TDIFest 2011 coming to Lexington, KY

mrvermin

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
All Right....

Anywhere from 950km to 1030km (depending on which route I decide to take) and about 10hours from Toronto. So one tank will do it each way :D

Looking forward to it, and already booking the time off work :D

See ya'all There Eh....:p

MrVermin

bubbastdi2003

TDIClub Contributor
ft.knox 78-79 basic and ait, well a pouch of redman, buff up the ole 12 ga. and im off to the rodeo, lol, kentucky is very nice, down to earth people, and great scenery for sure,stop by the "outlaws" in hillbilly haven on the way in and out should be great !!!

Leafsfan

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Wagon TDI Highline 6MT, Pure White
All Right....

Anywhere from 950km to 1030km (depending on which route I decide to take) and about 10hours from Toronto. So one tank will do it each way :D

MrVermin
I am off for the Labour Day weekend, so I really want to go! Should be easy to get down there on one tank of fuel. I just have to convice the wife. Would be nice to see a big Canadian group visiting our American friends at the fest!

petea4

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Golf GLS
All Right....

MrVermin
Have a good one Joel,

I won't be going....... Lexington? 10+hrs away and where the main local attraction is the MALL across the street? no thanks.

DC was awesome! Lots to do around town, instead of hanging in a Hotel/parking lot all weekend.

I was hoping TDIfest 2011 would have been in Chicago. What a great city to spend the long weekend in!

later,
Pete

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Hey, there's always the Unicomp factory, if you want brand new keyboards that can be used as weapons... (and someone will get angry enough with you for using them, due to their loud noise, that you'll have to use them as weapons...) :p

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
Hmm I might do Lexington, Ma to Lexington, Ky..

How about you Lug Nut!!

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Someone should, just for fun, do every Lexington in the US.

AL, GA, IL, IN (twice), KY, MA, ME, MI, MN, MS, MO, NE, NY, NC, OH, OK, OR, SC, TN, TX, and VA.

j/k

squebel

Veteran Member
Excellent location! Been wanting to attend the national GTG for years and now it's actually a location that's a one day drive from the center of the country.

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
Have a good one Joel,

I won't be going....... Lexington? 10+hrs away and where the main local attraction is the MALL across the street? no thanks.

DC was awesome! Lots to do around town, instead of hanging in a Hotel/parking lot all weekend.

I was hoping TDIfest 2011 would have been in Chicago. What a great city to spend the long weekend in!

later,
Pete
While Lexington isn't DC, I'm thinking there might be more than just a mall as nearby attractions.

i64w2gohome

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Attended an aviation conference in Lexington in OCT09, the area certainly exceeded my expectations. One activity suggestion: a TDI run along the Bourbon Trail.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
That's too far for me. Guess I won't be coming to this one either. Darn, I was hoping there is was going to be one in the north east.

airwolf

Veteran Member
TDI
None
I stopped briefly in Lexington on my way back home from Thanksgiving activities. I cannot wait for TDIFest, we spent about two hours in Lexington and it felt like 10 minutes. Lot of stuff to see, lots of history in the area. Looks like a fun place to visit for a weekend.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
My wife is looking at some biking and hiking trails to do why I am out playing:D.Who ever wants meet up with her,or set up something else give us a buzz.

RichmondKYtdi

Have a good one Joel,

later,
Pete
All right i am going to stick up for my little town, i am the most centrally located for all of my college friends and we always get together here and have never run out of things to do.... highlights:
-Woodford Reserve Bourbon tour (interesting even if you don't partake) $5
-KY Horse park, plenty to see and stopping by on Sunday and get you in to see the weekly polo match for Free
-Three Chimney Farm tour, i have thought about making this a group option, you can book groups of 25 fairly easily... many KY derby winners stud here (some explanations of what goes on isnt appropriate for the young ones!)
more options: http://www.visitlex.com/whattodo/topten.php

Not to mention we have some of the best country roads to go get lost on, see the horse farms, orchards, and castle (http://www.thecastlepost.com/)

so there's a start and we have much cleaner air than chicago i promise (you might even get a whiff of peanut butter in the morning from the jif plant downtown)

RichmondKYtdi

My wife is looking at some biking and hiking trails to do why I am out playing:D.Who ever wants meet up with her,or set up something else give us a buzz.
I cycle quite a bit, check out the bluegrass cycling club for group rides. For hiking Raven Run in Lexington (15 min away) is great, Berea (30-40min away) is good and also has a lot of arts and a great downtown next to the college, but the Red River Gorge is the most popular (about an hour away)

cb723

TDI
1999.5 golf tdi
Cool its about 550 miles for me. Thats not bad. I can visit my mom in Tenn.

