Changing Transmission Fluid 2004 Jetta Tiptronic

path001

Hello all.

I have a 2004 Jetta TDI Tiptronic. My Engine is a 1.9L Turbo Diesel.

I am trying to figure out how to do a routeen servicing on the transmission fluid.

I found the fluid I need on TDIparts.com. If someone would please verify that http://www.tdiparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=76&products_id=465 is the proper fluid.

Also, from the looks of things, there is a drain plug underneath the car, but it doesn't seem like there is a dip-stick on the top or any other access point to pour the new fluid in. How does one get the new fluid into the transmission?

Also, can someone please verify that the filter does not get changed.

Thank you. Pat Held

DRbillZ

Veteran Member
TDI
New Beetle, Jetta, one totaled Passat....RIP.
You might want to check in the A4 Jetta Forum. Check up 3 Forums. It is in BLUE. I know it is hard to see because of the color difference because I miss it myslef all the time when I want to check on things for my 2000 NB.

Last edited:

scknight

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI 6MT
Pat,
a couple of categories up from the A5 forum (that this is posted in), you will see a blue bar with A4 info in it, go to the maintenance part and ask the same question there. The A5 or MKV model refers to body style, you have the A4 or MK IV so you should ask in the forum of the car you have the question about-so you get the right answer.

Good luck.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Forget "model names" (i.e. Audi A4) and think "vehicle platforms".

"A" = VW Golf and all its related models and derivatives, including Jetta.
"4" = Fourth generation of the platform in question.

A1 = VW Rabbit (and Jetta and Scirocco) 1975-1984.
A2 = VW Golf (and Jetta) 1985-1992.
A3 = VW Golf (and Jetta and first Audi A3) 1993 - early 1999 in North America.
A4 = VW Golf (and Jetta and New Beetle and Audi TT and a bunch more) late 1999 to early 2006 for the Golf itself in North America, although New Beetle started 1998 and continues until today as an A4-platform vehicle.
A5 = VW Golf in Europe from 2005 and Jetta in North America from 2005.5 onward.

Understand now? Yours is an A4 platform vehicle, and therefore this post should really be in the A4 section.

However, I'll address your question anyway. The automatic transmission on that car is designed to be lubed-for-life. There is no scheduled fluid or filter change interval. If you want to change the fluid anyway, you have already identified the drain plug. There is NO dipstick. The fluid level is set at a plug on the side of the case, similar to how it is on a manual transmission or rear end. BUT ... DO NOT do this without following the procedure in the shop manual to the letter, and that procedure includes using the VW diagnostic tool (VAG-COM will do) to check certain settings and functions.

If you don't have the shop manual and don't have VAG-COM, either DON'T TOUCH IT, or get those items, or get the dealer to do it.