rear caliper piston just spins?

VFchicago88

Banned
Got the windback tool from autzone.... It spins pretty decently but It isnt going back in at all! I am trying to push while I turn pretty hard.... any suggestions?

david_594

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS Silver
I am not familiar with the autozone tool. But you said it is spinning the piston right? But its not pushing it back in?

Is there some nut on the spinning shaft of the tool that you hold which would cause the shaft to then push in? It would be in front of the plate that is pushing against the opposite side of the caliper.

So when you are sititng there, one hand is spinning the tool and the other hand is holding a wrench on the nut so that the spinning motion is actualy making the tool push forward on the piston.

VFchicago88

Banned
This is virtually the same thing as the metalnerd tool. But I got it! It just took a lot of spinning to get it to start going in for some reason... and on the other side, it was inconsistent, it would spin, but only move in half of the time

thank you for your responses.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I betcha the tool he's using is the little cube with different pin patterns on each side. That cube is only capable of rotating the piston, but it needs to be compressed at the same time in order to make the piston go back.

I've done it by putting the cube on a socket and short extension, then putting a big woodworker's clamp around the entire deal (caliper, tool+extension+ratchet) then turn a little, squeeze a little, turn a little, squeeze a little. Awkward, but it got the job done.