petea4

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Golf GLS
All right i am going to stick up for my little town, i am the most centrally located for all of my college friends and we always get together here and have never run out of things to do.... highlights:
-Woodford Reserve Bourbon tour (interesting even if you don't partake) $5
-KY Horse park, plenty to see and stopping by on Sunday and get you in to see the weekly polo match for Free
-Three Chimney Farm tour, i have thought about making this a group option, you can book groups of 25 fairly easily... many KY derby winners stud here (some explanations of what goes on isnt appropriate for the young ones!)
more options: http://www.visitlex.com/whattodo/topten.php

Not to mention we have some of the best country roads to go get lost on, see the horse farms, orchards, and castle (http://www.thecastlepost.com/)

so there's a start and we have much cleaner air than chicago i promise (you might even get a whiff of peanut butter in the morning from the jif plant downtown)
I was explaining to my fellow Torontonian that i won't be rolling down with him. All that you've have listed sound good. Let me ask you this, Would you travel at a min of 11hrs, on a long weekend, deal with extra time/lineups at the border crossing, to visit your town? This trip can easily turn into a 15+hr ordeal one way with those border crossing dudes, cunstruction, and traffic on the interstate.

What i have found interesting about 1hr away is this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOYa2YD_2Gk

A train rolling down the main street of La Grange! Pretty cool.

I'm all for attending a TDIfest, but i need something more to jusify the timeoff on a long weekend and the time i will burn driving my car. :D

Pete

Last edited:

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
Have a good one Joel,
later,
Pete
I was explaining to my fellow Torontonian that i won't be rolling down with him. All that you've have listed sound good. Let me ask you this, Would you travel at a min of 11hrs, on a long weekend, deal with extra time/lineups at the border crossing, to visit your town? This trip can easily turn into a 15+hr ordeal one way with those border crossing dudes, cunstruction, and traffic on the interstate.
I'm all for attending a TDIfest, but i need something more to jusify the timeoff on a long weekend and the time i will burn driving my car. :D
Pete
I drove 12 hours each way to go to Fest '08 in Mason, OH. Mason wasn't exactly a thriving, exciting metropolis. There was a big amusement park across the street, but otherwise it was at least 20 miles to anywhere more exciting. I don't expect to ever visit Mason again, but I had a good time.

"Points of Interest" are in the eye of the beholder, I suppose. I've Googled "Lexington points of interest" a few times and found several things that will be interesting. I'm not particularly interested in horses, but it might be cool to see a polo match. It might be boring or totally suck, but I won't know if I don't go.

The following comments are my opinion only, and not meant to be confrontational, argumentative, or otherwise insulting:

This is twice now you've posted complaining about location. If you don't want to go, then don't go: no one is forcing you, but don't whine about the venue. Realize that the crew for Fest '11 has already put a considerable amount of time into their proposal and will be putting in many more hours getting everything planned out. I've been involved in planning other (non TDIFest) festivals, and it's not an easy undertaking. That said, if I were on the Fest '11 planning crew, I'd be a little insulted by your complaints about the location.

You could always submit a proposal for Fest '12 Toronto.

Last edited:

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
I was in Lexington for a few days visiting family. We drove by the Hilton Suites. Very nice venue.

Lexington is a very nice city. Home of University of Kentucky so it's a large college town. There are lots of upscale bistros and cafes. Just driving around the area looking at the huge horse farms is quite scenic. The nice old homes and quaintness is very appealing.

Things to do around Lexington:

Distillery tours!!! Maps to the distilleries and tour times are all over the place.

The HUGE Toyota plant is just up the road in Georgetown where they make Camrys. Yeah, I know, Toyotas... I've taken the factory tour there and its worth it to see how cars are put together these days, even though its not our brand of choice. Tours are free but you have to call ahead as they only have a few tours/day and they only take so many people at one time.

If you are into history, Lexington offers a lot.

Mary Todd Lincoln home tour.

Henry Clay estate tour.

Civil War sites (Perryville and Battle of Richmond).

Civil War Museums.

Oh yeah, they are absolutely obsessed with horses there. Everything equine is in Lexington.

This should be a very nice fest.

:)

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke

I'm all for attending a TDIfest, but i need something more to justify the time off on a long weekend and the time i will burn driving my car. :D

Pete
So start a new thread:
TDIFest 2012: Where will it be, eh?;)