What did you do to your MK7 today?

JeffsSportWagen

Usually between the Florida Gulf Coast & Treasure
TDI
2015 Golf SportWagen S TDI/dsg
Night blue metallic is a beautiful color. I ended up with a white car because that's what our dealer had with a manual transmission (never titled, not bought back). And after 16 years of driving an Indigo Blue car I was ready for a change. However, I've seen a few night blue cars since and wish there had been one available. I like what you've done.
Just noticed your signature noting you as a Principle of idparts... my first order from idparts (DSG service kit) arrived on Tuesday. I had seen idparts mentioned on here and on the vortex. Thanks for your contributions here and great deals!

STOKTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf MK7 TDI
Tried to install my Polar FIS last night. Found out that in Kerma's shipment, some were missing the cable that goes from the FIS to the factory plug in. They sent it out first thing today so no big deal, stuff happens. Just a warning to anyone who has ordered it, may take a couple extra days to receive it.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
post a video and impressions of it once you get it.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Just noticed your signature noting you as a Principle of idparts... my first order from idparts (DSG service kit) arrived on Tuesday. I had seen idparts mentioned on here and on the vortex. Thanks for your contributions here and great deals!
Thanks for the order! We sell diesel parts because we own and drive diesels (I have six :eek:) and are excited that VW is now reselling the bought back cars. We expect that most purchasers will be enthusiasts, more like it was in the MKIV days.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Anyone feel comfortable rolling up to 130k on a rubber timing belt?

It costs the same to do it sooner, I don't understand the risk involved on a belt that can go bad without even using it?

Just be cause the X is in the 130k column further to the right doesn't mean the quality or dependability is the same or increased....

Dry rot anyone?

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Belts usually aren't the problem it's the rollers and other things the belt rides on that could go out. If the engine loses timing, best bet you're looking for a new head as its an "interference engine" (valves contact pistons and something smashes).

Age of the belt probably only is an issue if it's getting over 10 years, hopefully a TDI owner is racking up the miles before dry rot is an issue (even for those NOS that sat for a couple years).

With that being said, it's a preventative maintenance, there probably have been countless owners that never even thought about the TB and put on +200K without issues.

I had my 2010 replaced at 120K (was the spec) and kinda wish I had saved the $1100 as it was bought back and crushed by VW with about 140K a year and half later, I guess I slept a little better with the new TB though.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I wouldn't go much past 6 years on the belt system regardless of mileage. Since my GSW is already 3 years old and has a whopping 9K miles on it, I don't think I'll get to 130K before it's 6 years old. I'll just replace it at some convenient interval in 2020 or 2021.

My B4 got its belt about 6 years ago and is only 35K into its 60K interval. I'll probably replace it soon.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
My 09 had cracks in it replaced it in 2014. Factory belt 5, years old, 210k miles.

I plan on doing mine somewhere in 80-100 miles.

Few hundred dollars, several few thousand saved.

Last edited:

AGOODHI

Veteran Member
TDI
MKVII GSW, MKVI Golf
I'm ultimately going for a DIY GTD (since we don't get them on this side of the pond.) I re-purposed the extra "G" I had from when I de-badged "Golf" and added it in front of the TDI badge and then removed the "I" for my very own DIY GTD badge.

time to look for some nogaro rims ;)

fdizz

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf 6MT
Finally decided to sell my 2010 with 250k back to vw and turned right around and picked up a 2015 golf lol. Love it! Had it about a month and had to mod it a bit so it'd have the same get up my deleted 2010 had [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
you deleting or just tune? Didn't think Kerma did deletes, thought it was only Malone.

