iPhone 3GS and Bluetooth Streaming

jeremy1701

TDI
2010 Jetta, 2002 Bettle
Hello,
I have an iPhone 3GS and a 2010 TDI Jetta. I do not have NAV. Both the phone and the car indicate that streaming over A2DP should be possible. I can pair my phone for talking no problem, but I can't seem to play audio. Has anyone successfully done this? Any ideas on how to do this or where to start?
Regards,
Jeremy

Last edited:

arrzilla

TDI
2009 Candy White Jetta Sedan.

milleraw

TDI
2010 JSW Silver, Portos, Roof / 2010 JSW Candy White
I am disappointed with the setup in my JSW. I ordered the ipod kit with the car thinking it would be the ultimate iphone setup. It is more annoying than anything. Very slow reacting on the ipod connection. A2DP is constantly asking me if I want to turn "bluetooth audio" on. Every time I get an email or something else happens on the phone that would require an audible response the radio asks this question.

jeremy1701

TDI
2010 Jetta, 2002 Bettle
So you *can* stream audio over bluetooth? I haven't even gotten that far. I ordered the MDI from the dealer, it should be in soon. I'll keep you posted on my results.

eggspoogas

TDI
2010 Jetta
Yes, I have an iPhone 3gs and my Bluetooth phone works as well as the streaming. Once it pairs I go to my music and start playing. But of course hitting the bt audio button as well on the radio. Also make sure that the little bt icon it lit up on your phone, not on the top bar but on the iPod section. If it isn't hit that and choose the vw bluetooth.

jeremy1701

TDI
2010 Jetta, 2002 Bettle
eggspoogas said:
Yes, I have an iPhone 3gs and my Bluetooth phone works as well as the streaming. Once it pairs I go to my music and start playing. But of course hitting the bt audio button as well on the radio. Also make sure that the little bt icon it lit up on your phone, not on the top bar but on the iPod section. If it isn't hit that and choose the vw bluetooth.
eggspoogas - you have a Jetta Sedan or wagon?

milleraw

TDI
2010 JSW Silver, Portos, Roof / 2010 JSW Candy White
A2DP on the wagon. I think I might rip out the ipod setup and just use the A2DP and mount the phone up on the console somewhere. That way I get fast ipod response, I know who is calling, fast access to my phone book, can play audio from other iPhone apps and internet radio stations.....maybe even use the phone for navigation. Thoughts from iPhone users?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
i ditched my 3GS, horrible coverage, those verizon adds are correct. In the week I did have the 3GS I enjoyed it, albeit i didn't have BT streaming. Oh well my LG Chocolate Touch works just as good over BT, and I am happy with keeping my old nano and Sd card in the car for all my audio needs.

jeremy1701

TDI
2010 Jetta, 2002 Bettle
From what I'm reading, there is a difference between the Sedan and the Wagon. So far, the sedan seems unable to stream audio from an iPhone. I wonder if this is a software limitation or hardware. If it's software, there's gotta be a hack! ;-)

fleuger99

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
jeremy1701 said:
From what I'm reading, there is a difference between the Sedan and the Wagon. So far, the sedan seems unable to stream audio from an iPhone. I wonder if this is a software limitation or hardware. If it's software, there's gotta be a hack! ;-)
I think the BIG difference is the sedan has 9W3 BT module and the JSW has 9W2 BT module. That is probably the issue.

jeremy1701

TDI
2010 Jetta, 2002 Bettle
eggspoogas said:
Well jeremy1701 my sedan is only 3 months old and the Bluetooth streaming works great!
Eggspoogas, sounds like you're the outlier. Most others that have the sedan have been unable to stream. Can I ask a few questions?

1) Do you have the bluetooth buttons up near the dome lights?
2) Do you have the voice command enabled from the steering wheel?
3) Have you made any mods to your bluetooth?
4) Do you have nav?

aenea

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
This may be a silly question considering the forum, but do you have a TDI? I think the SE sedans get 9W2 bluetooth.

eggspoogas said:
Well jeremy1701 my sedan is only 3 months old and the Bluetooth streaming works great!

2010Wagen

TDI
2010 Sportwagen
740GLE said:
i ditched my 3GS, horrible coverage, those verizon adds are correct. In the week I did have the 3GS I enjoyed it, albeit i didn't have BT streaming. Oh well my LG Chocolate Touch works just as good over BT, and I am happy with keeping my old nano and Sd card in the car for all my audio needs.
Yeah my Verizon contract ended and I just got an iphone to see whats all about, service sucks here in Orlando, dropped calls and no 3G, I am taking mine back this weekend.

eggspoogas

TDI
2010 Jetta
Well actually I do not have a TDI. I just figured this post didn't matter if you had a TDI or not. But if it really does have a different Bluetooth then I guess I'm no help. I have the buttons by the light but no steering wheel controls. I have made no mods and I do not have nav. Sorry to have made yall confused.