Y'all might be bad luck...

siznana

TDI
2004 Jetta GL TDi manual transmission, dark blue
Not only does the brake light switch go, but my door lock cylinder is falling out! What did y'all do?!

No, I'm kidding, but seriously, I need some help here. The driver's side door lock cylinder is totally loose. I can just pull it out. I noticed it when getting into the car; it was sticking out a half inch from its mount. I see in the Bentley on page 57-5 and 57-6 there are some directions for removing/installing the cylinder housing. I believe that I popped off the correct cover and tightened the correct screw (with the T20), but the cylinder is still loose and able to fall out. The lock function is unaffected - both the remote and key still work when the cylinder is pushed back into place. Any thoughts?

mrchill

TDIClub Enthusiast, Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vend
MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x
TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver
If you tightened the hidden screw, and it is still loose, the cam lock fell off. The only way to fix that is to take it apart and reassemble. Make certain first that the screw is tight (righty tighty) with the cylinder fully seated.

siznana

TDI
2004 Jetta GL TDi manual transmission, dark blue
Thanks Chill, I'll retry. Maybe I was doing the one for the door, not the lock. What is the cam lock? I don't see it labeled in the lock diagram in the book.

J double R - I hope I'll fix it myself before then!

Varkias

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Golf TDI
Yeah, these guys are really bad luck. I'd avoid hanging out with them if you can. ;)

On another note, I spent some time with my own car after you were talking about your clutch. Guess what? Mine feels the same as yours. And my clutch has less than 10k on it. I think you are all good, that shudder at the top is just normal.