Bully Dog Rapid Power Module VW TDI Performance Chip for 2009-2010 Jetta 2.0L TDI

vgoncalves

TDI
Jetta 2001 306k write off, 2005 Jetta TDI 70k..sold with 230k, just bought 2010 jetta so nice!
Can anybody give me some insight on this chip? Wondering what other people have experienced with it. It claims +15% power so in a 140 hp and 236 lb-ft car it should translate to 161 hp and 272 lb-ft? Is this the experience of anybody who's bought it?

mctdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta
This unit is not a tuning for the car's ECU.

It goes on the fuel pressure sensor, to cause higher fuel pressure in the common rail. The ECU does not see this higher fuel pressure due to the false signal it is seeing. Higher rail fuel pressure done this way, would result in more fuel injected, and should increase HP and/or soot.

Since this is fooling the ECU in a simple way, there may be unwanted side effects in part(s) of the RPM range.

I would question Bully Dog on how it works long term on the car and exhaust filter. And how big of a boost in fuel pressure does it run?

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Also, increasing fuel rail pressure puts more stress on the High Pressure Fuel pump, which is already proven to be a somewhat fragile item. If you need more power, go with a real "chip tune". Malone Tuning, Stratmosphere, and F1, (and probably others) offer tunes for 2010 TDIs.

Have Fun!

Don

glitdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Tdi asv motor in a mk3 golf, om642 in a wk jeep
Save your money and buy a real tune!
Not something that was slapped together based on what works on a domestic diesel.
Talk to Vw mikel or Mark Malone for a real proper tune for the CR engine.
Both can be found here and have stellar reputations.
Mark is a local Vancouver-ite and Vw mikel is also close at hand.

Last edited:

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Like others have said, steer clear of Bully Dog. What they offer is not a tune. It's just a box that tricks your ECU by altering some of the sensors data.

I saw an article in I think it was Diesel World were this self professed after market retailer modded a TDI with a Bully dog box and a supposed cold air intake. The "performance gains" were really mediocre.

Unless you are going for really extreme H/P gains, an after market intake will do absolutely nothing, yet this imbecile was promoting the CAI mod as valid.

Get a real tune. The first 2 things that will have to be upgraded will be injectors and turbo. Your tuner can tell you how much gain you can expect on just a tune and then tell you when the injectors and turbo become a limiting factor.

Also, a real tune will easily surpass Bully Dogs claims with out the possibility of FUBARING you car......................

Last edited:

vgoncalves

TDI
Jetta 2001 306k write off, 2005 Jetta TDI 70k..sold with 230k, just bought 2010 jetta so nice!
thank you all

Thank you all for the valuable info. I did end up making the order as there was a sale on the item but will be returning it upon receipt.

One last question. I got Bully off of parley diesel website, it looks to be fairly reputable. They also have this one. is it any better?

Diesel Power Digi CR 2 Channel TDI Module for 2009-2010 VW & Audi 2.0L & 3.0L TDI Vehicles

thanks in advance. If this is not, I'll be paying mark a visit in Van in about a couple of weeks.

Cheers

glitdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Tdi asv motor in a mk3 golf, om642 in a wk jeep
I have one in my car older style mind you and I should have gotten a tune. Will be doing some serious mods soon and will be talking to the boys here about a proper tune.
Save your money and talk to one of the trusted tuners on this site more hp\tq per dollar and a better tune.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
One last question. I got Bully off of parley diesel website, it looks to be fairly reputable. They also have this one. is it any better?

Diesel Power Digi CR 2 Channel TDI Module for 2009-2010 VW & Audi 2.0L & 3.0L TDI Vehicles

Cheers
Simple answer: NO!

Full answer: All tuning "boxes" work by lying to the ECU (engine controller). They are all potentially dangerous and I have been told that their effects are (at best) temporary. 2009+ TDIs have pressure sensors built-in to their glow plugs. The ECU knows what pressure it expects to see and it will (in time) de-tune the engine to achieve the pressures it wants. Therefore, only a modified ECU program will be permanent. Go see Mark, (or another tuner) it's the only good way to get permanent gains.

P.S. You did not mention whether you had a manual transmission or a DSG. It appears that the DSG will limit your torque gains even with a good tune. Something else to consider (unless you have the manual gearbox).

Have Fun!

Don

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Seriously, get a legit tune. A "tuning box" is as bogus as they come. For not that much more money, you will get real HP gains that will be permanent and reliable as long as you decide to run that tune. Bully Dog just wants your money. If they can suck you in with their hype, then they did their job.

Last edited:

vgoncalves

TDI
Manual! ALL the way...also looking to knock off the govoner...130 mph is a little slow for me, lol, especially seeing as its only 3400 rpms

vgoncalves

TDI
RETURNING THE DAMN THING...and I'm going to say that the claims are not visible on my brand new car! Can't wait for the "real" tune and thanks to all of the veterans and knowledgeable people out there for your help. Certainly making a nice donation to the TDI club as this thing needs to be be around for many more years!

