Can't find TDC mark on flywheel

quartersaw

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon, '96 B4V,'99 2 door Golf
....I've had a hard starting issue on my '99 NB ever since I purchased it a few months back.
With the help of many people in this forum,I've eliminated all of the possibilities except incorrect cam/crank timing,and compression. I purchased the cam lock,and spanner wrench from Metalnerd and I figured it should be a fairly cut and dry correction of the timing if that indeed is the problem(The P.O. used the 'mark and pray'timing belt installation method)
I locked the cam with #1 lobes up and cannot find the flywheel mark.I failed in my first attempt at this after I had
*already loosened the camshaft*
and moved the flywheel one tooth at a time in an attempt to find TDC.
I was lucky to be in the ballpark getting close to the flywheel's original position and I was able to restart the engine without incident .(whew!)
Today,I decided to move the flywheel one tooth at a time before disassembling anything,and I swear that I cannot find a TDC mark on this engine! Did VW used different timing marks on the A4 platform? I was using the 'Club' PDF as a guide and I haven't seen anything that remotely resembles the 'line through a circle' timing mark.
I'm starting to think that this flywheel was installed incorrectly and the mark is 90º off or more.
..Any suggestions other than inspecting the entire flywheel to see if I can find any hint of a TDC mark???

ToolNut

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta GLS, '11 SportWagen
Is your car an manual or automatic? The marks differ for each. Drivbiwire's TB pdf shows images of both, but the manual tranny version is several pages later (I believe it's page 88 --I just did my wife's timing belt!). The 5-sp has a "notch" mark adjacent to the ring gear on the flywheel, rather than a line/circle. It's not as obvious.

Paul

quartersaw

Veteran Member
TDI
ToolNut said:
Is your car an manual or automatic? The marks differ for each. Drivbiwire's TB pdf shows images of both, but the manual tranny version is several pages later (I believe it's page 88 --I just did my wife's timing belt!). The 5-sp has a "notch" mark adjacent to the ring gear on the flywheel, rather than a line/circle. It's not as obvious.

Paul
I *think* that I found it.I was looking at the A3/B4 timing belt instructions and the timing mark looked like my 5 speed tranny notch. it was very tough to see thanks to the coolant hose blocking the view of the bell housing window.
The car's hard start problem did not improve after the timing reset.I've got a compression tester on order and I'll see what a compression test reveals about this situation.I'm a little bit nervous that there could be lifter,and/or valve damage.I didn't hear any metallic noises,so maybe I'm O.K. I should have more answers by next week....

quartersaw

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks! it is very helpful to know this.It is close to impossible to view the bell housing window in the New Beetle.

runonbeer said:
alternate TDC mark on harmonic balancer and lower metal timing belt cover (highlighted with white paint)