Also selling for about $7,000. Built in Germany.

At the moment, the price is towards my upper limit, so I'm not looking to spend a lot repair-wise (at least in the near future). And I figure I'll save a pretty penny on fuel (which is my main reason behind the TDI purchase).

Any recommendations?

Last edited:

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon

bbarbulo

Veteran Member
only thing I can tell you NEVER buy a used car at the upper limit of your budget. people don't put good cars up for sale, they put cars that have given them more problems than they can handle up for sale. so you're the guy who's gonna rid them of their problems. therefore, don't spend all your money, you'll need a good chunk of it to fix problems.

a timing belt alone costs like $800 to do, and everyone will tell you to get THAT changed immediately. and I would tell you to do things like brakes, tie rods, ball joints, good tires, prolly shocks too seeing as how they'll prolly be blown. and that's like another grand or so....

RowingMunkeyCU

TDI
Hopefully in the future...
bbarbulo said:
only thing I can tell you NEVER buy a used car at the upper limit of your budget. people don't put good cars up for sale, they put cars that have given them more problems than they can handle up for sale. so you're the guy who's gonna rid them of their problems. therefore, don't spend all your money, you'll need a good chunk of it to fix problems.

a timing belt alone costs like $800 to do, and everyone will tell you to get THAT changed immediately. and I would tell you to do things like brakes, tie rods, ball joints, good tires, prolly shocks too seeing as how they'll prolly be blown. and that's like another grand or so....
I definately appreciate the advice, making major purchases is a PITA... The Jetta comes with a 3 month/4,500 mile warantee. Would those sortof things be covered under that, or would that be something I would have to talk to the dealer about (my bet is on the latter)?

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
Expect to do the timing belt.
Expect to Change the oil.

Those are the two "minimums"