Not that deleting anything is allowed in the US, just mexico you know.

fdizz

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf 6MT
I just did their stage 1 tune, I didn't wanna mess with any of the emissions stuff this time around. The car feels to have the same get up and go as my deleted 2010, so I'm happy

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

ssffnomad

Veteran Member
TDI
2015, GSW, S, TDI, 6MT. 5/2017
5 am, 330 mile round trip to Hartford Conn. Got within 2 miles from home. Received a #3 stone in Windshield from Dump Truck going opposite direction. Missed the hood.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
5 am, 330 mile round trip to Hartford Conn. Got within 2 miles from home. Received a #3 stone in Windshield from Dump Truck going opposite direction. Missed the hood.
Do you have comprehensive glass coverage?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I have had 3 in my Beetle windshield since I got it new last year. GEICO fixes them for free at Safelite. They have done good work on them. One repair slightly visible and the other two you have to really search for. I didn't want them pulling the windshield just yet if I didn't have to.

goes2fast

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GolfS, GTI 18s, H&R springs, Stage 2
Coverage yes. No fixing a spot size of hand.
That is why I have $0 deductible on my glass, only a couple of bucks more per month, but worth it. I used to lose a windshield every winter, now that I have the zero deductible only had to replace one in 3 winters.

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
I'm also in an area of high windshield attacks. So far I've repaired the chips, at my cost, to avoid replacing the entire windshield. It seems a car is seldom the same after windshield replacement. Have any of you replaced one with the integral automatic wipers? Do they still work well? My auto wipers work like a charm and I don't want to jeopardize that.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Meguire ultimate!!

Found a new bottle on the side of the road! I did it all! Dash, seats, trim...

Even wiped down the weather tech mats!

Took a before and after of door. Not sure how good it'll turn out.

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
Meguire ultimate!!

Found a new bottle on the side of the road! I did it all! Dash, seats, trim...

Even wiped down the weather tech mats!

Took a before and after of door. Not sure how good it'll turn out.

Those Weathertechs look real good in there. Any fitment issues?

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
Is Meguiar Ultimate similar to ArmorAll cleaner, or ArmorAll conditioner? No offense if it's in a different realm - I seriously do not know.

garreth5

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta
I just ordered a Magnaflow from 4wheelonline. I chose it because I'm not a fan of loud sounding exhausts.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
The Magnaflow with no resonator on my ALH Jetta sounds worse than the straight pipe with one resonator on my '15 Golf [emoji51]

If you are keeping DPF and CAT in place, I highly recommend just a straight pipe all the way. I had my exhaust guy so a double exit through a GTI valence and it's very civil sounding.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
Where does the pipe connect? At the exhaust flap? Pictures? We have a Buzz-Ken system on our '01 Golf with a cat to keep it legal and one resonator, and it sounds great.

The Magnaflow with no resonator on my ALH Jetta sounds worse than the straight pipe with one resonator on my '15 Golf [emoji51]

If you are keeping DPF and CAT in place, I highly recommend just a straight pipe all the way. I had my exhaust guy so a double exit through a GTI valence and it's very civil sounding.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
I'm guessing the magnaflow that garreth5 ordered is simply a replacement muffler, which will not change much in the sound department if all emissions equipment is in place. I'm not aware of many cat-back systems for our axle-beam TDIs (maybe buzzken?). When I had my dual exit done, was immediately after installing the buzzken with resonator. The stock pipe going over the rear beam is still in place (exhaust flap is gone), it was simply cut and added on after it came back down over the beam. The stock muffler fortunately uses all the exhaust hangers available under the car, so there are plenty of places to hang the second outlet.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
So, you've done a full DPF/CAT delete then? For off-road use only, of course...:D

I'm guessing the magnaflow that garreth5 ordered is simply a replacement muffler, which will not change much in the sound department if all emissions equipment is in place. I'm not aware of many cat-back systems for our axle-beam TDIs (maybe buzzken?). When I had my dual exit done, was immediately after installing the buzzken with resonator. The stock pipe going over the rear beam is still in place (exhaust flap is gone), it was simply cut and added on after it came back down over the beam. The stock muffler fortunately uses all the exhaust hangers available under the car, so there are plenty of places to hang the second outlet.