Potential Jetta TDI owner has questions

wyrm

Hi everyone! WOW! There is a ton of info on this site, my brain is overloading.

I'm thinking of buying a 2000 Jetta GLS TDI. It's automatic, has almost 91,000 kms on it, body is good (no paint chips, scratches etc.), typical options. It's at a dealer and is a CPO VW.

My main questions are:
1) maintenance cost in my area for timing belt, brakes, oil changes and the different schedules for manual vs. auto transmissions.
2) reliability. Dealer said it wasn't uncommon to get over 600,000 kms on this kind of car, with just regular servicing.
3) anything else I should know or be on the look-out for.

I'd appreciate your input. I want this car, but the wife wants a Saturn LW300, because it's roomier and cheaper. I need numbers to plead my case.

Thanks!

Dale.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
wyrm said:

I'm thinking of buying a 2000 Jetta GLS TDI. It's automatic, has almost 91,000 kms on it, body is good (no paint chips, scratches etc.), typical options. It's at a dealer and is a CPO VW.

My main questions are:
1) maintenance cost in my area for timing belt, brakes, oil changes and the different schedules for manual vs. auto transmissions.
2) reliability. Dealer said it wasn't uncommon to get over 600,000 kms on this kind of car, with just regular servicing.
3) anything else I should know or be on the look-out for.

I'd appreciate your input. I want this car, but the wife wants a Saturn LW300, because it's roomier and cheaper. I need numbers to plead my case.
Dale, if you're not doing basic maintainence yourself, these TDis are not cheap to keep around unless you drive a huge number of kms per month where higher maintainence costs might be offset by un-heard of fuel economy.

The 600km claim might be...errrr, optomistic...particularly on a car with auto trans.

A car that's had TLC +++ may make it that far but the average car is not likely to..especially in the rust belt. Don't be fooled. I don't know that the Saturn is likely to be any better.

If the dealer can't provide you with written proof of services incl. oil changes and timing belt change, I may pass on this particular car.

Reality: There are no longer cars available that are "cheap" to maintain thru 600kms. How long do you typically keep a car in your family?

I'm sorry I can't help build a stronger case but you should have concrete expectations...Saturn or VW TDi.

marshalgene

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Silver
I just bought a used 1999.5 Jetta TDI with 106,000 miles on it. I have put $500 into a new timing belt, oil filter and Delvac 1 oil, Cat fuel filter, Pierburg MAF, and air and pollen filters. The car runs like new. With careful maintenance, the car should easily last to 250,000 miles and more. With the help of this forum, and a little hands-on, you can easily avoid the expensive maintenance costs on your Jetta. There is no way I would ever take a Saturn instead. Every time I get 600 miles on a 14 gallon fillup, it still amazes me. I much prefer belonging to the private TDI club.

fhryder

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS TDI (tornado red)
Hi:

My son has a 90 jetta diesel 5sp with 520k on it,
last January had to do the first work on the engine, a head gasket.

Based on his experience I just got a 2k2 Golf TDI 5sp.
boy does it work great.

Frank

blugg

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 99.5, black
Lady in town has a 99.5 Golf TDI with 150K miles on it. She changes the timing belt, oil and filters when called for, has never had a breakdown/repair problem, although she may have done a MAF once. This is rural desert road country. No rust but lots of dust.