How many miles are you seeing between regenerations?

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I think you're being wise by letting regenerations finish. I'll let the car idle in the driveway rather than driving it around. They're usually finished in 5 - 10 minutes and EGT is back down to normal within a few minutes of the regen completing.
I tried that until the time I left my car idling overnight and found it still running out in the driveway the next morning, 16-hours later! That cured me of trying that again. I got preoccupied with all kinds of things at home that evening and forgot all about the car.

This is in sharp contrast to my observations. After shutting off my Passat mid-regen, and immediately restarting, it NEVER goes back into regen (as observed using the Torque app). I have done this many times to let the car idle for ~2 minutes (or until ET1 is <= 400F) before shutting it down again.
I guess the 2013 Passat works differently than my 2010 Golf.

jeepnguy

TDI
2011 JSW
Ok, please excuse the newb'ness here, but, how can I tell if mine is going into Regen? Smell? Sound? I drive 100+ hwy miles a day.

THanks

Jeff

jesssssser

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen ~118K
Ok, please excuse the newb'ness here, but, how can I tell if mine is going into Regen? Smell? Sound? I drive 100+ hwy miles a day.

THanks

Jeff

This is a question I'm also wondering about. I understand while idling, the RPMs are a bit higher than usual. How does one tell while driving?

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
The most common way to monitor regens is by monitoring the Exhaust Gas Temperature (EGT). I use a P3Cars vent gauge to monitor EGT, but there are other ways and more sophisticated ways, e.g., VagCom.

Below is a picture of my vent gauge. It's monitoring coolant temperature in the picture, but it's usually on EGT. It also does boost and some other things, but I think EGT is the most interesting on these cars.

on Flickr

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive
If you really want to be able to tell when a regen is going; your cheapest solution is a ~$15 bluetooth OBD adapter and the Torque Pro App on an android phone (sorry iPhone users; but they have some similar apps). It will let you monitor coolant, EGTs, etc and you can see a regen easily.

Solutions like the P3 above are great, and probably are more accurate if you want to spend the money; but for a total investment of less than $25, Torque Pro can't really be beat :D

jeepnguy

TDI
2011 JSW
So there is no indication or difference in performance that would let me know? Thanks for the info!!

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive
Only at idle (increased RPMs)

Actually; if your car is a manual there are other indicators. The shift light will tell you to go to lower gears to keep RPMs up when there is a regen going. For example; if you normally drive at 35 in 4th gear; when in a regen the car will tell you to shift to 3rd gear instead.

Last edited:

jeepnguy

TDI
2011 JSW
Only at idle (increased RPMs)

Actually; if your car is a manual there are other indicators. The shift light will tell you to go to lower gears to keep RPMs up when there is a regen going. For example; if you normally drive at 35 in 4th gear; when in a regen the car will tell you to shift to 3rd gear instead.
Guess I've never noticed a shift light change, I'm always hammer down :D