92 Toyota ALH TDI

joewrench

TDI
92 Toyota pickup w/ ALH TDI
I've had my tdi Toyota running for a few years.
So here's the basics.
ALH engine
vnt17 hybrid
.280 injectors
11mm pump
Fx300 10" clutch masters clutch
V6 trans
Custom made adapter plate by local machine shop
Malone tuning

So I just upgraded to the r150 trans and got it all out together but the starter didn't engage. Did some research and figured out the v6 ring gear has 120 teeth and the 4cyl. flywheel I'm using has 115. I haven't found a flywheel with 6 bolts that has 120 teeth. Only thing I found is grinding the starter to move it closer. Which I don't really like.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=3734795&postcount=17

But I want to get it running again after being down for over a month so I just did it to get me going. What are the others doing for flywheel with the r150 trans??

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
Have enough fuel?? :p Awesome build, think you could fire off a few photos for our gallery? always happy to see these things used properly.

Last edited:

joewrench

TDI
I'm not sure that it's used properly lol! I've got the stage 3 tuned for .205 injectors and 2.5 bar map but I've got .280 injectors and 3 bar map lol. Not exactly recommended I know! But it works quite well!! Boost comes on plenty early I think which makes me worry about turbo reliability. But I've been running it like this for over a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joewrench

TDI
Well, the inevitable happened and I blew my turbo:(. Money is kinda tight right now but my dream is to go compound turbo. But I'm not sure if the stock internals will be able to handle the boost. I'm thinking stock early tdi wastgated turbo or gt2052 for hi pressure and holset he221w or hx30 for low pressure.

Ranch

TDI
ALH
Joewrench,
I'm looking at clutches for my swap.. how is your clutchmasters working out?
I'm staying with the w56 and smaller flywheel.. and was wondering if the fx300 is 'enough'.

joewrench

TDI
Shuda kept my mouth shut lol

I haven't had mine long but I'm guessing I was making 300 ftlb and it slipped a bit right after I put it in but I believe it takes a while to fully break in.

joewrench

TDI
Does anybody have drawings for the exhaust manifold flange for 8v? Or a good place to buy them at a good price? I'm thinking I'll build my own header manifold.

Ranch

TDI
ALH

joewrench

TDI
Finally got my compounds together and running! I went with the k03 early tdi turbo for the hi pressure and hx30 for the low pressure hoping to not get to much boost to early for the stock bottom end. It seems to be working well. I have the hi pressure set to make about 18psi over the low pressure and the low pressure is set at 18 which puts me up at 36. That's getting plenty hi for a stock bottom end I'm thinking!! I'm trying to figure out an effective way to limit the boost closer to 30. I don't hit 36 till about 2500 rpm but that still seems like it's rod buckling boost.

Last edited:

vtpsd

Veteran Member
TDI
03 jsw TDI, audi 90 AHU swap
when do you start getting boost? I see 35psi of boost at 2600 rpm with my single he211 on my AHU.

vtpsd

Veteran Member
TDI
03 jsw TDI, audi 90 AHU swap
Yes I do. Interesting to see those boost numbers. i get peak boost about the same time, but you get significant boost earlier. I think I have about 5 psi by 1800. Makes total sense, and I suppose that is the whole point of a compound setup!

Owain@malonetuning

TDI
PD jetta wagon
Didn't we set that thing to 30 PSI? haha. How's the fueling? EGTs climb pretty quick. That's some impressive low RPM boost! feel free to send some logs my way.

joewrench

TDI

joewrench

TDI
What's the optimal rpm for fuel efficiency on an ALH? I replaced the 5th gear gearset in the r150 trans with r452 gears. 4.10 rear ends 32in tires and a .69 overdrive now. My cruising rpm at 100 kph is now about 1800. I love how much quieter it is in the cab but my first tank of fuel was only 22 mpg!! Pretty bad from the 35 I got when my rpm was about 2400. But it was also my first tank with the compound turbos so I've been into the throttle a lot!! It has plenty of power for cruising at that rpm but I'm not ok with that kind of fuel mileage!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Owain@malonetuning

TDI
PD jetta wagon
Anywhere around peak torque typically, lower doesn't hurt I'm rarely past 2500 in my PD and it spends a lot of time in the 1800 range getting 40 mpg city. Should get back towards the 30s once your right foot calms down ;) colder temps hurt fuel economy by at least 10% too