Westfalia Trailer wiring confusion

FlipOne513

TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
I’m planning on ordering a Westfalia tow hitch with the dedicated electrics kit. After searching around on TDIclub I see a lot of write ups on how to use a 7 pin euro with a 7 pin USA connector. I’m not really sure why I would want to do that. The trailer I’m planning on buying has a 4 pin flat style connector. Can’t I Just use this Reese 7 pin Euro to 4 Pin flat adapter? https://www.amazon.com/Reese-118710-7-Way-European-Adapter/dp/B00IE41DIC
I’m planning on adding brakes to the trailer. Is that why I would need the 7 pin? All the write ups ive seen involve coding the module or ECU. Wouldn’t it just be easier to convert the trailer from 4 pin to 7 pin euro? Or run the trailer brake controller separately? I’m I missing something?

TL,DR. Can I use a Westfalia 7pin wire harness and a Reese 7pin euro to 4 pin flat adapter and have all my trailer lights work?

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
Rewiring the trailer will neither be feasible or legal for lighting Euro regs vs USA.
You could use a euro 7 to flat 4 as you mentioned

I have always recommend getting the uk13 system

There is no coding. If done correctly, the BCM will recongize the module and the only setting you change is to NAR

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
And yes 7 round is the set-up here that has provisions for electric brakes

FlipOne513

TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
Thank you Sandmansans! So i should pony up the extra money and get the 13 pin dedicated electrics kit from PFJones, even though i dont have a camper or anything? My understanding was that the 13 pin was for for the battery and refrigerator in a camper.
After a quick googling I didn’t see an adapter to go from 13 pin euro to 4 pin flat. So are you suggesting the 13 pin because it doesn’t need coding and the 7 pin does need coding? In my situation ( just trailering a few dirt bikes maybe a side by side) what are the advantages of using the 13 vs the 7 pin? Especially because I don’t see a 13 to 4 pin adapter. Thanks in advance.

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
Thank you Sandmansans! So i should pony up the extra money and get the 13 pin dedicated electrics kit from PFJones, even though i dont have a camper or anything? My understanding was that the 13 pin was for for the battery and refrigerator in a camper.
After a quick googling I didn’t see an adapter to go from 13 pin euro to 4 pin flat. So are you suggesting the 13 pin because it doesn’t need coding and the 7 pin does need coding? In my situation ( just trailering a few dirt bikes maybe a side by side) what are the advantages of using the 13 vs the 7 pin? Especially because I don’t see a 13 to 4 pin adapter. Thanks in advance.
You would make your own. It's easy. Buy a 4 flat loom and a UK 13 pin blank. You actually could do both to the 13 pink, run a loom for 4 flat and another for 7 round.
You have better charging capabilities with the 13 round. It's the same cost so you might as well go for it. Also anecdotal, from what I've seen those that have had issues coincidentally had a 7 pi. System they were working with. Perhaps pure coincidence, but just an observation

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
None of them need coding. It's a simple adaptation value change.

FlipOne513

TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
Thanks for all the good info i really like the idea of making a 4 pin flat and a 7 pin round from the single 13 pin. You say they are the same price? The main reason i was leaning towards the 7 pin dedicated electrics kit vs the 13 is because on PFjones the 7 pin kit was around $124 and the 13 pin kit was about $236. So almost double the cost for the 13 vs the 7. But if it will give me more capabilities and possibly less problems down the road i think it would be $100+ dollars well spent.