Best ride quality shocks/struts for the money

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Well I’ve tried them all. Nothing will give you a cadillac ride. I have Koni FSDs with stock springs. About the best you’ll do, though I’d love a magna-ride option. :)

donshade

TDI

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Well I’ve tried them all. Nothing will give you a cadillac ride. I have Koni FSDs with stock springs. About the best you’ll do, though I’d love a magna-ride option. :)
I should add: Koni FSDs plus Neuspeed softsport springs are by far the best ride combo I’ve found.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
FSDs with stock springs are good, but Reds with stock springs ride better. But unfortunately Reds are NLA. Special Actives (not FSDs anymore) transformed the ride and handling on my BMW, however.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I just took a set of Konis off of a car and was going to sell them, but man they are SO BAD rusty I don't feel good about doing it. How do you guys in the salt belt keep them from simply dissolving every few years?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Early STR.Ts had a problem with rust, but I've had Konis on my Wagon since 2004 and never had any of them show more than a little surface rust. The last set of Reds were on there for 7+ years and looked fine when they came out of the car.

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
I should add: Koni FSDs plus Neuspeed softsport springs are by far the best ride combo I’ve found.
I also have Special Actives and SofSports on my Jetta, and I think @Zak99b5 does too. I like the combo, sporty feeling for sure, though I do feel bad when I have to drive my grandma somewhere, as it's no Cadillac ride 😄
For some reason on mine the rear sits a touch lower than the front. I thought maybe they needed to settle in a bit but they've been on there a few months now and haven't evened out, so I may add a small spacer in the rear to level it.

Dalon

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 MKV Jetta TDI 1.9L - 237k 2013 Passat TDI - 31k
I just took a set of Konis off of a car and was going to sell them, but man they are SO BAD rusty I don't feel good about doing it. How do you guys in the salt belt keep them from simply dissolving every few years?
You basically want to wash the car in October, put it in the garage, and then keep it there until April/May.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Hehe.... yeah, that stinks.

I have a set of Billy HDs on my 2004 Passat, that I put on around 2006... and they still look fine (and perform just the same as they did when new, and that was almost 200k miles ago).

Seems Konis in this same area don't last like that.

DeliveryValve

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS Wagon
The coat of paint on my Konis is shockingly thin. Probably reason why I hear they rust out so bad.

I ended up spraying several coats of clear just to give them a bit better protection.

Fahrvegnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
01 golf 1.9 alh gls silver
The golfs bilstein hds are maybe 4 years old and they get dinged up with little rust spots on them. I just crank up the spray tank with cosmoline and squirt them until they're brown. I don't see a realistic way to drive the car and prevent rust except replacing things as they break.

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
FSDs with stock springs are good, but Reds with stock springs ride better.
Have you been able to ride compare the ride of the Reds to that of the Special Actives in a Mk4? I don't know how much valving difference there is between the FSD and Special Actives, if any.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I haven't, but I don't think there's any difference between FSDs and Special Actives except for the name and the color. And the ride difference between FSDs and Reds is pretty subtle.

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Konis do seem to rust. My son now owns my old B5 A4 avant. I put used Koni Sports on it (car already had the factory sport springs) a dozen years ago. They're rusty, but they're still on there and work fine.