Volkswagen's Clean Air Act violations on 2009+ TDIs spark huge recall, investigations

Status
Not open for further replies.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Why is it that everybody has to agree with the kool aid drinkers?
Three years ago the TDI met my needs as a consumer. It no longer does. I have a much shorter commute where the fuel economy is no longer needed. I was ready to be out in February.
My needs changed, but I can't sell it. Am I supposed to be happy?
can't or wont? two vastly different statements

I bet tones of people would love to buy your car, just not at a price that you'd be willing part with especially seeing you are hoping to profit from VW.

Armby

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf
That was nitrous oxide, not NOx. sorry to burst your bubble. I agree that it would be a lot of fun to have that thing under the car. I can picture the hood and grill melting of the jerk in his land rover that would back off me yesterday in heavy traffic at 65+. I'm surprised I don't have any scrapes in my folded bike rack.
Right you are. Bubble burst! Looks like VW will need to go back to finding out how to reduce NOX.

FVWVWF

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold - 2012 TDI Highline Manual
I bet tones of people would love to buy your car, just not at a price that you'd be willing part with especially seeing you are hoping to profit from VW.
I am in for a new car (non emissions related reasons)....tried selling my TDI on kijiji for the last 30 and some days....thousands of views and not a single reply. If someone was looking specifically for a used TDI then no problem...but to the average Joe out there looking for A car...the TDI is a turn off at the moment. In my opinion anyways.
Went to the dealer...told me he'll take $8,000. (thats for a 2012 with leather, nav, fender and 105,000kms) Total BS if you ask me. Told him it was a TDI not a friggen Neon. Felt like choking him in front of his peers.
Gonna ride this one out until I know what VW has decided or been ordered to do.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
I am in for a new car (non emissions related reasons)....tried selling my TDI on kijiji for the last 30 and some days....thousands of views and not a single reply. If someone was looking specifically for a used TDI then no problem...but to the average Joe out there looking for A car...the TDI is a turn off at the moment. In my opinion anyways.
Went to the dealer...told me he'll take $8,000. (thats for a 2012 with leather, nav, fender and 105,000kms) Total BS if you ask me. Told him it was a TDI not a friggen Neon. Felt like choking him in front of his peers.
Why don't you list it in the for sale forum here on TDIClub?

dslman

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta, 2000 GOLF, 2013 Touareg, 2015 Q5
Yes - Good luck getting that MSRP + settlement, ...
Just think how he's going to feel if (when?) it's revealed June 21 they'll value his car based on TRADE-IN Value.
Exactly why I want to keep my car, I'll still get their big fat check compensation, exactly why people need to separate the so called ($5000?) Compensation money from the buyback value, you get this no matter if you keep the car or give it back. An SCR Hack in job? well that changes everything, No Bueno for me!

Last edited:

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
VW is free to value the car any way they want, but it's unrealistic to think the court is going to let a low valuation suffice given the entire negotiation process is to prevent a larger class action lawsuit from proceeding.

dmarsingill

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Sportwagen Turned in , 2000 Z3 Coupe, 2003 Ford Expedition
Well, unless you have some skin in the game you're probably better off not provoking a fight through name calling and the like. Adage applies: if you haven't walked a mile in another man's shoes...

I certainly have an open mind and enjoy the differing views expressed, however I do object to a self-important asshat with an attitude. But that's just me :rolleyes:
That was why I said I don't agree with everything he says. I actually try to leave opinions out of my posts. When I read posts like that, I don't even register the rudeness or name calling(unless it is directed at me).

