in dash receiver wiring? & 04 factory deck 4 sale

SUNRG

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None currently. Previously owned 04 Golf TDI & 05 Passat GLS Wagon TDI
I had a Kenwood KDC-X579 in-dash receiver installed yesterday in my 04 Golf TDI, but the guy wired it so the key has to be turned all the way forward to the "run" position for deck to get power.
In this key position the glow plugs burn and other things come on that I don't want to when I just want to sit in my car and listen to tunes. The factory deck did not need the key to be turned to this position to power up. Can anyone explain where a upgrade receiver should get its power?

Thanks for your help! And by the way, the sound improvement over stock is unbelievable! stock is pretty good but this kenwood is fantastic, and it looks great with the blk/gry 04 Golf interior too

i'm selling the factory deck for $100 shipped too.

dieselgus

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Variant Black/Black
Ignition wiring harness, in column, brown/red stripe. Then radio functions as factory (on until key removed)

Gus

SUNRG

Top Post Dawg
TDI
GUS! Thank you!

I'm so glad this can be done. I posed the same question in two vortex forums and the two replies I've received so far both indicated that I may have to live with it the way it is

I'm going to copy your post to both vortex threads. You have very likely just improved the listening experience of many VW drivers.

Thanks again!

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
In an '04, I'm not sure. The powerup/powerdown functions come through the CAN bus.

It will work fine on older cars (pre-'02) when connected to the ignition post on the bottom of the relay panel up under the dash (75). You might try it and see what happens. My kenwood will continue to function as long as the key is in it, which requires me to turn the key to on, then off and keep it there.

SUNRG

Top Post Dawg
TDI
weedeater - the way your kenwood functions is what i'm hoping for. it would be amazing if the receiver could also power-up without the key, like the stock Premium 6, but i'm guessing that would not be easily achieved. i almost wrote "not possible", but everything is possible...

heck i may as well just ask - does anyone know how an aftermarket replacement for a premium 6 could be wired so it functions like weedeater's:

My kenwood will continue to function as long as the key is in it, which requires me to turn the key to on, then off and keep it there.
and also power-up without the key by pressing the receiver's power button?