If you had between $500.00 and $1500.00 for your suspension...

GrampaJ

TDI
2001 TDI
And you had all of the power mods in place, what would you buy? Coilovers or good springs and shocks with rollbars? My suspension is officially worn out (8 and I am thinking about what to replace it with. I am lowered about 1 1/2" on the front, and so stock shocks will not last. Toying with the idea of coilovers but have mixed feelings because I want long lasting and I do not want a harsh ride. I love this car and it is my daily driver. Firmer ride is okay long as it does not get ridged over the bumps. I have been looking at options from Eibauch and many other quality units but would be interested in hearing from you guys and hear your experiences and especially your regrets after buying the wrong kit. I am planning ahead and hope to move on this some time this summer. I do not want anything that will wear out in 50,000 miles no matter how good it rides.

GrampaJ

Last edited:

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
Everyone will have their favorite set-up but I went wth Shine springs and Koni yellows on the Mk IV.
If you have a few bucks left get the Shine rear anti-roll, too.

Macradiators.com

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0 CR 360hp
For street Koni FSD , i have them on the Leon FR and are very good for comfort seen the potholes in Romania and 18" rims.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
I had the FSD's on my MkVI, nice shocks, but read my sig for what I've done to my MkIV. The recent wheel lightening, 40#>35#@, made a big difference.
The offset wheel spacers and mild lift with heavy springs has almost neutralised the handling, a tad of understeer until the LSD and some torque kick in for aggressive cornering. NB the Generals are thin sidewalls, so they help with softening the ride too.

My advice, DON'T lower it. 16" rims are a good compromise for weight, trackability, and keeping rubber on the road. Anything bigger and wheels and tires start getting too heavy IMO.

Coilovers, lowering, and big rims are for those who want to look fast,
not drive fast.

My $.02,
R*2

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
I would go with H&R super sport springs, bilstein HD shocks (or koni yellows), and a rear sway bar. If you would prefer coilovers, FKs are cheap, or I would go for a used higher end unit. Big fan of H&Rs stuff, the base springs are OEM feeling, super sports are more aggressive. Eibach sport springs are basically stock 20th edition springs, so they're dialed in well for the car too.

MK4s handle like picnic tables made of nails... so anything helps. RSB and 225/45R17s go a long way. 18s and dumped cars don't handle as well, if your control arms are pointing the wrong direction your axles won't be happy and it won't handle as well. I'd set some money aside for a proper alignment too and make sure every other component is in good shape.

Last edited:

GrampaJ

TDI
2001 TDI
Wow... I want to thank everyone for the helpful comments... I sure hear you when it comes to tire weight. I am running stock rims most of the time but I have some 215/50/17's that I am planning to run for the summertime so I can get a bit more traction. But for mileage stock is hard to beat unless you find something even lighter. I did add the Jetta 1.8 turbo front disks and I like the extra stopping power. Very noticeable!!! Have not noticed any negative since it is my daily driver and not racer. Looking foreward to the discussion.

GrampaJ

sackman

Veteran Member
TDI
2(2003) 2Dr ARL/ASV
Koni FSDs + H&R sport. Nice ride great in corners.

However this thread is in the wrong section. Should be in the upgrades section.

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
Solowerks for coilovers if you want to go the coilover route

Otherwise Koni FSD+ HR sport

then Audi TT bushings front and Cupra R bushings rear

Shine rear bar

or else complete shine bar/springs/bar is the best handling set out there for Mk4 bar none, but not for the stance crowd

GrampaJ

TDI
2001 TDI
Solowerks for coilovers if you want to go the coilover route

Otherwise Koni FSD+ HR sport

then Audi TT bushings front and Cupra R bushings rear

Shine rear bar

or else complete shine bar/springs/bar is the best handling set out there for Mk4 bar none, but not for the stance crowd
After thinking about it and researching more it seems that coilovers have more of a coolness appeal (at least to me) than a practical appeal. And so after thinking about it the Koni FSD+ HR sport with bushings etc. will give you some very high quality suspension for around $1000.00 . If I am not mistaken that would get some medium quality coilovers ??? and you would need to spend close to double that price to get in to some really good coilovers. So in other words it appears that springs and struts will give you more quality for a given price range? Perhaps I am wrong on that.

Anyway I think I will go with the Koni FSD and am still thinking about which springs... what about the Shine springs with the Konis? I read several threads where guys ran them with the Konis and were very happy. They are stiffer but still sound very comfortable on the street? Several guys said the car was boucy with the HR or the Eibauch's but I suspect that they had the dampening rate too low? I am not an expert but would not bounce be caused by lack of dampening... not springs?

Thanks again for all of the great advise... I love this car and it has paid for itself in so many ways that I want upgrade it with well chosen options to make it even better.

GrampaJ

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
GrampaJ,

Really want to transform the car? Put a Limited Slip Diff in. You could probably get a Peloquin or Wavetrac installed for around $1500.
You'll never look back.

Then go ahead and play with the suspension.

My $.02,
R*2

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
FSD, stock springs, polyurethane for strut top mounts, lower arm bushings, and rear axle bushings.
I've had Shine's Real Street, rear bar, no front bar, with H-D and with yellows, but won't do that again. I love the FSD/stock/poly set-up far better for handling, rough road control, and ride quality.

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
Really want to transform the car? Put a Limited Slip Diff in. You could probably get a Peloquin or Wavetrac installed for around $1500.
You'll never look back.

Then go ahead and play with the suspension.
He's right. I'd take a diff and H&R springs over heavy suspension work any day. Ripping through corners at low speed in 2nd is way more fun when the car's trying to pull you off the road instead of being a one tire fire that barely moves. No matter what you do suspension wise it's still a Jetta, but at least you'll have traction in the first two gears. Plus, I mean you could kind of claim it's preventative maintenance to repair the transmission before it breaks, if you're trying to justify this to a significant other that is.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
I've got less than 2k since I put the diff in with the auto>manual swap.
I did the Konis and springs while still an auto, brakes, rotors, swaybar bushings, decent tires et al. Nothing out of the ordinary, just basic maintenance stuff on a 15yr old car that hadn't had a lot done to it.

The LSD is the biggest change in overall feel and driveability. Rubber on the road and delivering power to the interface is what it's all about. 35# on the corners makes it all lively and nimble. You won't hit that
weight with 17" rims and tires. Tracking at 70 on the highway is rock solid with the motor at a hair over 2000 rpm.

Owain,
I haven't driven a Jetta, so I can't really compare it to the Golf platform, but at least with my setup
(NB offset spacers), I can torque my way out of understeer in that tight 2nd gear corner. It may well handle like a picnic table, it's not the refinement of the MkVI independent rear, but it's fun to drive.

Soon as I can get a hold of Jeff of RC for Stage 2 and bigger injector
(.216) install/tune, I'll be done for a while.

GrampaJ,
Have a concept of where you want to end up, I just did a couple of 400 mile days. Comfortable, relaxed, 7hrs of driving was a breeze. You won't be feeling like that if you've got too stiff a suspension setup.
My goal is a low budget GT car, very happy with the results.

Cheers,
R*2

bobbiemartin

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Tiguan TDI 4Motion, Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD
You may want to consider using Audi TT front suspension parts. I haven't quite got it on the road, but that is the route I took on a Golf I'm redoing. If you shop around, you can find the parts fairly cheap. With the Audi TT arms/hubs you can adjust the camber. Adding a bit of negative camber will aid handling. I also went with a faster ratio rack (Audi TT or R32). I'm curious as to how it will work out, but I think I'll be happy!

alvinM3

TDI
2011 Golf TDi
I am looking to upgrade my suspension as well. What is a fair price for shock/strut/spring install? I had one shop estimate me ~$1K.

OlyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Golf
FSD, stock springs, polyurethane for strut top mounts, lower arm bushings, and rear axle bushings.
I've had Shine's Real Street, rear bar, no front bar, with H-D and with yellows, but won't do that again. I love the FSD/stock/poly set-up far better for handling, rough road control, and ride quality.
This is essentially what I did save for using lifting springs (VR6 front; Jetta wagon rears). Very happy with the finished ride.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
alvin,

If install only, outrageous, find somebody else. 4-6hrs should be a piece
of cake for a good shop that knows what they're doing. You'll need an
alignment too. I supplied shocks and springs, mounts et al, and with
the labor from my local guru, I'm under a grand total.

R*2

GrampaJ

TDI
2001 TDI
Well I am still researching the Audi tt lower control arms that might be attractive for a lowered car and restoring the right a frame angle so perhaps for some point in the future. Not sure on that one yet. I went with Koni FSD+ shocks and HR sport springs and ordered Audi TT bushings as well to stiffen things up.

Today I was loaded with three passengers in the car and hit an unexpected bump (think mogul) ... I cringed as I saw it and the car went over and plunged downward as my heart sank and then it rebounded with no problems at all. I was so relieved and no-one said anything about it. I was very pleased at the result. I would have never been able to take that bump like that before.

The HR springs left me a little lower than I was expecting (hence my cringe) and so I am thinking I would like to see it an inch higher. Any easy way to do that? I love the ride and the handling.

Oh... and for those who mentioned the limited slip... already have that and I second the idea.

Grampa J