H7 bulbs - burned out in 9 mo.

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta (gone), 2002 Passat (gone), 2009 JSW (VW bought), 2010 JSW
I bought a set of Sylvania Silverstar Zxe's last summer. Today, one burned out. For $60 I expected better longevity. I am looking into their 1yr warranty, but if that doesn't pan out, or in 9 months I will be looking for something better.

I am reasonably happy with the light output of the Zxe's. But I think they should last a bit longer!

With all the LED tech out there, is there a good retrofit for them? Or do I just keep buying H7's? I did look at Daniel Sterns site and sent him an email. He has a a Phillips brand that he recommends that are far cheaper than the Zxe's, so perhaps I'm stuck with that option??

Thanks!

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I run the Osram/Sylvania Silverstar Ultras in all my cars, and they are maybe not the longest lasting bulbs I agree. I of course ditch any DRLs I have too, so that helps lengthen their life considerably.

You can find them online for less than $60/pr. Heck, I think even Walmart sells them for less than $50/pr.

I always buy the pairs, and usually buy a few pairs at a time. I think maybe they cost me around $15/ea bulb or so. I have not had to buy any in a while, though.

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
Mr. Stern recommends these at half the price of the Silverstars:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QJWTQYY/?tag=2402507-20

Osram is going to send me a replacement set (very fast response). I am asking for a set of the Ultra's as I want to get away from the tinted glass.

I kinda like the DRL feature, even at the cost of new bulbs every year...

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
The OEM osram ultra long life h7's last a long, long time. And a pair is only $15. I have silverstar ultras in my low beams now- they are bit brighter, which is good. They do have some of the blue tinted glass around the tip. I also got some ultra long life bulbs for spares.

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
To get the bulbs to be brighter, but the same wattage, the manufacturer uses a shorter life filament...
This is well documented, and even stated on the package if you compare the expected life of the dimmer regular life, and the even dimmer long life units...it's a trade...there was even a class action lawsuit over it a few years back.
When I used those bulbs, I had to keep a spare in the glove box...and even with buying them on rockauto.com, the $$ still added up in a few months...

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, I will now have a spare after Osram sends me replacements. They are Ultra's so we will see what happens down the road.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I bought a set of Sylvania Silverstar Zxe's last summer. Today, one burned out. For $60 I expected better longevity. I am looking into their 1yr warranty, but if that doesn't pan out, or in 9 months I will be looking for something better.
I am reasonably happy with the light output of the Zxe's. But I think they should last a bit longer!
With all the LED tech out there, is there a good retrofit for them? Or do I just keep buying H7's? I did look at Daniel Sterns site and sent him an email. He has a a Phillips brand that he recommends that are far cheaper than the Zxe's, so perhaps I'm stuck with that option??
Thanks!
If you look at the rated life of Silverstars, you'll find that it's significantly less than a standard headlamp because they are slightly over-driven in order to increase their output.

Most ultra-long life lamps sacrifice light output for longevity.

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased

Thanks!
"higher performance" bulbs reduce bulb life. Can't have both. Blue coatings filter out a lot of light, so they need to boost up the bulbs to get it to meet output requirements, this in turn reduces life.

If you want an H7 that lasts, get a Longlife bulb (which comes from the factory).
https://www.powerbulbs.com/us/store/category/car-bulbs/fitting/h7-499/bulb-type/eco-and-long-life

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
Great discussion. That's the trouble with technology improving so rapidly. We want the lighting from modern HID and LED vehicles in our older hoopties...

andykurz

TDI
shopping
"higher performance" bulbs reduce bulb life. Can't have both. Blue coatings filter out a lot of light, so they need to boost up the bulbs to get it to meet output requirements, this in turn reduces life.

If you want an H7 that lasts, get a Longlife bulb (which comes from the factory).
https://www.powerbulbs.com/us/store/category/car-bulbs/fitting/h7-499/bulb-type/eco-and-long-life
This is absolutely right. If you want long life, don't buy the fancy bulbs.

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
planned obsolescence exists in more than just relatively inexpensive light bulbs...