Donald

Bisoned

Banned
TDI
13 Passat
I hate to admit it, but I actually agree with you on this one. :D
My 2016 Touareg TDI has been pulling right ever so slightly since I bought it. When I brought it in to the dealer for them to look at, they told me the alignment is off and that I needed to pay for it ($249); no good will from VW period once it's driven off the lot. I am pretty disgusted at the cost cutting going on here. I can only imagine what else they are screwing people over with.
I've owned several Hondas, Toyotas and Hyundais. ALL of them covered alignment under 12,000 miles/12 months. Not these yahoos.
Try driving around in 85 degree weather with no AC. Yeah that's right, 2.5 year old car has NO ac. Out of warranty too.....

autdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 NB, 2003 NB, 2006 Touareg, 2015 Jetta, 2013 Beetle, 2013 Touareg
VW is free to value the car any way they want, but it's unrealistic to think the court is going to let a low valuation suffice given the entire negotiation process is to prevent a larger class action lawsuit from proceeding.
Actually, so long as the sharks profit, what do they care what the commoners get? They only lose if the commoners don't accept the settlement, which given the slow uptake on the free $1000, they might just ram it through and hope enough don't opt out to void the settlement.

Bisoned

Banned
TDI
13 Passat
Profit? How is being reimbursed for being the victim of VW obtaining money under false pretenses profiting?

Why would I sell the car now at say $14,000 when I can wait a month and know I will probably be reimbursed somewhere in the $20K range, which was the FMV prior to this mess. I've been quoted anywhere from $12-$14K for a trade.

Are you saying I should take less? I hope you don't give financial advice for a living!

Bisoned

Banned
TDI
13 Passat

ummm, NOT...

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-4-as-carmaker-plans-emissions-crisis-rebound

and i quote:

Profit at Volkswagen AG’s namesake brand tumbled 86 percent in the first quarter, highlighting the challenge the automaker faces in emerging from the nearly nine-month-old scandal over cheating on emissions tests.

or this:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/volkswa...-quarter-after-huge-loss-last-year-1464680324

and i quote:

BERLIN— Volkswagen AG posted a profit in the first three months of the year, but earnings plunged at its Volkswagen-brand unit and in China, its biggest single market, demonstrating the German car maker has far to go in recovering from its diesel-emissions scandal.

The world’s largest car maker by sales is struggling with the costs of resolving the emissions-cheating affair. The pressure comes as Volkswagen prepares to unveil in June a strategy review that is expected to involve restructuring its global brands, overhauling corporate governance and pushing into electric vehicles and mobility services.

Bisoned

Banned
TDI
13 Passat

And HOW are they cutting costs? I bet it won't be staffing, but putting cheaper parts in the cars they manufacture. From the article:

The company has been slashing costs by using more common parts across its range of models, investing in electric vehicles and working on a new business structure aimed at improving accountability and speeding up model development.

Bisoned

Banned
TDI
13 Passat
Just think how he's going to feel if (when?) it's revealed June 21 they'll value his car based on TRADE-IN Value.
Exactly why I want to keep my car, I'll still get their big fat check compensation, exactly why people need to separate the so called ($5000?) Compensation money from the buyback value, you get this no matter if you keep the car or give it back. An SCR Hack in job? well that changes everything, No Bueno for me!
If they offer trade in value CAS will not approve the agreement. Won't happen

Bisoned

Banned
TDI
13 Passat
I had one dealer who wouldn't take it in a trade because of the unknown with dieselgate.

It is what it is....

Bisoned

Banned
TDI
13 Passat
Actually, so long as the sharks profit, what do they care what the commoners get? They only lose if the commoners don't accept the settlement, which given the slow uptake on the free $1000, they might just ram it through and hope enough don't opt out to void the settlement.
EPA/CARB and CAS must agree on this, I believe. There is also a 30-day comment period after the proposed settlement is made public. There will be no "ramming through" anything with lawyers from all entities involved.

CAS lawyers would be tarred and feathered and disbarred if they did anything of the sorts.

dslman

Veteran Member
TDI
If they offer trade in value CAS will not approve the agreement. Won't happen
Oh I almost forgot, your one of those who foolishly buys a new car every 3 years, so you should be OK with Trade-in value since that's what your used to anyways.
Everyone hopes for more, it's human nature, but Realistically Trade-in Value is very likely. The Hagens Berman Survey Questions were all based on TRADE-IN Value + whatever compensation, see:
HAGENS BERMAN VW OWNER SURVEY

EDIT.. HEY! ***? They changed the survey questions! Back in April all the questions were based on Trade-IN value, I just looked again & now they're based on Private Party Value.

