Takata airbag recall

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
so how can we disable/unplug the bags?

VCDS?
You don't. And it can't be disabled through vcds.

The metal shrapnel from deploying airbags seems to affect the cars older than 2009. The civics for example are a good 4-5 years older. There was a 2006 ford ranger who's airbag caused a tragic death. As time goes on the takata igniter will start to effect our cars as well. That said, we should have the recall completed before then.

All that said, I wouldn't blame anyone for having this issue being the last straw and jumping on the buyback bandwagon. The emissions deal is one thing. It doesn’t kill you like having a claymore explode in your face after a accident.

swcrow17

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
You don't. And it can't be disabled through vcds.

The metal shrapnel from deploying airbags seems to affect the cars older than 2009. The civics for example are a good 4-5 years older. There was a 2006 ford ranger who's airbag caused a tragic death. As time goes on the takata igniter will start to effect our cars as well. That said, we should have the recall completed before then.

All that said, I wouldn't blame anyone for having this issue being the last straw and jumping on the buyback bandwagon. The emissions deal is one thing. It doesn’t kill you like having a claymore explode in your face after a accident.
"this side towards enemy".....no thanks to that....been within 20 feet of one going off before and don't want to be closer.

I'm not giving this ride up unless forced, but wanted to see if there was a way.....didn't know the 11 deaths were in cars that were older (less than 2010 models...thanks for that), but will say I didn't research each one. Guess I won't spin my wheels then.

Graham Line

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Golf TDI 6M
Ms. SO had a recall letter on her 2010 Toyota Corolla S with Takata airbags, which warned her to not allow anyone to ride in the right front seat until the assembly is replaced. Don't remember reading that in my letter from VW ... which I''m sure is here on my desk somewhere.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
"this side towards enemy".....no thanks to that....been within 20 feet of one going off before and don't want to be closer.

I'm not giving this ride up unless forced, but wanted to see if there was a way.....didn't know the 11 deaths were in cars that were older (less than 2010 models...thanks for that), but will say I didn't research each one. Guess I won't spin my wheels then.
I'm kinda surprised this thread hasn't gotten more posts considering how big of a issue this could actually be. Real lives have been lost due to these faulty igniters.

Ms. SO had a recall letter on her 2010 Toyota Corolla S with Takata airbags, which warned her to not allow anyone to ride in the right front seat until the assembly is replaced. Don't remember reading that in my letter from VW ... which I''m sure is here on my desk somewhere.
From what I understand only the driver's side steering wheel airbag has the Takata igniter in the VWs.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
So they used two separate ignitors? That's weird
From the info on VW's recall site:
REPAIR NOT YET AVAILABLE.
Driver Frontal Airbag Takata SDI Inflators
START DATE
02-09-2016

DESCRIPTION
Takata has reported that the driver frontal airbag inflator could potentially rupture if the vehicle is involved in a crash where the frontal airbags are designed to deploy. In the event of an inflator rupture, metal fragments could pass through the airbag cushion material, which may result in serious injury or death to vehicle occupants.

REMEDY
Replace driver airbag inflator.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
On an assembly line, things like steering column or steering wheel assembly involve precise repetitive procedures that often require that the assembler (if not a robot) that KNOWS that you have to follow a specific set of motions, such as...thread this through here, hold this aside, and leverage the bag into place with special tool, resetting this bundle of wires once bag is seated, and inserting retainer, IN THAT ORDER for proper fitment and correct deployment, if needed. I admit that I am probably inflating this issue (sorry!), but I don't like the idea of an airbag deploying unexpectedly.

These jobs require training and line experience. The garage of a VW dealership is not a workspace designed for assembly line consistency, and an airbag is an emergency device. It needs to be right!

Maybe it isn't that complicated in this case, though each car may be slightly different, depending on how much steering controls, options etc.

I do not know about you, but the way I see this, it is like allowing a scrub nurse do a "little procedure" on your left ear canal, and just just one of maybe a dozen DIFFERENT jobs done on that day.

I think I'd rather have a bad HPFP than a bad airbag. Both covered, but only one is instantly dangerous and may give me a neck injury, or worse!

Last edited:

02TDIred

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta (225K, retired), 05 JSW (334K, retired) 2012 JSW, SEL Gone, 2016 GSW/TSI/6A
The Tempest AND the teapot

The Takata recall on my '06 Ram Cummins took 1 1/2 yrs for the "part(s)"… 20 minutes shop time. :eek:

From… https://vinrcl.safercar.gov/vin/ for da' JSW…

VIN: 3VWML7AJ7CMXXXXXX
Year: 2012 Make: VW
Model: JETTA SPORTWAGEN TDI
W/SUNROOF & NAV 2.0L MANUAL

Number of Open Recalls: Ø :D :D :D

piotrsko

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf, 2000 F-250 (7.3)
my 2000 F-250 has never had an airbag worthy incident, nor the focus, the 88 ranger, ad naseum to the dawn of airbags across many vehicles.

as John Muir said "Conscious Driving, Mon".

