Diesel+CNG+Water/methanol

AnArKey

TDI
N/A
I'm looking at potentially getting a TDI. I have been playing with modifying turbocharged gasoline motors for several years, selling methanol/water injection kits. My attention and passion has turned to efficiency and renewability over sheer speed, so I come to TDI's.

So, here's the idea. Take a standard TDI. I'd personally run biodiesel in it, with maybe a WVO kit.

Next phase is trickier. How does the TDI control fuel injection? Is it all electronic (the phase and duration of the injection)? If so, great. I'd install a aftermarket computer, probably a AEM EMS. This would give me the ability to have a fully capable duel fuel engine, running up to 90% CNG as the fuel source. I'd simply install some CNG injectors, and cut the diesel injection way back. With the flip of a switch it could revert to full diesel operation.

Note by doing the above, you can push up the power on the TDI without changing fuel pumps or nozzles, etc. The CNG will give the extra power.

Now lastly, I'd integrate methanol/water injection into the engine, using the same computer control. This is simply a charge air cooler, which in my experience on turbocharged air, cools off VERY effectively. Puts a front mount intercooler to shame. It would also boost MPG by 10% at least.

You would be able to make the kind of power you would otherwise need a full front mount intercooler, upgraded nozzles, upgraded fuel pump, and a full "chip" upgrade. You'd get better mileage, and if you go get the CNG "Phill" product, can fill up the CNG at home (if you have CNG at home) for 50-60% of the cost of diesel.

The effective mileage, calculated for $/mile, would be like 70-80MPG.

Just thinking out loud. How much would someone pay for a complete system like this?

mojogoes

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk3 tdi golf
So what do you get in your full kit , and even though you would use a stand alone system to add the cng+water methanol the motor would still need to be re-mapped would it not , wouldn't it be better to have a programme to be able to use fuels like cng and methanol and even n20 incorporated into the software/eprom and then less hastle with just one brain.

Then it would nearly be a no brainer get it (ha)

Last edited: