So how are the koni str.t's working out long term for people?

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
I'm currently dropped 35mm with the original shocks and am looking into shocks at the moment. I've seen some old threads regarding the str.t's and was just wondering how they're doing now after being on the car for a while. Any info would be good or even suggestions on other shocks around a similar price point.

Cheers

K.I.T.T.

Veteran Member
TDI
PD75
I've heard they're the dog's bollocks. Would love a set with some EIbach springs on the Polo, but they're a bit too rich for my blood. Might just get some Sachs / Boge OEM replacements.

Ash :)

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You slacker, got to get the rest of the car up to match the tuning of the engine man. The springs are good, got rear axle bushes still to fit, the rear skips around a little which is a fairly classic symptom of old bushes. Shocks will help all round though to stiffen things up but I want to make sure the car's going to stay comfy and not get all crashy.

99.5GOlf

TDI
1999.5 Golf
I've had the whole set for ~4 months. No complaints so far. Even though they're a rough riding ***** for awhile.
Added- I have have the Koni Blue Springs. Roughly ~1in drop from stock.
They're cheap (price), but I dont expect much longevity out of them.

Keyser-Soze

TDI
Golf Mk4 AGR
Hi Seatman, another uk-mkivs member, didn't know you were on here too!

I've had them installed for a couple of years now & had no problems what so ever.

Yes they are a bit rough when 1st installed, but once they settle in they're not too bad. Handling is a big improvement over stock shocks.

Bandz7

TDI
2003 Jetta
Hate to bring this thread back from the dead, but I'm looking into buying a set of STR.T's for my 03. I plan to use the stock springs. What does everyone think? Would you still recommend them after 2 years???

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
I've had them on my Golf for just under three years, apx 50,000 miles. They are still doing well. The orange paint is slowly flaking off, which is apparently a cause of major angst for some owners. I should have clear coated them when I had the chance, but didn't. They don't see overly rusty or otherwise problematic due to loss of paint. They do not handle poor roads as well as OE, but are not too harsh, and provide decent feedback and control when cornering. I did a full suspension refresh at the same time, which helped immensely. Next time I'll likely try something different, just to compare.

fruitcakesa

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 jetta 5 spd wagon
About a year on them and the paint is pretty much toast but the ride is firm and predictable. I like them.

chaoscreature

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Special Edition
I have them on my MK5 TDI. I am not impressed with them at all. They feel underdamped compared to my 65k mile OEM shocks that they replaced. I bought them a few years back when they first came out, so maybe they have changed the damping since then. If they have changed the valving I should call and ask for a new set because mine suck.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'm now on the eibach pro kit at a 30mm drop, Bilstein B4 sports shocks but I think they're a little bit soft for the springs. A friend has the koni fsd's and his car feels nicer but then they are expensive by comparison so I'll just have to put up with it.

duwem

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI 5 Speed
I remove that garbage orange paint, primed and painted mine black.

Fixed 2 problems: crappy paint and ricer colored aftermarket parts.

Joester

Vendor
TDI
2002 Golf TDI
Save your money and buck up for some Bilsteins.

They are better in every way.

I am speaking from experience.

drewkeen

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
I would have Bilstein HDs on my car over the STR Konis, but they won't work with the lift kit I have.

I'm happy with mine currently with 20k miles on them. Still too soon for long term data.

jonferns

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf
I've got about 20k on mine, installed them last summer so not much in terms of long-term experience with them, but good so far. Have them installed with Moog VR6 springs for some lift, and 10mm lift spacers in front. They are firm, but not harsh. Paint was good up until this winter, not so much anymore

theomarakas

TDI
2013 JSW
Koni str

I have the KONI STR, I've put 75 miles on my Sportwagen and I can say that the front are absolutely JUNK. The rear are fine, they took away the bounce but the front.....is a different story. They are a little stiff but they go fine over bumps but when it comes to long sweeping turns the car feels very unbalanced. My car has 18k miles and put them in as an upgrade but I'm regretting every minute of it. I'm almost tempted to put back the original fronts.
Once upon the time I had a SAAB 900 1985 and I put the KONI. They were ****. I have no idea what made me buy them again. I should have bought the Bilsteins that I've used on every car for the last 30 years.
I have no idea how people on the forum and customer reviews rate them so happy. That's what made me buy them, I should have known better.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I just purchased the "Beef on a Budget" Koni STR.T dampers with the MOOG VR6 front springs and the Jetta Wagon rear springs. My rear springs have been factory changed already and I have not put the new, taller, rear springs yet. I have three or so thousand miles on the rear dampers, and they are slightly stiffer than the "stock" dampers they replaced. I just got the front struts, springs, and all new hardware installed and they are definitely stiffer than the ones that they replaced. I only have 100 or so miles on the front install, and my rear height is 26-15/15" to the wheel well and the front is 27-1/2" to the center of the wheel well. I have read the front springs will settle 1/2" or so and that will leave the car pretty much level with the stock rear springs. Every time I drive over a filled road crack, I hear it and feel it in the cabin so I am hoping the front dampers soften a bit very soon. As for the rear springs, I will wait until I am ready to attach a trailer to swap them out at that time. I am really not a fan of the "raked" look, so the long springs will come out after I disconnect the trailer and return the stock rear springs back in.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Keep in mind that the front wheel cutout is taller than the rear. If you measure at the rocker panel you may find the front is lower than the rear, or that the car is level.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Thank you IBW, I had not thought of that. I forgot the front measurement I took a couple of months ago, but there is definitely more space above the tire than there was before; the car almost appears to be a bit front proud, but I will measure the rocker heights after work.