If I do something worthy of deployment, fragmentation will just be an added bonus.

lucien2

TDI
2013 Golf TDi 6MT Tornado Red
Any update? As far as I can tell there is still no remedy. There are enough things out there trying to kill me in the 21st century. Do I really want to drive around with this too? I mean, it doesn't take too serious a crash to set off the airbag.

Meanwhile, I wait for my buyback docs to be accepted..... :(

AGreen

TDI
2002 Golf TDI, 5 speed; 2015 Passat TDI, DSG
Received notice recently that the dealer can complete the airbag fix. The replacement airbag is apparently another Takata airbag. Can one assume this is a new design? I read an article last year that the issue pertained to Takata's use of a unique (cheaper) propellant. Is this replacement airbag simply a newer one of the same thing to reset the clock?

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Received notice recently that the dealer can complete the airbag fix. The replacement airbag is apparently another Takata airbag. Can one assume this is a new design? I read an article last year that the issue pertained to Takata's use of a unique (cheaper) propellant. Is this replacement airbag simply a newer one of the same thing to reset the clock?
How are we supposed to know?:confused:

DK

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 TDI Golf 6 speed
Still waiting for my 2014 Golf airbag fix. Received the first recall notice April 2016. Last spoke to some one about it Feb.1 2017. Was told there is a long line ahead of me.:confused:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Reviving this thread. Has anyone received a recall on the JSWs? I had the recall on my German built 11 Golf, after the buyback was complete, but have not received anything on the Mexican built JSW. Surprising that VW would have used different airbags in the cars.

skycrane

TDI
'12 Audi A3, 96 E300, 87 300SDL
mine got fixed on my 12 Audi A3 when i brought it in last week for the emissions " fix" they are required to do any and all open recalls if you bring it in to a dealer. As far as i know i never received a letter saying they airbag was ready. The airbag just got released on the 14 of aug i believe. so maybe your letter is in the mail :) lol

Maybe if your doing the buyback they wont worry about the airbag till they are able to sell them again????

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Was your A3 assembled in Mexico or Germany?

bobt2382

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2010 CW GOLF 4DR 6MT TDI
I got the Takata airbag VW recall letter about a week ago for my 2010 Golf (assembled in Germany). Got the airbox letter a few days ago. Waiting to take it in for the "fix" so they can apply the recall parts for both of them.

bobt2382

TDI
2010 CW GOLF 4DR 6MT TDI
Skycrane,

I see you had the "fix" completed with the CP3 pump and Malone tune installed. I'm curious if you had any discussions/pushback from the dealer about the two "mods" and them applying the "fix".

I have the 2Micron kits installed and prefer not to remove them before taking it in for the "fix". I have a CP3 awaiting install, which will completed after the "fix" warranty.

Bob

skycrane

TDI
'12 Audi A3, 96 E300, 87 300SDL
car was assembled in germany

had no problems at all with the CP3 or Stage 2 on the car when they did the "fix". but i dont have the 2micron kit installed. andrew said it wasnt really needed since i was getting the CP3 and wouldnt have to worry about it grenading on me.

they did all 3 open recalls on my car. here is my thread of the recall with a pic of the dealer invoice.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=481109

just to let you know i had a ton of baked on soot on the tailpipe that breakcleaner couldnt touch . and a P0401 code that would come back every day after i cleared it. they still did the recall, all i did was clear it out before i got there with a generic code reader and did that 3 times in a row turned car on, erases codes, turn car off, repeat...

bobt2382 the only thing i would suggest is disabling the PolarFIS on your car before you bring it in. read that in one of the other posts on here, but dont remember where. With all the mods you have on your car, im not sure they would even notice an extra fuel filter on it :)...

bobt. looks like the warrenty covers the greater of 10yr or 120k miles from firs sale date, OR 4 yr, 48k miles from date of "fix:

Last edited:

bobt2382

TDI
2010 CW GOLF 4DR 6MT TDI
skycrane,

Thanks. Good call on the PolarFis. I changed the fuel filter last week and while using the VCDS to run the fuel pumps to clear out any air in the system, I disrupted the VCDC communication trying to use the PolarFis screen. Rookie mistake! I'll be sure to turn it off. I'm sure the VW techs would appreciate ECU communication failure due to the PolarFis.

Yeah, I'm aware that it may be a few miles before the fix warranty expires. I would rather have the warranty in place just in case the fix parts start to fail. BTW, hope you can get the DPF replaced. My DPF is still working fine, 116K with a 99ml ash load.

Bob