Either way, this is just more confirmation MSRP is a Pipe Dream.

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Profit? How is being reimbursed for being the victim of VW obtaining money under false pretenses profiting?
Why would I sell the car now at say $14,000 when I can wait a month and know I will probably be reimbursed somewhere in the $20K range, which was the FMV prior to this mess. I've been quoted anywhere from $12-$14K for a trade.
Are you saying I should take less? I hope you don't give financial advice for a living!
Looks like he was offering a fair amount for a car that hasn't been maintained. Who wants a 4 year old car that doesn't have working AC and bald tires? The dealer would probably have to do $2K worth of maint to turn around and sell it for $18K, hoping to pocket $2k for his gamble.

I think the biggest thing to come to light with dieselgate is that diesels are no different than any other car in terms of holding values. Yeah previous trends of previous drive lines bucked gassers, but as people teeth on the CR technology along with VW the idea that they are gold plated and demand a higher resale value needs to be shaken from peoples heads.

Last edited:

dslman

Veteran Member
TDI
And HOW are they cutting costs?
  • Senior executives receive lower bonuses
  • feature fewer models and trim options
SOURCE

AND

Reduction of parts complexity (i.e empathize using the same parts across multiple models, which they have been doing i.e. MQB Platform starting in 2012)
SOURCE1

Last edited:

Philpug

Veteran Member
TDI
Gone but not forgotten
  • Senior executives receive lower bonuses
  • feature fewer models and trim options
SOURCE

AND

Reduction of parts complexity (i.e empathize using the same parts across multiple models, which they have been doing i.e. MQB Platform starting in 2012)
SOURCE1
What about...

Giving 120,000 employees a 5% pay increase: CNN

Building a $300M Uber Rival: Link

Neither are exactly cost cutting measures.

Last edited:

yehaman

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
Can we just try to stick to the facts. Not sure why some of you feel the need to beat up on Bisoned and I'm sure they can defend themselves just fine but for the people that are coming to this forum for information regarding their specific affected cars it's sure annoying to have to read through all the back and forth banter. I'm sure they just want out of their car, for top dollar just like everyone else...assuming you want out of your car. if your one that wants to keep driving it...great, enjoy, and we'll all hopefully find out on the 21st what our options are...until then...only a few really know...and I doubt they'll be posting on this forum.

dslman

Veteran Member
TDI
What about...
Giving 120,000 employees a 5% pay increase: CNN
Building a $300M Uber Rival: Link
Neither are exactly cost cutting measures.
Yet, THIS:
So much for Dieselgate
The biggest hit will be from all these lawsuits.
Still, It's not going to stop them, I predict VW could still meet their original dream to become the largest auto maker in the world by 2018. USA only accounts for 5% of this, but this too will grow rapidly once they have the brand new Tiguan and Crossblue for USA (AMAROK built in Tennessee would be a no brainier as well) Offering all of these with fuel efficient TDI Power plants would only increase their sales of these vehicles. (YES, IN USA)
I also predict TDI's available again in VW CARS FOR USA near future.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Can we just try to stick to the facts. Not sure why some of you feel the need to beat up on Bisoned and I'm sure they can defend themselves just fine but for the people that are coming to this forum for information regarding their specific affected cars it's sure annoying to have to read through all the back and forth banter. I'm sure they just want out of their car, for top dollar just like everyone else...assuming you want out of your car. if your one that wants to keep driving it...great, enjoy, and we'll all hopefully find out on the 21st what our options are...until then...only a few really know...and I doubt they'll be posting on this forum.
They want info for their specific situation? Then wait until June 21st when the info on the proposed settlement is released. As has been mentioned many, many, many times, Judge Breyer imposed a "Confidentiality Order" (aka "gag order") on public release of that info prior to June 21st. Please see these court documents:

http://www.cand.uscourts.gov/filelibrary/1738/April_21_Transcript.pdf

http://www.cand.uscourts.gov/filelibrary/1739/Confidentiality_Order.pdf

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Thanks! Those were fascinating! I wonder if the pebble bed reactor design uses Thorium? Just think: 0 CO2, 0 NOx, 0 HC.
You can watch the whole Pandora's promise on YouTube as well. It's a 3 part series :cool:

Fascinating stuff for sure!

