Jetta tdi chip/tuning box experiences

ipainton

TDI
01 Jetta TDI
Hey
Looking for some that has chipped or has a tuning box that cost no more then 300 and your experiences
I drive a 01 jetta tdi
Wanting to try one or the other
Please mention brand names
Thank you

Joe TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
03, 00, 04 MK4 sedans.... 02 MK4 Wagon
Welcome....

I had a VanAaken Smartbox for 6 months.... It added a noticeable bit of power.... My car in particular would throw engine codes and sometimes the power box wouldn't work at all.... there are far better tuning boxes out there.

I got Bosio Sprint 520 injector nozzles along with the power box and the power was pretty good, but very very smokey...

All a power box will add is 20hp or so.... in my opinion, you are better off with just a quality injector nozzle upgrade that will also get you 20hp and more torque than the power box... cheaper than any powerbox or chip tuning...

Sprint 520's are cheap.... $220 or so brand new.... go to www.tdiparts.com and search for Sprint 520....

If you don't know how to install the injector nozzles yourself, you can search these forums for a trusted TDI mechanic in your area.... you'll pay $50 or so to have them installed...

As far as chip tuning, there are many options out there... I personally use RocketChip tuning... www.rocketchip.com

Joe

bluesmoker

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 pd 5 speed tip
I have never experienced any problems with either my van aaken box or my diesel tuning box, both are excellent

you can get a new (old stock) van aaken box for less than 200 on ebay, this is where i purchased the one fitted on my 98 tid

http://cgi.ebay.ca/6-010902-Accel-Van-Aaken-smart-box-for-00-03-VW-TDI_W0QQitemZ120399143263QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item120399143263&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1215%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

you will want to purchase the 10 pin module

Keebler145

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta MKIV 2000, 2003, and MKV 2006 PD DSG
I too ran the van aaken box and still have it, I'd sell it to you for 75 bucks plus shipping and handling =) I never had a problem with it but I got the mod bug and needed special tuning for the hardware I had lol

whatnxt

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Q5 TDI Premium +
I have run the diesel tuning box and then a tune. Both work. Box is simple p-n-p. Good power. Only limp mode twice. I didn't take logs so I don't know about boost or boost creep.

The tune was smoother power. Boost creep (due to taking loggings) was an issue. Fuel economy was the same.

If you purchase new, I would go with a tune for upgradability for future mods. If you can get a used TB for $250 or less; simple good upgrade if that is as far as you want to go.

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
Get a set of nozzles, best bang for your buck upgrade... And between a 'tuning box' and chip, the chip is the easy choice.

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
Of course which transmission and miles o the car. These are important questions.

There is not one item that fills all bills. More power costs and for you if its an auto it will cost. A 5 speed perhaps a new clutch.

Scott_Greer

Veteran Member
TDI
06 A5 5 Speed
Interesting topic. I had considered creating the same question as well.

What I have gotten so far is that the best bang for the buck is a set of injectors. The link above seems to be broken. Can anyone recommend some good injectors? Or post a good link?

Also, if chip>box, what chips are best for a standard chip? Nothing extreme or custom.

These questions assuming an 06 5 speed TDI Jetta.

Last edited:

mz1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 GTD Stage III / 2015 Touareg TDI LUX Stage II
For anybody that wants quick inexpensive easy to intall power, get a van aken power box, I had it for 3 moths with no complaints at all, noticeable power and easy to install and desintall, if you ever get tired of it, re-sell and if you sell the car you can keep it....just my 5 cents...