bluesmoker

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 pd 5 speed tip
RETURNING THE DAMN THING...and I'm going to say that the claims are not visible on my brand new car! Can't wait for the "real" tune and thanks to all of the veterans and knowledgeable people out there for your help. Certainly making a nice donation to the TDI club as this thing needs to be be around for many more years!
first of all as a newbie here you may have noticed the chip vs ecu flash wars (bias towards one solution or another)

the bully dog module is not a resistor or cheap clone, it is actually a computer that can be flashed via the usb port on the back

my friend "sparke" has the digi cr installed on a 2009 with zero pump, cat or dpf problems, the module has not been detuned by the ecu and he just recently returned from a 1000km trip to the bc interior (williams lake) with better fuel economy

with regards to the ecu flashes being "invisible" this is simply a lie, I have seen with my own eyes the owner of a v10 toureg tdi get his warranty discarded at Sports VW (maple ridge). His tranny failed, they hooked up the car to the factory scan tools and found his "invisible" tune instantly, he was handed a $6800 bill for a new tranny, the service tech was "matt" who now works at euro wrench werks, call him if you think this is not true

some dealers will do a warranty approved ecu flash, I believe it is REVO software

Some dealers of ecu flashes "tunio" will talk about vehicles on trailers because of tuning modules, after being challenged several times in these forums he has yet to produce one picture of a damaged car because of a tuning module; he has however, bricked a member's ecu with a fubared ecu flash

if it was my car I would make this choice, install a tuning module that can be removed prior to VW servicing , this is a true "invisible" solution

if I went the ecu flash route I would go to Malone tuning, he is local, skilled and has a dpf friendly tune

good luck and consider all of you options

http://malonetuning.com/

Subaruski

TDI
2010 A3
So far the options I see for a 2010 A3 TDI are:

REVO
Malone Tuning
Digi CR2

After talking to a Revo rep and Malone Tuning it sounds like they both get similar results. Revo didnt comment on being warranty approved.

DJGonzo

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta 2.0 BHW
first of all as a newbie here you may have noticed the chip vs ecu flash wars (bias towards one solution or another)

the bully dog module is not a resistor or cheap clone, it is actually a computer that can be flashed via the usb port on the back

my friend "sparke" has the digi cr installed on a 2009 with zero pump, cat or dpf problems, the module has not been detuned by the ecu and he just recently returned from a 1000km trip to the bc interior (williams lake) with better fuel economy

with regards to the ecu flashes being "invisible" this is simply a lie, I have seen with my own eyes the owner of a v10 toureg tdi get his warranty discarded at Sports VW (maple ridge). His tranny failed, they hooked up the car to the factory scan tools and found his "invisible" tune instantly, he was handed a $6800 bill for a new tranny, the service tech was "matt" who now works at euro wrench werks, call him if you think this is not true

some dealers will do a warranty approved ecu flash, I believe it is REVO software

Some dealers of ecu flashes "tunio" will talk about vehicles on trailers because of tuning modules, after being challenged several times in these forums he has yet to produce one picture of a damaged car because of a tuning module; he has however, bricked a member's ecu with a fubared ecu flash

if it was my car I would make this choice, install a tuning module that can be removed prior to VW servicing , this is a true "invisible" solution

if I went the ecu flash route I would go to Malone tuning, he is local, skilled and has a dpf friendly tune

good luck and consider all of you options

http://malonetuning.com/
A responsible tuner would keep a backup of your ECU in a file. Better yet, you should always ask for a copy of the original file and save it in a safe place! Do not go in the dealer with your ECU tuned. Go back to stock. Your tuner can flash you back to stock. Problem solved.

F1 tuning

Vendor
TDI
Varios TDI
A responsible tuner would keep a backup of your ECU in a file. Better yet, you should always ask for a copy of the original file and save it in a safe place! Do not go in the dealer with your ECU tuned. Go back to stock. Your tuner can flash you back to stock. Problem solved.
Sorry but keep flashing the ECU change the flash counter,
Original information are obtainable by reading-write the ECU on the bench, also can be clone as well
So if anyone want to switch stock to take at the dealer is only one option second ECU
I ave not see any of my client ask to return to stock, i got cars done 2 years in few days, never an issue
Regardless Dealers are the one send me those car to be tuned.....

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
Last edited:

DJGonzo

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta 2.0 BHW
Sorry but keep flashing the ECU change the flash counter,
Original information are obtainable by reading-write the ECU on the bench, also can be clone as well
So if anyone want to switch stock to take at the dealer is only one option second ECU
I ave not see any of my client ask to return to stock, i got cars done 2 years in few days, never an issue
Regardless Dealers are the one send me those car to be tuned.....
So let me get this straight, you can read the stock maps and flash tuned ones, but you cannot write the stock ones back on? :confused:
Flash counters should be able to be resetted unless its some hardcore alien stuff...

pyankura

Vendor
TDI
2005 golf a4 body style
Let me straighten this up for Tonino (language barrier thing) and tell you what he means...

The most affective way for this situation is a second ecu. This way if you are worried you can swap no worries! It would be impossible for us to reflash all the med/edc17 cars we done to stock for every dealer visit.

When we tune med/edc17 there is a back up and the great tool we use make it impossible to do otherwise.

The flash counter is NOT changed! It is left as it was stating the last flash that was done by the dealer, date and all!

The great tool we use does have its limitations, very few, but some nonetheless:

1. resetting flash counters- we can reset alot but not yet med/17edc. When done in boot mode this does not change anyway so not worried.

2. obd flashing- we can do almost all through obd except med/edc17. Then we would be concerned about flash counters.

So for all the great and safe things these tools do and the few mentioned limitations. We have no worries except expensive updates as technology is ever expanding. :)

So let me get this straight, you can read the stock maps and flash tuned ones, but you cannot write the stock ones back on? :confused:
Flash counters should be able to be resetted unless its some hardcore alien stuff...