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
I don't bother with anything other than report post when people get like that. There's really no need for it.
People throw around the troll word a LOT in here (and the internet in general) when people disagree with them when really a troll is the type that has no stake in the matter yet posts things to provoke, stir the pot, and generally add nothing to the conversation.
Reporting the post is quick and doesn't engage the name caller on any level that scratches their itch.
This is absolutely the way to handle these people. That, and the "ignore list." Before Threadzilla, I had zero people on my ignore list; I now have 8. The only thing to keep in mind is that the trolls want to be fed, so don't feed them, which all too many people do.

YukonLT

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6MT
And HOW are they cutting costs? I bet it won't be staffing, but putting cheaper parts in the cars they manufacture. From the article:
The company has been slashing costs by using more common parts across its range of models, investing in electric vehicles and working on a new business structure aimed at improving accountability and speeding up model development.
Using more "common" parts doesn't mean cheaper, it means they are using the same part on more models in the line up. They are simply streamlining the production process to cut cost, it's actually smart.

Bisoned

Banned
TDI
13 Passat
Oh I almost forgot, your one of those who foolishly buys a new car every 3 years, so you should be OK with Trade-in value since that's what your used to anyways.
Everyone hopes for more, it's human nature, but Realistically Trade-in Value is very likely. The Hagens Berman Survey Questions were all based on TRADE-IN Value + whatever compensation, see:
HAGENS BERMAN VW OWNER SURVEY

EDIT.. HEY! ***? They changed the survey questions! Back in April all the questions were based on Trade-IN value, I just looked again & now they're based on Private Party Value.

Either way, this is just more confirmation MSRP is a Pipe Dream.
Not foolish..... I happen to like owning a new car every three years. I know I am paying a lot of depreciation, but I also am fortunate enough to make enough money to support this. The depreciation doesn't bother me, as long as it is normal depreciation and NOT what VW has caused the car to depreciate.

In all honesty, I would be happy with pre dieselgate trade in. Should be about $19 retail would have been around $21K. I'm figuring on getting out of this with about $25K ($19K + 5K) and know I am foregoing the sales tax exemption on my trade in (this will cost me about $2,100 in Rhode Island).

just saw the edit.... I will be picking up another $2K. Sweet

Bisoned

Banned
TDI
13 Passat
Looks like he was offering a fair amount for a car that hasn't been maintained. Who wants a 4 year old car that doesn't have working AC and bald tires? The dealer would probably have to do $2K worth of maint to turn around and sell it for $18K, hoping to pocket $2k for his gamble.
I think the biggest thing to come to light with dieselgate is that diesels are no different than any other car in terms of holding values. Yeah previous trends of previous drive lines bucked gassers, but as people teeth on the CR technology along with VW the idea that they are gold plated and demand a higher resale value needs to be shaken from peoples heads.
3 year old car. Tires are OK, they would need to be replaced. If he asked I would certainly tell him about the AC lol

The deal I had in place honestly was about 2 months ago. It's an SEL so whatever.... The car is a POS anyway

Philpug

Veteran Member
TDI
Gone but not forgotten
Resale is also a matter of research. Up to diesel gate, TDI's had one of the best resales on the market. Now, it has gone, VW took that from us. When I took a look at getting the TDI, even though it was more expensive by (pst) $2K than the gas counterpart, you would get that difference back at time of resale.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
This is absolutely the way to handle these people. That, and the "ignore list." Before Threadzilla, I had zero people on my ignore list; I now have 8. The only thing to keep in mind is that the trolls want to be fed, so don't feed them, which all too many people do.
About the same here: before I had 3 now I have 12 (though I believe one has received a permanent ban, so I might remove it)

Status
Not open for further replies.